Shoes: Velcro vs. Ratcheting clasp- Mtbr.com

Sep 2004

Shoes: Velcro vs. Ratcheting clasp

Im looking at getting new shoes and of two that I am looking at, the Nike Ligure vs. Nike Carnerso, they both are pretty much equal in all respects except that the Carnerso costs $40 more and has a ratcheting clasp while the Ligure only has a velcro strap on top. Will the velcro strap be enough for aggressive cross country and some racing or will the ratchet be more secure and efficient? Thanks all...

Mark

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by M.T.
    Im looking at getting new shoes and of two that I am looking at, the Nike Ligure vs. Nike Carnerso, they both are pretty much equal in all respects except that the Carnerso costs $40 more and has a ratcheting clasp while the Ligure only has a velcro strap on top. Will the velcro strap be enough for aggressive cross country and some racing or will the ratchet be more secure and efficient? Thanks all...

Mark
    They will both be secure. The ratchet has the advantage of allowing you to quickly tighten the shoe in small increments. This is important if you want to adjust the shoe while riding. The velcro is just fine but to adjust the straps, you have to undo the velcro and retighten. It's quick, but not as easy to finely tune.

I have both types of shoes....velcor and velcro with a ratchet clasp. I find the ratchet much easier to get the right tightness.

shut up and pedal
    Jan 2004
    Rachets break, velcro wears out, laces work like they have since the begining of time.

I vote for velcro, only because I never tie my laces.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, velcro wears out, but not before other parts have worn out and you need new shoes anyway. I vote velcro as pretty bulletproof. Even high end ratcheting shoes have their problems. I agree the ratchet is nice to adjust, but only a little more so than velcro. When the ratchet breaks you're SOL until you can get replacement parts. Velcro is seldom a problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had a ratcheting shoe that "only" lasted 4 years before it went belly up, and I had a pair of velcro shoes that lasted 8 years. Hmmm.
    My current shoes are velcro and a ratchet. I like being able to adjust the ratchet in micro increments but the velcro does just a good of job.
    I guess if someone put a gun to my head and made me choose, I'd go velcro because it weighs less and is maybe more durable and costs less. Yeah, I'm cheap, so I'd pick velcro over ratchet.

Jan 2004
    If you tend to get muddy whilst riding, ratchets won't 'clog up' like velcro can. Once velcro gets muddy, its doesn't stick as well unless you get it rinsed out...

mtbr member
    I just got a pair of shoes with 2 velcro straps and a ratchet on the ankle strap. So far I really like it. I've only got a few rides on them, but I can get them adjusted to however I need at that instant. Time will tell, but so far so good.

Two wheels are best

I used to avoid ratchets...

It used to be easy to avoid them because I never spent very much on shoes. Like other formally "high end" only tech, ratchets are finding their way onto less exspensive shoes these days.

I now use a 2 velcro/ratchet shoe and I think I'm a convert. Not that there is that much difference, but it is easier to get them just right.
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    what do you do when Velcro wears out? nothing can be done except maybe replacement by shoe repair. with ratcheting buckle you buy a new one. I've never had an all velcro shoe last longer than a season(Velcro stops gripping) whereas the buckle shoes has lasted 2 seasons before everything else falls apart.

4 years from a mountain bike shoe. you must not ride too much or too aggressively.

Rollin' a fatty

Combine them

I use a combination of velcro (2) and ratchets (1) on my mtb shoes.

Jan 2004
    You can get shimano replacement ratchets x about $20 a pair.