singlespeed gloves??- Mtbr.com
    conjoinicorned

singlespeed gloves??

hey all,

i'm finding the more i SS, the more gloves i'm tearing thru. i find with all the standing and pulling up on the bars, i'm tearing thru gloves just above the kevlar/leather pad and on the bottoms of the fingers. is there a glove that has a larger kevlar pad, or some non-mtb gloves that work really well with SS that you guys are using?

thanks!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

holy schfincter..
    I've had a pair of fox sidewinders for about 3 years now, tough gloves just starting to tear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    try weight lifting gloves tons of thick padding there, way more comfortable but don't breathe as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

gloves

I use full finger mechanics gloves from walmart. They're comfortable, last about 7-8 months, and cheap(9.00/pr). That being said, I've never tried bike specific gloves, they may be better yet.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerRider
    I've had a pair of fox sidewinders for about 3 years now, tough gloves just starting to tear.
    I've got some Fox Sidewinders, too. I like them but I'm not sure they're any better than anything else. My favorite gloves of all time are TLD Speed Equipment off-road motorcycle gloves (they fit like a, uh, glove) but dang, at like ~$38 bucks a pop I'll find something else, thanks. I have not found that more expensive gloves last longer, in fact I think the reverse may be true. When it comes to off-road gloves I look for blowout/closeout deals from bike shops & motorcycle shops.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerRider
    I like these too, also, Specialized has a glove I am using with a padded palm (sorry, don't know model). I went to Mary bars a month ago, those help as well...for me.
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

190lbs of climber
    Just get some Oury's and ride without gloves! I have two pairs on my rigid SS. One pair on the flat bars and one pair on the bar ends. Squishy!
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member

Yeah Oury's!

and some Lizard Skins Black Komodo gloves too. They're rad.... and mighty comfy as well
    luck favors the prepared.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    bicycle union gloves seem to hold up pretty well...you should find them at a good bmx retailer.

Living the Dream

Troy Lee Designs

Hands down the best gloves I've ever owned are TLD XC gloves. The quality is phenomenal and you can usually find them on sale at Jenson or Price point for $15.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

blet drive
    straight up any fox gloves

mtbr member
    May 2004

and yet another vote for Oury's

I've used Oury's only for the past several years. Without gloves most of the time, especially when climbing. If the descents start to get on the technical side, then the gloves come out of the hydration pack. I'll buy gloves only when discounted heavily and my choices tend to lean towards Fox.

SUBLIM8er
    Cow skin all the way!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

yes

Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    Hands down the best gloves I've ever owned are TLD XC gloves. The quality is phenomenal and you can usually find them on sale at Jenson or Price point for $15.
    100% Troy Lee makes the best gloves...I had sidewinders ect... TLD makes a true XL and they last longer in the finger tips...Race Face makes a great glove as well

mtbr member
    Actually my reaction to this post is that ferday is doing something wrong to tear through all those gloves. When you have a good grip, there should be no pulling on the gloves. There must be a lot of rubbing motion as you muscle the handlebar.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    for me oury grips, while quite comfortable, are too big for my hands. they are the only grips i've ever had on a mtb that have given me blisters.

i recently bought a set of ESI grips and they are fantastic. could ride without gloves very easily with this grips.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Brooklyn machine works gloves. By far the longest wearing gloves i have ever used. Last 2-3X longer than the sidewinders i was using before.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    hey all,

i'm finding the more i SS, the more gloves i'm tearing thru. i find with all the standing and pulling up on the bars, i'm tearing thru gloves just above the kevlar/leather pad and on the bottoms of the fingers. is there a glove that has a larger kevlar pad, or some non-mtb gloves that work really well with SS that you guys are using?

thanks!
    Are your gloves too small?

Sounds like they are literally bursting at the seams to me.

