sixsixone shoes - filter spd- Mtbr.com
    skillz to pay billz

sixsixone shoes - filter spd

anyone have any experience with these shoes. Are the soles pretty flexible. Light or heavy?
    https://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_66...d-254eee406449

I'm making a small transition to platforms and/or looking for something better suited for hike a bike over rocky terrain .

Any other suggestions? Probably something spd compatible so I have the option. thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    I'm making a small transition to platforms
    first a 575 ... then pads ... now platform pedals?

i see a full-face helmet in your future. soon you'll be infuc, er, inflexible.

remember, those guys in SEASONS are pros!

skillz to pay billz
    ha, full faces are looking pretty good. I took my skate lid to fruita but my shoulder is still not 100% so i didn't go nuts.

I'm just not seeing the logic of hard soled shoes on slick rocks. Still wouldn't mind a fairly stiff sole for pedaling. I guess I should go to the fix and try some shoe on.

skillz to pay billz
    I tried my adidas shell toes and they have good grip but the spd option sounds kinda nice. Maybe its best to keep them separate though?

mtbr member
    Made a visit to Mojo Wheels to check those babies out for myself about two weeks ago. They are very light, but have a very thin sole. The guy who helped me said that he broke his sole (which is hard) in half on a pretty big drop wearing those same shoes. Decided to scratch the idea and bought a pair of Adidas Hematomas. They are extremely solid and have a wider base than your standard SPD shoe. The guy at Mojo said most of their riders race on them. And we all know I want to be like them...

skillz to pay billz
    thanks kyle.. er.. pyle. those look kinda interesting.

anybody used these shimano sh-mp66?

mtbr member
    haha thanks nOOby, although I don't think you can go by that name anymore. I actually saw those too and the same guy didn't really want to recommend them. In fact, he said that all of those flat skater/spd type shoes aren't very durable even though he had never ridden on those particular shoes. Just puttin' in my two cents. Good luck. Let us know which shoes you choose and how they work. I'm curious if anyone has used them too...

skillz to pay billz
    haha I'm a kyle too(although I'd be LyleKocke if I used your method )

Just starting to think about them. Looked at my shoe this past weekend and the front of the sole are totally ramped from climbing up rocks and stuff. Need a better solution.

pdh
    mtbr member
    I have the sixsixone's. I love'em. They have over a hundred days of resort riding. and the soles
    and the spd channel are in good, good shape.They are really comfortable and stiff enough
    for pedaling, dh at least. And great for hike-a-bike.
    I JUST WANT A BICYCLE!!!!! " Why-why are you yelling at me?"
    WHATEVER, MAKE ME A BICYCLE CLOWN!!!!!!!!!

skillz to pay billz
    good to hear, thanks!

..ouch
    I've had good luck with the Specialized Buzzsaw in the past. Carbon reinforced soles, good toe protection and nice ventilation. Whatever you go with, be careful cutting/peeling the rubber off for the cleat (many come with a permanently removable section of sole). If you use an exacto it's real easy to sink in too far and nick into the carbon fiber layer.

Or.... you could just cut the cord now and move to flats and a pair of 5.10s. As Terry referenced, the conversion to the dark side has begun.. it's now just a matter of time.
    starwars.gif

mtbr member
    Yeah, I use those Shimano shoes for DH/FR. They're very nice. Comfy, durable, reasonably stiff, yet walkable, they protect your feet well (and your inside ankle) and the sole is pretty grippy for platforms or hiking on rocks. Only downside is they're a little on the heavy side.

Before them I used Specialized BG Trail 120 SL. Although super comfy, stiff and light, the sole's very soft material wore out in a season. It was great for the hiking part, but they really need to make that material tougher. They're kinda pricey too. And to only last a season....Special Ed owes me some shoes....

FWIW, I always seem to find that Shimano makes some of the best shoes. 661 makes some good stuff, but I wouldn't pay full retail for their shoes. You may want to consider the 5.10 suggestion. I've done it and loved it. I didn't think that riding flats could be that much fun! But I'm a spd whore and always will be...
    Biker? I don't even know her.

skillz to pay billz
    thanks again everybody!

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by SylentK
    FWIW, I always seem to find that Shimano makes some of the best shoes. 661 makes some good stuff, but I wouldn't pay full retail for their shoes.
    I'd tend to agree.. I bought a pair of 661 Descend Taki's during their online sale early this year. They didn't fit me well (it's a narrow shoe) so I ended up giving them to my son. He's been wearing them for a couple months as a regular shoe and the stitching is already coming apart in several places. Comparatively I've beaten the hell out of my Shimano's and 5.10's and they're still solid.

Oh, So Interesting!
    5.10s and platforms... you'll wonder why you ever used those silly clip-in things. Plus, being a derivative of climbing rubber, they grip like crazy on rock, very good for hike-a-bike...

I think with the 661 shoes you have to permanently remove a section of the sole to attach the cleat, which means they aren't good for platform pedals anymore. I've used a few clip/platform combo pedals, and the only thing they are good for is if you miss a clip-in on a rough or techy section of trail, other than that they are useless. Keep the clips and the platforms separate.

skillz to pay billz
    thanks dave, I starting to think this is best. I should take my adidas shell toes and session some tech and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    Keep the clips and the platforms separate.

The clipless will still be be used many days on longer rides with climbs. I'll swap pedals.

mtbr member
    Right on. I've got those too. The best ones out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

skillz to pay billz
    haha, I'm still planning on riding here, not shooting hoops

I'm sure they're badass though

Oh, So Interesting!

They come in low-tops too

..ouch
    thanks dave, I starting to think this is best. I should take my adidas shell toes and session some tech and see how it goes.
    Now you're talkin'. Just make sure you get a decent pair of flats to give it a proper try with. The Fix guys have some economical platforms in stock as well as a good stock of 5.10s in back.

Outcast
    What Thump said: 5:10's, I recommend the lowcut for your purposes.
    Once you try flats, you may not go back......

edit: Noob, I can lend you a cheap set of flats, They may help you select a nicer pair to buy down the road.

Living the High Life
    Yeah, but the high tops keep out rocks and protect your ankles. I have a nasty scar right above my ankle that could have been much worse if the rock had not stopped at the shoe.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Yeah, but the high tops keep out rocks and protect your ankles. I have a nasty scar right above my ankle that could have been much worse if the rock had not stopped at the shoe.
    Ithnu, I agree with you about the protection that the high-tops offer [plus the ladies love them ]; the reason I suggest the low tops is I'm guessing Nooby may be doing a lot of pedaling. I ride my flats/5:10's for everything, so I like the low version for the pedaling.

mtbr member

that...was just weak.

skillz to pay billz
    yah, probably more pedaling than straight downhillin'.

Renegade, thanks for the offer. I've got a set of pedals so I should be good.

Pyle, I can only try.

Members who have read this thread: 0