Shoes w/o clipless pedals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Shoes w/o clipless pedals

Over the last month, I've noticed that about 8 out of 10 of the people I see regularly on the local trails wear biking shoes. But, only two of them regularly use clipless pedals. I asked a couple why and did not get much info - one said the shoes alone help, one said they didn't but he liked the shoes anyhow, etc.

Is there a benefit to wearing biking shoes even if you don't use clipless pedals? I had linked the two together, but maybe I'm off.

bike rider
    Maybe you are seeing the stiff soled, super grippy shoes favored by flat pedal using gravity riders (5.10s). Maybe you are seeing the recreational cycling shoes with flat, sneaker like soles that have a patch that can be cut out to mount a cleat. These are also stiffer than regular sneakers so they transfer power to the pedals better and should grip flat pedals okay. If you are seeing 8 out of 10 riders turning their flat pedals with sparsely lugged, clipless MTB shoes you need to start riding tougher trails that don't attract posing gapers.
    Last edited by Lelandjt; 03-26-2009 at 09:42 PM.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    I don't think so. The cover for the cleat mount I think interferes with good grip.

Possibly the stiffness of SPD shoes gives you a small advantage, but popular shoes like 5.10 Impacts give you great grip and flexibility.

bike rider
    These "recreational cycling shoes" don't have a cover for the cleat. When you look at the sole it is smooth and looks like a regular sneaker but there is an outlined area that you can cut out revealing the slots for a cleat. When the sole isn't cut out it will grip as well as a pair of tennis shoes.
    5.10s are stiffer than skate shoes. I own a pair. A stiff sole transfers power and prevents your arches from getting sore.

Doctor
    Dec 2008

Metatarsalgia

I wear biking-specific shoes (Specialized) and do not use cleats, even tho the shoes are tooled for cleats.

Why? The rigid sole "eliminates" shoe flex when I ride (I use toe-clips), and the shape of the arch and forefoot part of the shoe "eliminates" metatarsalgia. I've tried long rides with walking shoes, and get metatarsalgia. It's pretty common if you ride a lot. If you're not having foot pain/numbness after riding, forget the rest of this post.

Metatarsalgia causes a tingling, almost-numb, pain in the sole of your foot, near the toes, between the 1st and 2nd foot bones (metatarsals). It's caused by repetitive compression of the 1st & 2nd bones, squeezing and irritating the nerve that's located there. Once it starts, one must take immediate action (change shoes or stop riding) to avoid a chronic problem.

Specialized shoes, and likely others, shape the insole to separate these bones under pedalling pressure. It works well for me. I'd prefer my old pre-cleat Spec's, but wore them out. They were lighter.

jeff

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the info. It looks like a lot of the ones I see are Shimanos or Pearl Izumi's, so maybe people just like the stiffness (or are posers...).

I had never heard of 5.10's. They look interesting - what types do people use?

bike rider
    5.10 makes low top and high top versions of the Impact shoe with identical soles designed to STICK to platform pedals (they use a variation of their rock climbing shoe rubber). They just started making a skate shoe as well.

If you look at the feet of platform-using world cup racers they are usually wearing 5.10 Impact Lows.

Members who have read this thread: 0