Skate style helmet- Mtbr.com

Apr 2005

Skate style helmet

Bell scuffle and GT ollie are both under 10$ at Pricepoint. Anyone use these? Are they decent multi-impacts or will I crack my sweaty skull the first time I head-butt grandpa?

Thanks

Jan 2006
    GT ollie. i got that last month at pricepoint. nice helmet. and it is that exact same one as the 661 mullet and a few others that are $30.00+ i use it instead of my fullface. good buy.

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacation Special
    Bell scuffle and GT ollie are both under 10$ at Pricepoint. Anyone use these? Are they decent multi-impacts or will I crack my sweaty skull the first time I head-butt grandpa?

Thanks
    There is no coming back from head butting grandpa my friend.

Feb 2004
    You're my boy, Blue!!!

Now with flavor!!
    They're both styrofoam coolers that are garbage after one good whack.

Check the new protecs. The foam cores really do reassume their shape.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    They're both styrofoam coolers that are garbage after one good whack.

Check the new protecs. The foam cores really do reassume their shape.
    i tryed on one of the new protecs they have really small pads in them so they are really uncomfertable, but maby you would like the feel. if you have a sports authority near you go and try one on and see for your self

Sep 2004
    Ummm...maybe i'm crazy here but helmets, any helmet, is supposed to be replaced after one crash. Am I crazy?

Might want to look at a Giro Semi. I think they're $20 more dollars but you get a visor and some more vents.

mtbr member
    no, some better helmets = better materials and better impact absorption, so some of them (most full-face helmets, and alot of good skate helmets) will be able to sustain multiple impacts with breaking. if one cracks, then replace it.

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ANdRewLIu6294
    no, some better helmets = better materials and better impact absorption, so some of them (most full-face helmets, and alot of good skate helmets) will be able to sustain multiple impacts with breaking. if one cracks, then replace it.
    umm not so much.... even if the shell is not cracked , it does not mean the liner is still able to take another good hit. The liners are ment to absorb the hit and break down, instead of busting your melon like a cantelope..If you hit hard enough to get your clock cleaned, I would really think about replacing the helmet.

mtbr member
    yeah, but the difference between the EPS foam and the styrofoam type is a really big difference

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Is Pro-tec still making their helmets the same as they were doing like 7 or 8 years ago with two layers of fairly squishy foam (relatively speaking)... Mine is totally beat and I'd like to get a new one but every helmet I'm seeing uses that freaking hard ass styrofoam crap for the liner... unlike the old protecs.
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ANdRewLIu6294
    yeah, but the difference between the EPS foam and the styrofoam type is a really big difference
    yer right,,styrofoam is even sh1ttier,, if i see birdies, im gettin a new lid..small price to pay..

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    Is Pro-tec still making their helmets the same as they were doing like 7 or 8 years ago with two layers of fairly squishy foam (relatively speaking)...
    EDIT: nevermind, Just realized that was a question

I just spent a few days trying to find one and couldn't.

That's why I got the newer style.

It LOOKS just like the styrofoam crap but it's compressible and returns the shape.

They're calling it sxp or something like that.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 03-09-2006 at 07:37 PM.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddy_ryder
    umm not so much.... even if the shell is not cracked , it does not mean the liner is still able to take another good hit. The liners are ment to absorb the hit and break down, instead of busting your melon like a cantelope..If you hit hard enough to get your clock cleaned, I would really think about replacing the helmet.
    its still better than not wearing a helmet at all

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by toyota kawasaki
    its still better than not wearing a helmet at all
    youre totally right, if your only helmet you have has been crashed and not cracked, and you cant afford a new one, by all means, wear it.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by chucker1221
    i tryed on one of the new protecs they have really small pads in them so they are really uncomfertable, but maby you would like the feel. if you have a sports authority near you go and try one on and see for your self

I actually just got one. You're right. It's not as comfy as the older squishy ones. I couldn't find one of those though.

I haven't beat my head on anything yet but I'm curious to see if it lasts. I've pressed on the liner pretty hard and it does return to it's original shape after a few seconds. That's why I got it. I crash a lot.

Imback
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacation Special

Thanks
    I love DH

Apr 2005
    I agree that a multi impact shouldn't be considered undestructible, but it should be able to handle small taps and getting kicked around the kitchen better than a light weight trail helmet. I think a skate lid would be better for the dirt park and bumming around town because you shouldn't have to replace it as often.

Members who have read this thread: 0