shoes skate vs. bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Hope shoes skate vs. bike

I am in need of new shoes my 661 launch shoes are worn out. I currently use shimano 536 pedals, but with the skate style shoe they seem to be too small. I am a clydesdale so I have some extra weight on the small surface of the pedal wich makes my feet hurt after a long ride. The launch shoes do fit well so I was wondering if I should pick up a new pair of launch shoes with a pair of shimano 647's or maybe crank bros. mallet c's. Or stick with my current pedal and try to find a reasonably priced pair of bike shoes that will fit my wide foot. I appericiate any advice/info on the shoes and on how good are the mallet's vs. the 647's. thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

It does depend on you, but....

if you intend to stick with clipless pedals then it would be better to get a quality bike specific shoe. The pain that you are experiencing is from having a shoe that does not have a stiff enough platform in the sole. Shoes used with clipless pedals need (especially small minimalist pedals) need to have an extremely stiff sole because the pedal serves as your connection to the bike. The shoe is the platform. If that platform isn't stiff enough it will cause you to "feel" the pedal through the sole of the shoe and will press on the bottom of your foot causing discomfort, hot spots, numbness, or pain. If you go with a pedal with a platform then you can get away with a softer soled shoe as the platform will spread the load on your feet and shoes over a wider area.

So if you intend to stick with the Launch shoes it would probably be best to go with a pedal with a generous platform included. If you want to stick with your current pedals then I would recommend some cycling specific shoes with a good really stiff sole. I'm a clyde myself and have experienced the same problem to a lesser extent. My problem though stemed from cheap shoes. And you do get what you pay for. In my experience if you can walk fairly comfortably in the shoe then it's probably not stiff enough for basic clipless pedals and long rides. A properly stiff soled shoe will make you walk funny because you won't be able to bend your foot as you walk, so you walk sort of flat footed. A shoe with a "too soft" sole will feel more natural. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. If you wanna stay with your current pedals then stiffer shoes are in order, if you want to stick with the same shoes, then replace the pedals. As far as shoes go, I can't really recommend any to you. I have long narrow feet, so I only have experience with shoes that run narrow. Hope this helps a little though.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Even with larger platform clipless pedals you're likely to get hot spots and foot pain with wimpy soled shoes that aren't bike specific, especially for a clyde. The sole isn't stiff enough. Bite the bullet and spring for good bike specific shoes. Your feet will thank you.

~I Ride In Circles ~
    I'm a little on the heavier side myself. I recently got a set of EggBeater Sl's for my bike. I got them from a deal with BikeNashbar.com and they came with the Answer Impact MTB shoe. The shoe is a perfect fit.. and for never trying it on before hand I guess I'm lucky. I've rode a handful of times with them, and besides learning to ride clipless my feet haven't hurt at all. So far I've noticed that as long as I take the time to lace them up and make them tight enough but not over tight then I'm in good shape.
    ~ it's all good ~

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Don't forget, your feet swell during a ride of more than a half hour or so. Take this into account when snugging up those laces/straps.

Your bike is incorrigible

2 years on Launch shoes and Mallets

I got the Mallets after two months of riding with smaller pedals because I was having exactly the same problem--my feet squished over the pedal. It's true that the Launch shoes don't have quite as much support as some shoes, but they are still stiff enough to be called proper biking shoes. Mine have just about worn out as well, and I've been debating whether or not to go with more Launchs or get the Tiburon 3. From everything I've read, the Tiburon is more of a true bike shoe, has a little more support, is a little taller than the Launch. However, even if I go with the Tiburon, I will still be using my Mallets. Face it, unless you go with a race shoe that has a sole so stiff you can't bend it at all, you are going to get some over-the-pedal squish.

We are clydes, and we are proud, but we do have to face certain realities.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    guyechka did you ride a pair of shimano pedals before you went to the mallets? I really do like the launch shoe it fits my foot quite well. I was curious if the oakley shoe "slant" is any stiffer or just better than the launch. Oakley does tend to have top notch productds even if they are a little more expensive

Formerly DMR For Life
    I don't think the oakley slants are campatable with clipless pedals

DMR

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by rekibtm
    guyechka did you ride a pair of shimano pedals before you went to the mallets? I really do like the launch shoe it fits my foot quite well. I was curious if the oakley shoe "slant" is any stiffer or just better than the launch. Oakley does tend to have top notch productds even if they are a little more expensive

I was riding on Ritchey pedals before the Mallets.(Actually, I forgot to mention that I still ride with the Launchs on my old bike that has Shimano 737s, but then again, those things are so huge that they are more like a platform pedal.) The Ritchey's are just as small as the SPDs.

I don't know about the Oakleys. There are two reasons I would stick with 661. First, I know they fit me well. I think my foot is a little wider than normal. Secondly, I've seen two reviews of the Tiburon that say it is one of the best 661 shoes in the line. Now the Launch has undergone some sort of transformation, and it costs $20 more (I paid $55 with shipping for mine).

The way I figure it, you can buy stiff shoes and stick with the SPDs, but they won't be as comfortable to wear and you won't be able to walk around in them. At the cost of a little extra weight, you can go with the Mallets. You can use any shoe with the Mallets and not worry about having your foot squish over the pedal.

Members who have read this thread: 0