Shoes for Wide Feet- Mtbr.com
    Old Fart

Shoes for Wide Feet

I need a new pair of shoes. I have tried on a pair of Sidi Dominator 5's in Mega width and loved them as they fit like a glove and the straps held the shoe on my foot like it was glued there. I didn't love the price ($229)...so they continue to sit on the LBS shelf. Maybe not for long though as I haven't been able to find another shoe I like as well. I have 9.5 EEE (43.5 Mega in Sidi's) feets and want a top end shoe like the Dom. for Cross Country riding. Anyone with a suggestion?
    If you say gullible slowly enough it sounds like "oranges"

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    Lake offers a couple of models of their MTB shoes in a wide width. I've have a pair of MX201s that are a couple of years old now. They've turned out to be a pretty durable and comfortable shoe. Not quite as nice a fit as my Sidi Dominator Megas but certainly far less expensive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I wear the Shimano's M038. It's a comfortable shoes but the soles aren't very aggresive. Also the Lake shoes are worth considering. Good Luck.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    I'm also a 9.5 EEE, and the comfiest pair of shoes I own are my '04 Diadora Geckos that I got on closeout from Nashbar. Can't say for sure that Diadora hasn't changed them since '04, but the price was right, and they've been plenty durable.

Bike to the Bone...
    I'm not sure about sizes, but my feet are wide. Don't go Specialized, they make shoes for narrow feet. I'm currently using my first mtb shoes, some Nike. Also Cannondale fits nice.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Update - the Nashbar catalog that came in yesterday's mail has the '04 Geckos on closeout for $59, FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe
    I'm also a 9.5 EEE, and the comfiest pair of shoes I own are my '04 Diadora Geckos that I got on closeout from Nashbar. Can't say for sure that Diadora hasn't changed them since '04, but the price was right, and they've been plenty durable.

Nov 2005
    SIDI makes a slightly cheaper ($149) mega called "Bullet 2"

Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubapiper
    I need a new pair of shoes. I have tried on a pair of Sidi Dominator 5's in Mega width and loved them as they fit like a glove and the straps held the shoe on my foot like it was glued there. I didn't love the price ($229)...so they continue to sit on the LBS shelf. Maybe not for long though as I haven't been able to find another shoe I like as well. I have 9.5 EEE (43.5 Mega in Sidi's) feets and want a top end shoe like the Dom. for Cross Country riding. Anyone with a suggestion?
    Check Ebay....I just bought brand new in box size 49, Dom 4 mega for $100.

Apr 2006
    I've got UK size 12 feet, which I think is size 13 in US size.

Currently I am using Specialized MTB comp shoes. They were fine when I used Shimano pedals but I've just switched them for a set of Crank Bros Candy SL, now I find my left foot doesn't have enough support towards the outside.

Having melted my shoe trying to remove a cleat bolt I'm going to replace them with the Pro version of the same shoes which have a carbon sole and see if that, and a spacer have any effect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    carnac. They'll be expensive, but last forever and have nice comfy wide toe boxes!

mtbr member

Specialized

Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    I'm not sure about sizes, but my feet are wide. Don't go Specialized, they make shoes for narrow feet. I'm currently using my first mtb shoes, some Nike. Also Cannondale fits nice.
    I have to disagree with the above quote.
    I tend to have a wider forefoot (throught the met heads) and I cannot fit into pearl, Sidi, or 661's, but I have two pair of Specialized and they fit like a dream. I wouldn't consider another brand at this point.
    BoiseBoy

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiseBoy
    I cannot fit into ... Sidi....
    Did you try Sidi's "mega" (ie: wide) sizes? The velcro straps accomodate varying foot wideness.

Not contradicting, just giving others hope.

Me: U.S. 15/16 D = Sidi 51 Mega.

Old Fart
    If anybody cares...after trying on numerus shoes and talking to a lot of shops the Sidi Dominiators in Mega were the only shoes that really fit. I was not able to find a shop with Carnacs so they may have been an option.
    If you say gullible slowly enough it sounds like "oranges"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Try Answer Speeders ($52.00 @ aebike.com)
    I have a size 10 EE shoe size and they fit fine...I used to wear Lake shoes but the
    the Answers are wider and cheaper.....and at that price you can buy 2 pair!

Jan 2004
    I'm in the same situation. I have a pair of old Cannondales that come close but still aren't quite there. Today my pair of closeout Adidas El Moro (II?) came and they are worse than the Cannondales. I have to see what else Nashbar has in my size but I may try a pair of Diadoras next. FYI, I normally wear a 4E width (New Balance) although generally shoes that have a "wide" option work out for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0