sir 9 test ride...warning, no helmet or skill pics...- Mtbr.com
    mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004

sir 9 test ride...warning, no helmet or skill pics...

woo hoo, its 40degrees out and i got the last part neede, i've been in my yard for an hour, but the kid could only be bothered to take a couple of pics "daaaaddd, not now!" and she's not even close to being a teenager yet....
    i'm also thinking pegged jeans are going to be the new fashion statement this spring.
    oh yeah, just to keep this on topic, i'll be testing a 26er on same wall later...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mcd; 03-06-2006 at 01:21 PM. Reason: forgot to dis 26ers...
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

mtbr member
    Mert - have you ridden with justbill from the NEMBA forums? He'll bestow the virtues of riding in denim to you - he's also a mighty fine cook btw!

Nice looking bike!!!

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Mert - have you ridden with justbill from the NEMBA forums? He'll bestow the virtues of riding in denim to you - he's also a mighty fine cook btw!

Nice looking bike!!!
    I haven't ever ridden with him yet, missed him on a couple of the nemba events. IME anyone who rides in denim is either a newcomer, which is fine, or a total hammer who i won't see til the after ride party...i'm just dialing in the bike in my yard. hence no helmet and jeans...

MTB Rider

Try gaters ...

Quote Originally Posted by mcd
    woo hoo, its 40degrees out and i got the last part neede, i've been in my yard for an hour, but the kid could only be bothered to take a couple of pics "daaaaddd, not now!" and she's not even close to being a teenager yet....
    i'm also thinking pegged jeans are going to be the new fashion statement this spring.
    oh yeah, just to keep this on topic, i'll be testing a 26er on same wall later...
    Gaters are the perfect winter cycling accessory. They turn any cheap ass pair of "plastic pants" into tights. Plus they're also useful for hiking.

The pictures look great. I'm saving for a Sir 9 right now. The deal on the frame + fork + brakes cannot be beat. Hopefully they'll offer blue or black by the time I can actually buy one.

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by mcd
    I haven't ever ridden with him yet, missed him on a couple of the nemba events. IME anyone who rides in denim is either a newcomer, which is fine, or a total hammer who i won't see til the after ride party...i'm just dialing in the bike in my yard. hence no helmet and jeans...
    so true! i see you sorted your dilemma out just fine. hope to ride with you this spring and check out the niner.
    Only boring people get bored.

Belltown Brazer
    Nice wall...nothing says New England more than a nice dry stack. No easy-to-stack flatties here, we're making the walls with the roundies and the boulders.

Oh yea, nice bike too. I wonder if it's the first Niner in NE...

B
    East Hampton, CT

OT: NE stone walls

Quote Originally Posted by MDEnvEngr
    Nice wall...nothing says New England more than a nice dry stack. No easy-to-stack flatties here, we're making the walls with the roundies and the boulders.

Oh yea, nice bike too. I wonder if it's the first Niner in NE...

B
    East Hampton, CT
    sorta OT, but I sort of doubt that's a dry stack. looks like the mason just did a great job keeping the mortar away from the front.

BUT, if it's a dry stack with a top flat and wide enough to ride on, and built such that you can ride it without losing any stones... the mason is a true artist.

lots of old stone walls in the woods around here. i love them, as it reminds you that this was all clear cut 100+ years ago and pasture land.

I built the wall in the background in these pics. i know it's nothing great, but i do appreciate a nice stone wall now. this was a ton of work (ha!) and they are very expensive if you have someone build it. i used free quarry tailings for the stone, mixed the cement by hand and basically did this on zero budget.

stone wall masonry is a dying art, though! it's all brazilians that do it around here now. but lots of high end homes on the cape with $$$ traditional low stone walls around them that are just beautiful to behold.

ignore the bikes... i have shown these before. walls should be built with local stone. period.

( )
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    ... walls should be built with local stone. period.]

There's no shortage of local stone that's for sure. Do any digging and planting in this area and you end up with a giant pile of rocks. They tend to be either very small and round or very big and round. Nothing to do with them except stack em up somewhere.

Nice wall BTW.

Cool shots mcd.

mtbr member
    jh - do you ride exclusively single speed??

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    The stone wall in the first pic is indeed built with concrete...just built into the slope so you can't see it, here's a pic of a true hand stacked wall, who knows when it was built. and yes riding thru and around these walls just running in the middle of the woods is a cool feature of new englan riding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    jh_on_the_cape where did you get thoose funky red leavers for the Avids from?

Quote Originally Posted by LIMEY
    jh_on_the_cape where did you get thoose funky red leavers for the Avids from?
    old avid ultimate levers. cant remember where i got them, but they used to make lots of colors. i even broke a blade and sent it back and they replaced it with red, which they said they didnt have much more of.

so one is much more faded than the other.

more info than you needed, for sure.

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Nice bike.
    Nice wall.

For crying out loud, wear a helmet when you are performing in front of your daughter. How can you expect her to wear one when she's merely "riding around the yard..."

*off*
    Spinning and Grinning...

Members who have read this thread: 0