Sidi Dominator shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Sidi Dominator shoes

I have been on the same pair of Dominators for somewhere between 10-15 years, and they have been great. I ordered a new pair of the same size (49), but they are a little too short on my left foot (my left arch is slightly collapsed, so my left foot is a bit longer than my right). So my options are to get a mismatch pair (50 on the left, 49 on the right), or keep riding the new pair and see if they stretch out some in the area of my big toe.

Does anyone have experience with the latest model of Dominators? Do you find that they have any stretch in the big toe area?

mtbr member
    Sidi will sell you just one shoe?

You can try going up a half size. I have a pair of the Dominator Fit and went up half size to get that extra bit of wiggle room in the toes. By moving up half size...you get more room in the toe area while the sole is the same length.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I appreciate the thought. Unfortunately their half sizes stop at 46.5.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Just a thought... try a new pair of insoles. I own a pair of sidi motorcross boots and the left foot fit a bit snug. Took a trip down with my boots down to the surplus store and tried a variety insoles till I got one that fit just right! Worth a shot, best of luck!

mtbr member
    Well glad your old shoes lasted you that long, somehow think you might be a "bit" disappointed with the new ones longevity. When I was first getting serious into MTBing I bought a pair back in '06 I think it was and within 6 months they came unstuck from the soles and being outside US or Europe, had to stick them back, did that twice again before I gave up on them, really disappointing for a $200+ shoe. Also did not like how hard the soles were or the lack of grip if you needed to hike a bike, dangerous as hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbgreen3 View Post
    ...........So my options are to get a mismatch pair (50 on the left, 49 on the right), or keep riding the new pair and see if they stretch out some in the area of my big toe.
    There's also the option to just get a pair of size 50. A little large is fine IME, a little too small isn't

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Well glad your old shoes lasted you that long, somehow think you might be a "bit" disappointed with the new ones longevity. When I was first getting serious into MTBing I bought a pair back in '06 I think it was and within 6 months they came unstuck from the soles and being outside US or Europe, had to stick them back, did that twice again before I gave up on them, really disappointing for a $200+ shoe. Also did not like how hard the soles were or the lack of grip if you needed to hike a bike, dangerous as hell.

I think that may have been just a fluke, those shoes have a reputation for being tough as nails and also the op's shoes were purchased in the same era that you bought yours.

Anyway mine are 10+ years old too and still in really good condition, especially for how much use they've had. The hard soles are desirable by some (including me) for pedaling efficiency and comfort on the bike. The lack of grip has never bothered me but I'm not so much into hike-a-biking.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Do you ride in the wet a lot? If not that may be the difference between us, either way, crappy product if it can't stand up to getting wet. As to the hard soles and not intending to walk, that's cool and all and always my intent, but sometimes it just can't be helped, to me these shoes are perfect for racers.

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I think that may have been just a fluke, those shoes have a reputation for being tough as nails and also the op's shoes were purchased in the same era that you bought yours.

Anyway mine are 10+ years old too and still in really good condition, especially for how much use they've had. The hard soles are desirable by some (including me) for pedaling efficiency and comfort on the bike. The lack of grip has never bothered me but I'm not so much into hike-a-biking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Do you ride in the wet a lot? If not that may be the difference between us, either way, crappy product if it can't stand up to getting wet.
    I wouldn't say a lot but my shoes do get regular dousings through creek crossings during certain times of the year, overall I've thrashed them pretty thoroughly and they've been stellar. They're not great for walking but then again my hiking shoes aren't that great for riding, they do fine when necessary for me though and I've hiked a few miles in them a time or 2.

Understand you had a bad experience but I'm not sure it's fair to label them a crappy product based on that, especially considering that the reviews I've seen are overwhelmingly favorable. Anyway, the op is obviously happy with them and only looking for a size recommendation on the newest model. I say go large, that's what I did and have found no real drawbacks.
    I brake for stinkbugs