shoulder to elbow armor?- Mtbr.com

Oct 2007

shoulder to elbow armor?

i was just thinking the other week.. why do riders wear knee/shin guards, full face helmets, but i see so many with just that and a short sleeve t-shirt? seems to me that the first thing thats going to hit is your shoulders and elbow!

well.. i was right. ate it big time today, was in the hospital for about 6 hours. i can hardly move my arm at all and i have severe bruising/contusions from my whole shoulder all the way to my elbow. (fell about 4 feet shoulder first, real lucky i didnt break it). my camelbak saved my back pretty well, but im out of work for a week and am in some pain. i could have broken it, for my job i cant have broken bones, this one week is bad enough.

its definitely armor time.. i wasnt on a real severe downhill trail, just some jumps and small drops, kinda stuff you'd expect to tackle on a 130-150mm bike.. id like to avoid a full blown DH pressure suit kind of thing, but i do want something that covers my shoulder to elbow.. im finding elbow and forearm pads, but nothing i can wear to protect my shoulders and humorous adequately without being overkill.

can anyone recommend upperbody armor with real good shoulder protection, but very light chest and back protection? maybe even no chest/back protection.

mtbr member
    My Flak Jacket is very comfortable. The '08 has a removable spine protector and the elbow/forearm pads can be removed as well. It may be more rugged than you are looking for but many of the less-padded alternatives do not allow you to remove parts.
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

thats right living legend
    I agree, if I could protect just one part of my body (besides my head) it would be my shoulders. Not my knee/shins or elbow/forearms.
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

mtbr member
    + 1 on the Flak Jacket. The '07 had removable spines also. It has shoulder cups, but I dont know if it actually protects the humerous. Elbow and forearm pads are adequate, and replaceable.

B

Jul 2007
    How about a RockGardn Trailstar and some elbow/forearm pads of your choosing? I'm going to be picking one up this week.

Oct 2007
    ^ that looks like a real oven : /

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    ^ that looks like a real oven : /
    welcome to the world of armor...I would got a for a 661 pressure suit, the back is removable and the chest isnt super padded keep it pretty cool but all armor is going to be hot...
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    Dude, go with the flak jacket. 08 of course. It has shoulder and humerus pads and the forearm pads and spine protector are removal. Plus it's super comfortable and vented.
    Hey, My Picture is Finally of Me!!!

Jun 2007
    I was sereously just about to make a thread about this.

Glad to Be Alive
    in the beginning wearing upper body armour sucks but after awhile you feel naked without it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by combatkimura
    How about a RockGardn Trailstar and some elbow/forearm pads of your choosing? I'm going to be picking one up this week.

Post up a review when you get some time on it. I am interested in the Trailstar as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i have the 661 pro suit, i live in a desert climate so something cool was important, its a slim fitting suit with lots of ventilation and light, its not too bad even in this heat, it doesnt have kidney protection but it has an excellent back guard which is removable good chest protection and excellent full arm protection, fell straight down on my left shoulder twice with it and didnt feel a thing

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    You may also check out the Thor Impact Rig (or the SE version). Rockgardn does good stuff too.
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

GASing
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    i was just thinking the other week.. why do riders wear knee/shin guards, full face helmets, but i see so many with just that and a short sleeve t-shirt? seems to me that the first thing thats going to hit is your shoulders and elbow!

well.. i was right. ate it big time today, was in the hospital for about 6 hours. i can hardly move my arm at all and i have severe bruising/contusions from my whole shoulder all the way to my elbow. (fell about 4 feet shoulder first, real lucky i didnt break it). my camelbak saved my back pretty well, but im out of work for a week and am in some pain. i could have broken it, for my job i cant have broken bones, this one week is bad enough.

its definitely armor time.. i wasnt on a real severe downhill trail, just some jumps and small drops, kinda stuff you'd expect to tackle on a 130-150mm bike.. id like to avoid a full blown DH pressure suit kind of thing, but i do want something that covers my shoulder to elbow.. im finding elbow and forearm pads, but nothing i can wear to protect my shoulders and humorous adequately without being overkill.

can anyone recommend upperbody armor with real good shoulder protection, but very light chest and back protection? maybe even no chest/back protection.
    I totally agree. The times I have gone down, my shoulders and upper arms take the brunt of it. The hips take a beating sometimes too. I've been lucky so far, nothing major. But I think it's tome for some padding. It would be great if there was a good shoulder pad without the extensive chest and back protection. I was checking out some of these lacrosse pads. Most of them have the sternum pad, and great shoulder protection.

Mar 2008
    Hey, I use lacrosse pads as well. They're really really good; lightweight, unrestrictive and cheap. They have enough protection for what I do and are loads cheaper than pressure suits etc.

Oct 2007
    i STILL have a bruise, and a weird knot that hurts when i touch it! i got back on the bike over the weekend, just a little more careful this time!

as for the oven comment, theres the flakjacket, that looks really well vented (much moreso than the other one posted) and i think im going with that! thanks everyone.

GASing
    You could always go with this

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by funkle
    You could always go with this

I like the shoes....

btw, must be the smallest feet ever. ; )

mtbr member
    Anyone know if there are any other brands out there that make a upper body armor with the kidney protection? i went down hard 3 weeks ago and the bruise on my right side is finally starting to fade... so i'm trying to find something with some "waist" level protection that still has full shoulders. Don't mind short sleeved, as i'd rather where a 661 chicken wing for elbows...

thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0