Shoulder Protection?- Mtbr.com
    ready to ride

Shoulder Protection?

Had a nasty 3rd degree AC separation last august. Probably should have ad surgery but after talking to my surgeon we both figure Ill mess it up soon enough again and have the surgery done then.

Well I'd like to postpone that as long as possible but it seems like that should has become a target. Does anyone have some good experience with shoulder protection that isn't a full turtle suit? Something minimal that offers stabilization and a bit of protection. More concerned about my shoulder than torso. Broken ribs are tolerable.

While no interest in a turtle suit, a more substantial option for park would be a consideration.

Thanks!
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I think the main difficulty with a shoulder protection is that there is nothing to keep it secured to while you are riding if you are looking to isolate the shoulder from injury. Think about shoulder pads for football, they have the whole truss system that goes across the chest and underarm.

If you are looking to protect your shoulder anything that you are going to find that isn't a full armadillo jacket is going to be shift as hell and probably move if you wreck. I'd look into light under-jersey padding that is short sleeve. I have a soft-pad spine/shoulder/chest that I use on park days, but I don't even want to think about the sweat-misery it would bring on if I tried to pedal up anything worthwhile.

ready to ride
    Thanks for your reply. That seems to be the consensus. Guess I will just keep giving it a beating until surgery is required.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    Thanks for your reply. That seems to be the consensus. Guess I will just keep giving it a beating until surgery is required.
    Do you feel the clavicle move still?

I was also thinking the same way after shoulder surgery. Everything I could find was for lighter blows or scuffs. I even made a prototype that I thought could be a good solution.

ready to ride
    sorry not here too often.

Yes a fair amount of movement. I'm just going to suck it up as long as I can. Sounds like surgery might not even fix it. Considering a turtle suit for park.

I love your sweat buster by the way. Reminds me I need to order another two pack!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Same here brotha! 3rd degree separation 2.5 years ago and took a lot of time to begin riding hard again in fear of another shoulder injury. I use the TLD short sleeve pullover armor suit when riding park, but not sure it'll prevent a separation. Sure, it'll help, but taking a shoulder digger with enough force will have your body rotating over, tearing that AC joint regardless. Or in your (our) case, further injuring the floating clavicle. Maybe hockey pads?