Which size Sidi shoes??

Printable View

• 06-17-2009
    JTeezy
    Which size Sidi shoes??
    I've decided on a Sidi Dominator 5 MTB shoe in the MEGA width...my last pair of shoes (Specialized Pro MTB) made my toes numb (not a bike fit issue, because my older Nikes don't cause numbness on the same bike)...

I buy a size 11 in all my street/athletic shoes...and my last comfy pair of wide Nike cycling shoes...

I can't decide between the 45.5 and the 46 in the Sidi...Sidi's size chart puts an American 11 equal to a 45.5, but the 46 has a wee bit more width...

both are more than long enough, and i'm afraid the 46 might be a tad too long (not much longer than the 45.5...

but i'm afraid the 45.5 might be a tad tighter...

will the 45.5 stretch a little to perfection? will the 46 end up being floppy?

the LBS owner said to go with the 46, but also said the extra length might make it impossible to get the cleat back far enough...

at $200+, i'd like to get this one right the first time...thaanks.
  • 06-17-2009
    afie
    Both will stretch, but there are three points to tighten. Too big and you can wear thicker socks.
  • 06-18-2009
    KERKOVEJ
    Agree with the earlier comment. Sidi shoes stretch and form to your foot with usage. I wear a size 11 in a civilian shoe....and a 45.5 in Sidi. I wear a slightly thicker sock made by Swiftwick for all my riding.
  • 06-18-2009
    JTeezy
    Jeff...I am the same as you (size 11 in everything else)...are you recommending a 45.5 or 46?
  • 06-18-2009
    12wheels
    How wide are your feet? I wear EE-EEE, depending upon who measures them, and the correct length mega's are too narrow. They are comfortable for about 6 hours of riding but became too tight as my feet swell and loosening the front straps never solved the problem. If you really have wide feet, size up or check out other brands like Lake who market wide shoes which are actually EE.
  • 06-18-2009
    JTeezy
    it's hard to describe. my feet don't look wide, but i have these wide "bumps" under my big toe and pinky toe. when i put a standard width on they feel way too tight at the widest point from bump to bump...even the LBS owner noticed this weird bump width. the wide/mega width feel so much better! my feet also seem to swell quite a bit as the hours wear on (shoes can get uncomfortable). i have a pair of lake winter shoes in a wide and they are better, but still not perfect for me.

i think i should just get the 46 mega, but the LBS owner said something about the cleat range of adjustment under the shoe maybe being too far forward in the 46 (too far forward near the toes...and that i might not be able to get the cleat far enough back in the 46 to position it under the ball of my foot because the 46 is wide enough, but maybe a tad too long). does that make sense?
  • 06-18-2009
    KERKOVEJ
    Quote:

Originally Posted by historeeteacher
    Jeff...I am the same as you (size 11 in everything else)...are you recommending a 45.5 or 46?

I would aim for the 45.5
  • 06-18-2009
    12wheels
    It does but they can be modified. I was able to extend the slots back another 1/3 of an inch with a drill and file. Sidi's are great shoes but you really need to buy the correct size for your feet. Make sure that the shoe you're buying is wide enough so that when the two front straps are loosened they actually take some pressure off the front of your foot. I know this probably sounds confusing but the problem I experienced with them was that there was not enough material in the body of the shoe behind the toes to allow me to loosen them even when the two velcro straps were unfastened. The width and volume of my feet is just too much for Sidi's Mega models. I hope you don't have the same problem because the Dominator is one of the most comfortable and best made shoes on the market. I really liked mine but they caused painful hot shots on long rides.
  • 06-18-2009
    JTeezy
    thanks...that helps. the 45.5 didn't leave me with very much "spare" velcro strap to loosen...the 46 did. maybe that's a selling point for the 46? i don't think my feet have abnormal volume, just those funky wide bumps under my big and little toes (making a pretty wide span). i would easily go with the 46 if the owner didn't make that comment about the range of cleat adjustment. maybe it will be fine with the 46...there's just no way to tell without mounting them and getting on the bike (which i don't think they want me to do). the length difference between the 45.5 and 46 doesn't seem to be that much looking down, but it does seem greater when comparing the cleat "slot" placement on the bottom.

does anyone think they can make a solid recommendation for the 45.5 or 46 based on everything in this thread? i'm just not certain...seems like a coin flip now.