Sizing a full-face Helmet? - No LBS Stocks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Sizing a full-face Helmet? - No LBS Stocks

Could anyone advise me on sizing a full-face helmet? I have checked all my LBS, and non stock full-face helmets.

I've got a head circumference of 23", and from what google tells me - this puts me RIGHT on the edge of Medium/Large.

I'm leaning towards a large - specifically because I have kinda thick hair and too tight would instantly be VERY uncomfortable.

But I am unsure - could anyone offer any insight?

Looking at a 661 Comp II specifically, but open to other suggestions as well - in case the specific helmet matters.

Gnar
    Helmets and shorts, those are two items I really like to try on before I buy. You could try to stay with the same brand, like if you wear a cross country Giro helmet in a medium then go for a Giro Remedy in a medium too. Make sure the sizing numbers match up first. I have a Remedy in medium and the packaging for the 08 model says it fits 21.75 - 23.25. It fits nice and snug. I donít know my actual head measurement. I tried the large Remedy and it was way loose. I really like my Remedy, but I tried on a 661 in Large and it fit so much better. My next helmet will be a 661.

Do you have some riding buddies that wear full face helmets? Could you try on theirs. Do it before the ride though.

Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008
    661's run small. Especially if you've got a big head like me. Giro's fit me best, but every head is different.

Underskilled
    Helmets are 100% try before yo buy at this level.
    It is not just the circumference but the shape, that is important.

Don't waste your money buying online.

Find a place you want to visit (i.e. Glentress) then book a weekend there and get a helmet at the bike shops there.

seriously, you will be wasting your time and money buying without trying.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You could also try a Moto shop for brands that build both bike and moto helmets (i.e. 661, TLD, Fox). Typically their bike helmets will have a similar fit to their moto line.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Fuel
    like if you wear a cross country Giro helmet in a medium then go for a Giro Remedy in a medium too.
    This is what I did. I ride a Large E2, so I bought a large Remedy. Fit perfect.
    The mountains are calling and I must go

boing
    Jan 2010
    I ordered a 661 comp 2 from Universal Cycles. I measured my head @ 22 3/4 (between Med. and Lrg.) so I went with a medium. It felt a bit snug but after a few hours it fit perfectly. I also have thick hair. BTW, I am very happy with the helmet but the highly-vented jaw-guard is a little bit more flexy then I expected.

Members who have read this thread: 0