Shoes - what do you wear?- Mtbr.com
    shining bright

Shoes - what do you wear?

I posted a thread yesterday about getting into clipless, and I need to get some shoes. Let's hear your shoe recommendations.

I don't really want to spend a ton just yet, because I'm not sure If I'm going to like the whole clipless thing. I may spend $150 if I can justify the shoes being worth that. Someone at the trail heavily recommended SIDI, but I see they are pretty expensive.

Any alternatives?

I wear about a 13 or 14 shoe size, so I guess I'm looking for something bigger than a 48 euro or bigger.

SSOD
    I wear sidi now but my first pair I rode for 2 years were addidas. Don't know if they still make mtb shoes but they were full rubber soles and heavy but worked great. I think I paid like 60-70 bucks for them in 05 new. Just make sure if these are your first pair, get them fitted at a shop because you don't want them to big or small and .5 euro can make a big difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I got a pair of 661 expert shoes to try out clipless, shimano pd520 pedals. Like both the shoes and the pedals, I like being clipped in also. You can get new pedals off ebay for 40 or less. So trying clipless doesn't have to break the bank.

The shoes are 89 bux at the lbs, I got them and some bar tape from nashbar delivered for $60 with the labor day savings they had.

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    I got a pair of Shimano MT42's from pricepoint for around 60 bucks, if I remember ..

Comfortable shoes, fit is good, but I think the lace-up closure is a little annoying. I'd recommend something with velcro and ratchet closures.
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

I4NI
    DC's works great with platform pedals.

My son thinks I look cool!
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I also have the sixsixones experts and would definitely recommend them, although they are my first clipless shoes, so I do not have a lot to compare them too. They feel a bit narrow which works well for me.

shining bright
    I will be on SPD pedals. I have a wide foot too, so I feel like anything that says wide would be helpful.

I did find these in a 50.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Mtb+Shoe.aspx

still looking though.

likes to ride bikes
    Check out the Shimano SH-M086, 90 bucks

up to size 50:
    http://www.bikebling.com/Shimano-SH-...m?1=1&CartID=0

size 51 and 52 (be sure to click the Competitor Price button for the discount):
    http://www.treefortbikes.com/product...-Mountain.html

too cold to ride
    I also have the 661 Expert shoes and M520 pedals. The shoes do run narrow (which is great for me)- but will prob rule them out for you. I took a flyer and bought them online (Jenson), but you may want to buy in-store, or at least get fitted there first.

FYI- when you do decide to get pedals and shoes, you will probably have to buy the SPD clips separately (mine were $18 at the LBS, prob cheaper online).
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Whichever shoe fits you best.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I wear shimano SH-MO76, $ 59 at Jensens with m520 pedals. Pretty inexspensive for shoes and pedals and they work great. You should definately try your first shoes on before you buy because they all fit a little different.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Burger- How do you like your shoes? I have been thinking about getting those for some time. for that price..its almost too good to pass up. How do the toes fit? do your feet breath well in them?

shining bright
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSharks
    I also have the 661 Expert shoes and M520 pedals. The shoes do run narrow (which is great for me)- but will prob rule them out for you. I took a flyer and bought them online (Jenson), but you may want to buy in-store, or at least get fitted there first.

FYI- when you do decide to get pedals and shoes, you will probably have to buy the SPD clips separately (mine were $18 at the LBS, prob cheaper online).
    Thanks. My pedals came with cleats.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I like them and I thought the same thing about the price. I have narrow feet and they fit me great. I also got multi release cleats for them and they work really great. My feet breath fine in them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I run a 12 and a little wide, I wonder if they would fit ok...

the test dummy
    these on my all mountain bike
    http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/23-minnaar
    these on my xc bike
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=57999
    both incredibly comfortable shoes
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    - northwave lizzard sbs pro on touring bike with spds
    - light running shoes(summer), harder sole addidas retro sneakers(winter) on my mtb with platforms(until i upgrade it to spd also )
    need more bikes...

likes to ride bikes
    They have to come in size 48+, dumbasses. Don't just spooge your favorite shoe if it doesn't come in the size he needs.

mtbr member
    1. riding clipless is superior otherwise it wouldnt be so dominant. sure there are people that prefer flats but if flats were truly better then the world cup riders would be using them.
    2. theres three areas of the bike where you should spend the money necessary to have the best possible fit and function: shoes/pedals, handlbars and seat. message here is that if you have to spend major coin on shoes that fit really well then it can be the difference between a lot of great rides and a lot of pain.
    3. sidi is over priced. look at specialized, shimano, and northwave. then again all the higher end models are pricey. do not buy a shoe that compromises fit or function in any way, you will regret it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm currently running Specialized mtn bike shoes, and I like them a lot. I've got average to medium wide feet, and Euro type shoes often aren't comfortable on my feet.

mtbr member
    I am running these, fit is good, they are comfortable, quality is good, price is excellent.
    http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...41.0.0.0?pp=8&
    Do it in the dirt!
    2010 Giant Talon 2

Members who have read this thread: 0