Shoes that wont get shredded by pedals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Shoes that wont get shredded by pedals

Okay, so I do alot of biking and also alot of walking. I generally do through a pair of shoes a year before the soles, around the middle ( pedals ) and heal ( walking ) puncture and start taking in water. I can live with this, but lately I've been finding it extremely difficult to find decent skate shoes with soles that will survive more than 2 months before being ripped appart by my pedals.

For reference, I've got these Tioga MX pedals : http://www.tiogausa.com/bmx/mx_pro.html. I love em, I get all kinds of crazy grip with them, but those metal studs will rip through shoes .. not to mention my shins on nights I get home slightly *cough* inebriated.

Would anyone have a recommendation for a shoe that will actually last atleast a year, props if it does more.

I know I can't have everything, but I want something I can atleast walk comfortably in when using the bike as a commuter, but that'll survive the pedals when I get to hammering.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I don't know much about shoes, but if you're taking in water from worn down shoes, you got to stop walking in water.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Lol .. note to self : walk between the rain drops to stay dry, over above the ground to keep my feet out of water

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by delerious
    Lol .. note to self : walk between the rain drops to stay dry, over above the ground to keep my feet out of water
    There you go. You're learning something now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Five ten freerider

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I did actually have a look at em on their website, but the sole seems to have few groves and large round sections. Wouldn't these get totally eaten up by the metal studs on the pedals ?

the test dummy
    my converse high tops survive the peddles pretty good
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Okay, so I do alot of biking and also alot of walking. I generally do through a pair of shoes a year before the soles, around the middle ( pedals ) and heal ( walking ) puncture and start taking in water. I can live with this, but lately I've been finding it extremely difficult to find decent skate shoes with soles that will survive more than 2 months before being ripped appart by my pedals.

For reference, I've got these Tioga MX pedals : http://www.tiogausa.com/bmx/mx_pro.html. I love em, I get all kinds of crazy grip with them, but those metal studs will rip through shoes .. not to mention my shins on nights I get home slightly *cough* inebriated.

Would anyone have a recommendation for a shoe that will actually last atleast a year, props if it does more.

I know I can't have everything, but I want something I can atleast walk comfortably in when using the bike as a commuter, but that'll survive the pedals when I get to hammering.
    http://www.redwingshoes.com/productd...px?prodid=1039
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Rogue Warrior&Anarchist
    Got a pair a Five Ten Sam Hills, and they are sweet! Actually they hold up really well compared to regular shoes, they use this special rubber called Stealth rubber. All I have to say is they are tough shoes! I use them while trail building also, they provide great grip on dirt while climbing up hills also. Trust me, get these shoes!http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/31-sam-hill
    mountain biking is not a crime, so quit giving me dirty looks before I bunnyhop your car

Rogue Warrior&Anarchist
    What is this supposed to be a joke? Nobody wears boots while riding
    mountain biking is not a crime, so quit giving me dirty looks before I bunnyhop your car

Quote Originally Posted by mike_d_1583
    What is this supposed to be a joke? Nobody wears boots while riding
    Have you tried it? Work even better than the 5.10s for trail work.

When I am exploring with lots of bushwhacking or riding in to do trail work, I DO wear logger boots on Crank Bros 50/50s. Like it better than my Impacts.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropout33
    Five ten freerider
    These are great shoes. I have had them for almost a year and they are still holding up.

Rogue Warrior&Anarchist
    Go for it bro

Underskilled
    I would say any 5.10 apart from the basic.

They have the best grip, but the key thing is all 5.10 shoes are easily resole-able.

When they are worn too much, send it to a resoler, for a cheap price good as new.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ah, now that's a minor detail I didn't know .. resoleable is definately plus.
    Thanks for replies.

Ah, now that's a minor detail I didn't know .. resoleable is definately plus.
    Thanks for replies.
    The Red Wings are resoleable, too, and at any shoe repair shop. Standard Vibram soles, easy to get, easy to replace, and very long wearing in the first place.

The molded, wrapped, size-specific soles of most of the 5.10s means you need to find a repair shop that can get them, and it is going to cost more.
    mtbtires.com

Members who have read this thread: 0