Shorts for Big Guys, how big?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Shorts for Big Guys, how big?

A question for big guys: what size waist do you need for your riding shorts?

The larger sizes of DirtBaggies have been very popular, we sold out of the 42" size almost immediately and the 40"ers went soon thereafter.

We're scrambling to make more, and considering making larger sizes. Can you help us decide how big to go?

Thanks,
    Tim
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

Where's the chair lift?

Good job!

Good to see someone making shorts for the bigger guys! I used to be one of them and it sucked. There are guys out there who may be just big guys like football players etc that need bigger sizes. Nowadays, its hard to gauge when short sizes are on par. Either run small, on the money or big. Rock on with your short sales!
    My MTB Ride: 2011 Intense M9 Other bike: 09 KX450F :)

Australian.
    Feb 2011
    40 to 42 here. Hard to get good shorts!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    aerotechdesigns.com
    Larry

Climbs = necessary evil
    42-44 here and yes, they are hard to find!

mtbr member
    44 here and they are hard to find and are usually expensive. Cannondales are $70 - 75 a pair.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input guys, we now have 44" in stock in some styles.
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

Climbs = necessary evil
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-ti View Post
    Thanks for the input guys, we now have 44" in stock in some styles.
    Dang man, I just checked out your site and for $250 for the bib and shorts those things better pedal on the uphills for me. That's some serious coin for riding apparel.

mtbr member
    A question for big guys: what size waist do you need for your riding shorts?

The larger sizes of DirtBaggies have been very popular, we sold out of the 42" size almost immediately and the 40"ers went soon thereafter.

We're scrambling to make more, and considering making larger sizes. Can you help us decide how big to go?

Thanks,
    Tim
    Good question although a little embarassing. I got back into riding because I am out of shape and over weight. With a 40" waist size, I had trouble finding shorts and was suprised when I had to buy XXL.

I would like to check your products out, maybe when your website is working

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
    Good question although a little embarassing. I got back into riding because I am out of shape and over weight. With a 40" waist size, I had trouble finding shorts and was suprised when I had to buy XXL.

I would like to check your products out, maybe when your website is working
    Hi Beshannon,

Please can you tell me about the problem you are having with the website? It's working OK for me in Chrome and IE at DirtBaggies.com.

Thanks for letting me know about this,
    Tim

mtbr member
    Here is my problem with biking shorts;

I just ordered a pair of baggies with an elastic waist that claim to be XXL "40-42". They were not even close to fitting. I held them up next to my work slacks, which, at 42", fit the same as my other slacks of the same size and are quite comfortable. The shorts were not even close to being that big, even when I fully stretched the waist. The shorts looked at least one size smaller! I don't even know if the next size up would have fit.

So, the biggest thing is when you say "40-42" on baggies, which are meant to fit a bit loose, I would really like to see something with a fit comparable to most other clothing. In terms of industry sizing, I have noticed that sizing on biking gear is WAY off from standard American sizing. If I walk into a store and buy a pair of shorts off the rack, I usually get an XL, and have never once had a problem fitting into a XXL, which is usually too big, if anything.

In terms of what HAS fit me correctly, I have to give credit to my Canari padded chamois shorts. I ordered them in XXL, based on the sizing chart, and they fit how i would expect an XXL item to fit, which is slightly too big! I actually wish I ordered one size down, since they are very stretchy with lots of give and I wanted the extra support. Having a lot of give in the chamois was the other problem with the baggies I ordered. They were skin tight, and almost no stretch. Bikers move around from sitting and standing and twist our bodies in all sorts of ways, so having something that doesn't constrict when I sit but doesn't fall off my butt when I stand is vital!

The other problem, which may or may not apply since I am female and we are cut different, is how the pants or shorts fit through the hips. Larger folk tend to also have much bigger hips, guys and gals. I have had trouble fitting slacks before that were WAY too tight in the seat, but fine in the waist. I am pretty proportionate for a female and never have problems with this when something is cut for women, but I also know that men who are larger still have some more butt and hips than a skinny flat butted guy. Sometimes I come across men's items that really should be cut more generously, especially when they claim to have looser fits.

Just my two cents on biking shorts! Thank you so much for making products for us Clydesdales! I will keep an eye out for your products

mtbr member
    Bikemaya, I've been frustrated by the same thing, I don't understand why mountain bike shorts should require you to refer to a size chart. That's why DirtBaggies are sized in inches to fit the same as slacks or jeans, you just buy whichever size matches your waist size.

(In fact the waistband on all DirtBaggies is a little oversized so that it doesn't cut into your gut when you're in a riding position, they're held up by the height adjustable tethers on the bib).

mtbr member
    Thanks Tim!

mtbr member
    Hi Beshannon,

Please can you tell me about the problem you are having with the website? It's working OK for me in Chrome and IE at DirtBaggies.com.

Thanks for letting me know about this,
    Tim
    Seems ok now, it was throwing a window saying "cannot load product"

I'll take a look at the items, thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0