Sidi Dragon MTB Soles - FAIL- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sidi Dragon MTB Soles - FAIL

I recently purchased Sidi Dragon 4 mtb shoes, as they have 2 ratchet closures + one velcro strap. The lugs on the soles can be replaced.

But I completely destroyed the lugs in less than 5 rides that required some hike-a-bike. I have already received a new tread replacement kit (thanks to customer service at Competitive Cyclist). Sidi does not have a user contact portal, so I chose to review & vent here.

I have worn Sidi Dominators for years. They can be perilous when walking on wet rocks, etc. but the shoes and soles always last for years.

The new lug material was supposed to offer more gription when walking. But most of the moulded lugs are now gone, as they are very soft rubber GLUED to the removable plates.

Also, beware that the ratchet closures are not BOA -they are Sidi's version of this technology, and do not work as well IMO.

Anyone else have issues with the sole tread with these shoes? Has anyone repaired the damage with an alternate to the Sidi replacement kit? Perhaps through a source that repairs hiking boots? Soft rubber lugs on trail shoes and boots can last years in rough terrain. Shoes this expensive should be more wear resistant -esp from a top pro brand.
    I like to bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I've worn their SRS (sloe-replacement system?) shoes for 2 decades and have never had a problem with them. They're XC shoes so not really designed for serious hike-a-bike, at least for any duration. Sorry you had such a problem with them, though.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS (loaned out)
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairfaxian View Post
    I recently purchased Sidi Dragon 4 mtb shoes, as they have 2 ratchet closures + one velcro strap. The lugs on the soles can be replaced.

But I completely destroyed the lugs in less than 5 rides that required some hike-a-bike. I have already received a new tread replacement kit (thanks to customer service at Competitive Cyclist). Sidi does not have a user contact portal, so I chose to review & vent here.

I have worn Sidi Dominators for years. They can be perilous when walking on wet rocks, etc. but the shoes and soles always last for years.

The new lug material was supposed to offer more gription when walking. But most of the moulded lugs are now gone, as they are very soft rubber GLUED to the removable plates.

Also, beware that the ratchet closures are not BOA -they are Sidi's version of this technology, and do not work as well IMO.

Anyone else have issues with the sole tread with these shoes? Has anyone repaired the damage with an alternate to the Sidi replacement kit? Perhaps through a source that repairs hiking boots? Soft rubber lugs on trail shoes and boots can last years in rough terrain. Shoes this expensive should be more wear resistant -esp from a top pro brand.
    Some misinfo in your post FYI, SIDI was the first to develop the the ratchet closure and BOA copied THEIR technology, not the other way around.
    :nono:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    Some misinfo in your post FYI, SIDI was the first to develop the the ratchet closure and BOA copied THEIR technology, not the other way around.
    Thanks for the correction!
    I like to bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    I've worn their SRS (sloe-replacement system?) shoes for 2 decades and have never had a problem with them. They're XC shoes so not really designed for serious hike-a-bike, at least for any duration. Sorry you had such a problem with them, though.
    That's encouraging. My Dominators were indestructible, but slippery.

My view on mtb shoe soles is this: If you're wearing pro footwear, you're probably only going to be walking in either the most unrideable terrain, or to the cafe. So if you are walking, you'll likely need a tread doesn't feel like ice skates on greased marble. As mentioned earlier, there are many running/hiking shoes with soft grippy soles that will last for years. Perhaps there is a reason, but I've never understood why top designers like Sidi can't find a grippy DURABLE tread.

The rest of their shoes are perfect IMO. I put them on, ride all day, and never think about my feet. I've worn nothing else for over 25yrs.

The Tahoe Rim Trail southward to Star Lake (and beyond) is a popular ride. There is some mandatory hike-a-hike -which my dominators have survived numerous times. This trip saw the failure & escape of entire rear sole lugs under the Dragon 4's. The remaining lugs only stayed put bc I happened to have crazy glue for repair.
    I like to bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I bought Shimano ME2's for $44. LOL. Not making fun of anyone's purchase; it's just that I googled these shoes and the price blew my mind. Maybe some day I'll get there.

We all had a point where paying thousands for a bicycle seemed absurd, too, right?

My only real contribution is to say that I'm surprised Sidi does not have a good support channel. I don't know how manufacturers can tell top-tier gear and not also offer top-tier customer service...seems like a given to me.

mtbr member
    I installed replacement sole kit. Fairly quick repair, and affordable. But I know that another adventure weekend with any significant hikeabike could destroy the replacement kit.

Agreed on Sidi's lack of customer support. Only portal is through their dealers. No wonder so few shops carry them anymore.

They make other shoes that are designed for more walking, more of an adventure ride shoe, but the soles are very flexy which is why I chose the Dragons.

Perhaps the perfect hybrid will evolve over time.
    I like to bike.