Should I buy this helmet???- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Jun 2010

Should I buy this helmet???

Hey, there, I love riding mountain bike. I usually have bicycle trip with my friends in holiday. My friend suggest me to buy a helmet recently. I never thought of buying that as I think it a bit heavy to wear it on head. But he said it more safe to wear it. Should I buy this helmet???Does this helmet good??Anyone give me any suggestion??
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by sunnysmile; 06-20-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnysmile
    Hey, there, I love riding mountain bike. I usually have bicycle trip with my friends in holiday. My friend suggest me to buy a helmet recently. I never thought of buying that as I think it a bit heavy to wear it on head. But he said it more safe to wear it. Should I buy this helmet???Does this helmet good??Anyone give me any suggestion??
    Thanks in advance
    Only if it fits you
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Underskilled
    trust me that is potentially one of the stupidest questions that gets asked every day.

If a helmet does not fit snug on all sides it is next to useless as it will not be able to work correctly.

search online for helmet fitting guides.

try on a few helmets from each major brand and buy the one that fits best.

This is a thing that needs to be done properly or not at all.

For a conveniently related story I saw a guy go down on his road bike at ~50mph on sat.

he went over the bars and headbutted tarmac.
    helmet exploded, we are talking about 30 seperate pieces.

guy got up relatively OK.

If that helmet had not fitted well, it would not have exploded and I would have probably witnessed a fatal accident.

if it doesn't fit, it cannot work as designed.

as it was, pretty cool crash, a few cuts and bruises. he almost somersaulted into an oncoming car but just missed...wow!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    ^^ +1 great post.

Things to look for, coverage, how well it will protect your head, I would have to go against universal fit helmets. Also consider what type of riding you are doing, if its quit a bit of freeride/downhill then you will want the best protection which is offered from a full face helmet.
    One of the most important factors is does the liner make your head itch? If your head is itching then you are not paying attention to your ride increasing your odds of something happening, The only way to find out is to go try on different brands and wear them on your head for about five minutes and see how comfortable are to you, if it makes your head itch, ignore it, different brands use different fabrics for liners.

~Disc~Golf~
    Why does everyone that posts a link to that site have terrible grammar and like zero relevant posts - spammer?
    It's like they do random posts so they wont get flagged as a spammer, but jeez...- it's always that crap '**********' site and they never reply back to the thread. (I may now be jinxing myself), but check it out next time you guys see a thread with a link to that site.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Why does everyone that posts a link to that site have terrible grammar and like zero relevant posts - spammer?
    It's like they do random posts so they wont get flagged as a spammer, but jeez...- it's always that crap '**********' site

Yep , what he said . Illiterate spammers .

mtbr member
    Or you could click his name and see what he has posted previously, oh look no other links. Still poor spelling, but that really should not matter.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurr
    Or you could click his name and see what he has posted previously, oh look no other links. Still poor spelling, but that really should not matter.
    umm, I did
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Members who have read this thread: 0