Simple helmet question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Simple helmet question

Why do MTB helmets have visors and road helmets don't?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The riding position on a road bike tends to be less upright so a visor can interfere with your ability to look ahead down the road.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder
    The Mountain Bike magazine "Style Man" said it was the visor that makes it a mtb helmet. Not that it matters what he thinks but the point is that it's a matter of fashion rather than function that distinguishes the two. You may get some looks from the fashion police but if it works for you, do whatever you like.

TNC
    noMAD man

A couple of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder
    If riders could use visors on the road without negative effects, I'm sure most riders would use them. I don't believe it's a style issue because there are real reasons why they don't work well on a road bike. One poster already mentioned the riding position on a road bike that makes it downright uncomfortable to try to use a visor--neck pain. Also you frequently attain speeds on a road bike where the visor becomes somewhat of a wind drag. I really notice this on stretches of dirt road or pavement on my dirt motorcycle with my visor equipped helmet. Occasionally I hear some say that it's a style issue concerning a visor on an MTB bike helmet. Riding late or early in the day disposes of this myth. Low hang leaves and branches on trails is another problem helped by visors. The sun shade issue is more important on an MTB than a road bike. You have to see while riding both venues, but you really need to see greater detail while riding on dirt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There's lots of good reasons to wear a visor while mountain biking (even though I don't wear one) as you stated. There's also good reasons to wear a visor while road biking and roadies do use them, just not the ones that come on the helmet. Before there were helmets as we know them roadies wore, and still wear, caps with visors. They're often worn in inclement weather to keep rain and snow out of the eyes and off glasses. They act as head warmers in cooler weather and they are sometimes used to block the sun. The visor on biking caps is small so it doesn't interfere with vision while in the drops. So, roadies do use visors, just not helmet visors, because they saw no reason to change from their traditional caps. It's also culture and fashion.