When you spread your fingers and flatten your hand you should not have any pulling or binding and have no gap between the glove and hand between your fingers and especially the thumb and index finger.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I'm replying to this thread as I had never had anything like the kind of wear I'm seeing now that I'm SSing. I wear out only the finger tips of the gloves I 've been using this past winter. Never had that happen before. And, yes Shiggy, my fit is correct. The original poster is experiencing some additional wear that I am not. I haven't been too pleased with gloves I've found the last few years. I want to try some of those TLDs y'all mention.

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    Actually my reaction to this post is that ferday is doing something wrong to tear through all those gloves. When you have a good grip, there should be no pulling on the gloves. There must be a lot of rubbing motion as you muscle the handlebar.
    My reply to the original post is...sorry...but this seems like kind of a funny question. Which gloves are best for SS? C'mon, seriously? Just seems a bit over the top to me.

I will say I find more leverage and easier climbing with H bars. But before I got them I wasn't going through gloves willy nilly.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I've used:
    Fox
    Specialized
    Oakley
    Dianese

Specialized gloves are disposable. They are great, with the body geometry pad...but usually fall apart in a few short months.

Oakley gloves are joke. 10 rides and done.

Dianese are way too hot, rise up too high on the wrist, but have great feel.

Across the board, Fox rules the roost. I have pairs that are years old. The velcro is tired, but they just plain last without giving me blisters on the outside of my palm where the edge of the bar hits. Madre also loves her fox gloves over all her others.
    She once used some Kona gloves, I think at the Puff....she came home with open blisters across her palms...no thank you to those!

long story short...anything Fox! If it's good enough for a motorcycle..it's good enough for an SS.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudflaps
    I'm replying to this thread as I had never had anything like the kind of wear I'm seeing now that I'm SSing. I wear out only the finger tips of the gloves I 've been using this past winter. Never had that happen before. And, yes Shiggy, my fit is correct. The original poster is experiencing some additional wear that I am not. I haven't been too pleased with gloves I've found the last few years. I want to try some of those TLDs y'all mention.
    I came to this thread after searching for SS glove ideas with the search function. My Dakine gloves are getting beat up from SSing. I find they like to bunch up in my palm and I have to work them around a bit to get the grip I want. I am sick of it. The fingers are ripping. I loved the gloves until I started SSing.

I need new gloves that will not bunch up in the palm. It hurts on the decents until I work the palm bunch out.

Reviewer/Tester

When I wear gloves...

.........I wear Fox Digits or Fox Tahoe.

However, I prefer to ride without gloves and with ESI Silicone "Chunky" grips...Lovely.. ")

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    why should gloves care how many speeds you have?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    .........I wear Fox Digits or Fox Tahoe.

However, I prefer to ride without gloves and with ESI Silicone "Chunky" grips...Lovely.. ")

R.
    Wow! I just ordered a set of the chunky grips on a whim from www.scratchyracing.com. Great guy scratchy. I was ordering ENO cranks from him anyway, so I thought I would try the ESI grips. Nice to know they have been a good call to try out.

They are going on the Mary bars that are on the way as well! I have to wear gloves or the trees/branches will tear my hands up. Sometimes we are a bit short on trail and big on woods if you know what I mean. The trails up here can be pretty tight as well. The back of my hands and fingers can get beat on pretty bad.

Thanks for the heads up on the Chunky grips. Now that I think about it, I believe I have seen you mention them before when I was in lurk mode. Maybe that is what led me to them. I also figured if scratchy had them, they were worthy for something.

Thanks. I think I will wait to change out of my Dakine's untiol after I try the Marys with the Chunkys. And now that I think about that. I best wait for the Niner with the Reba as well!

I must be getting antsy.

Wheel building addict.
    Mar 2005
    I use motorcycle gloves. I used to use motorcross gloves for mtb, but since most of my riding is on the streets on a fixie, I've switched to road motorcycle gloves. I usually opt for the ones with the gel padding and the plastic/carbon knuckles. I don't recommend Joe Rocket Supermoto gloves, though. I wore down and ripped the gauze-like covering on the gel pad the first ride I did. They were like, $75 bucks. It's funny when motorcycle gloves can't handle the rigors of one bicycle ride, and I used road drops with foam bartape!

Members who have read this thread: 0