Shoes, shoes & more shoes- Mtbr.com
    ZEN RIDER!

Shoes, shoes & more shoes

Anyone have any input or experience with any of the following spd shoes. I'm looking for a fall/eary winter/spring hiking style spd shoe.
    I've noticed the spd platforms look to be mostly molded nylon, with the excpetion of the Diadora which uses the metal plate. Is this something I should be concerned with?

http://www.teamcyclist.com/store/Pea...P16454C389.cfm
    or
    http://www.teamcyclist.com/store/Shi..._P9965C383.cfm
    or
    http://www.teamcyclist.com/store/Dia...P10458C385.cfm

thanks
    E
    Last edited by Mt.Biker E; 10-27-2007 at 09:04 AM. Reason: typo
    Life in every breath

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Biker E
    Anyone have any input or experience with any of the following spd shoes. I'm looking for a fall/eary winter/spring hiking style spd shoe.
    I've noticed the spd platforms look to be mostly molded nylon, with the excpetion of the Diadora which uses the metal plate. Is this something I should be concerned with?

http://www.teamcyclist.com/store/Pea...P16454C389.cfm
    or
    http://www.teamcyclist.com/store/Shi..._P9965C383.cfm
    or
    http://www.teamcyclist.com/store/Dia...P10458C385.cfm

thanks
    E
    Most important thing is fit.

The soles/cleat attachment is fine on all of them.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

ZEN RIDER!
    Thanks Shiggy
    Life in every breath

ZEN RIDER!
    While I am thinking about it, anyone know if the stated size charts are accurate for Shimino, PearlIzumi & the Diadora?
    is a 10 a 10 for example.

Also does anyone know if the Pearlizumi is a multi-season shoe, or just goretex & mesh. Its hard to get an accurate description from the web page.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Im lovin that Pearl Izumi. I hope someone that has owned them chimes in. Those look sweet and durable.

My Oakleys lasted 5 rides. Do not get soft soled shoes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    were you using them to hike on lava?
    wtf thats crazy

ZEN RIDER!
    My guess - drunk & a bonfire

How is Diadora as a manufacturer? I'm not familar with them at all. I've always worn Sidi or Specialized Body Geo. That hiker looks like a good all weather/season.
    Anyone have any of these shoes? Curious as to the contruction & water & cold factor. I'm not looking for a winter shoe - my feet never get too cold - but more of a fall/spring wet weather with support/protection.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    I used the Oakleys resort riding a few days in Fernie and a few days at Whistler. I must drag my foot when I clip out before I stop or something. I really cant figure it out. The left wasnt as bad but it was startting to fall apart too.

Funny thing is most of my other shoes have lasted 2-3 years. Im thinking the soft rubber on the Oakley is just weak. You can tell barely tell I wore them from the pic of the top. They still looked new.... from the top.

Im ordering those Pearl Izumi X-Alps tomorrow. Ill let ya know.

mtbr member
    I'm not a fan of laces and cranks/chains at all unless there is some sort of system for securing the laces down. Just my 2 cents.

Crunchatize me Capn'
    Try Lakes. Lake has more options for touring that does away with open hole mesh in the shoe build.

ZEN RIDER!
    Lake Alpine shoes:
    http://www.lakecycling.com/ProductIn...roductid=MX265
    Not sure about leather & if my feet will get too hot.
    or
    http://www.lakecycling.com/ProductIn...roductid=MX155
    I've been looking at this shoes for a while, but not sure if its water resistant enough or too thin of a material. Lake doesn't do a good job of explaining features at all. Plus it doesn't have the tension/support strap the others have.

I like the laces in place of a ratchet system for better support compared to all strap system which i have on an old pair of Sidi winter boots. Kind of why I didn't include the Specialized high top in my search.
    Life in every breath

ZEN RIDER!
    [QUOTE=kntr
    Im ordering those Pearl Izumi X-Alps tomorrow. Ill let ya know.[/QUOTE]

Cool beans. I'm curious as to what the breathable gator is & how much of the shoe is mesh. I'm looking for a shoe that will work in NE conditions, but not true winter shoe but also not a summer shoe.
    Life in every breath

Don't worry, be happy!
    specialized Taho is a nice shoe with hiking capabilites, sticky rubber and not hard plastic for the sole.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    Im lovin that Pearl Izumi. I hope someone that has owned them chimes in. Those look sweet and durable.

After 5 (hike a bike) rides? Just curious, did you attempt to warranty those? You would think they'd design a mountain bike shoe to take a little bit of abuse. My Specializeds strarted to do just a little of that after one year and I had a new pair within the week.

F.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    While I am thinking about it, anyone know if the stated size charts are accurate for Shimino, PearlIzumi & the Diadora?
    is a 10 a 10 for example.

Also does anyone know if the Pearlizumi is a multi-season shoe, or just goretex & mesh. Its hard to get an accurate description from the web page.
    Depends on what you are comparing them to. I wear anything from a 10 to an 11.5 (44-46) depending on the brand and model. Some brands/models do not fit my foot at all. You have to try them on.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Here's my $.02...

1. NEVER buy shoes online UNLESS you've worn those shoes previously OR have already tried on a pair at a shop. Feet are all different and unless you know a shoe is going to fit you, don't buy it.

2. velcro straps, ratchets and laces; I've had all of 'em and never had an issue with any.

3. race shoe: if you're going to race, buy 'em. If you do any walking/hiking over rocks when riding (ie, difficult sections you have to walk over/through), don't buy a race shoe. Their soles are made from a hard material and you will end up sliding or falling while walking. My last 2 pairs of shoes have been rubber soled shoes that GRIP rock when walking tough sections.

4. Buy shoes that are comfortable.

That being said, any of the three shoes in the OP look good, but, #1 above applies. I tried on a pair of the shimano mt51's and didn't like 'em. They felt too loose around my ankles (the tongue is a very thin material). I tried on, then bought, the shimano mt31. They were much more comfortable, likely due to the thicker, more padded tongue.

ZEN RIDER!
    I'm not having any luck with the local shops having any of the mentioned shoes in stock .
    I'm going to continue calling around tomorrow. If i have to buy on-line I'm going to go with a company that has a good & free return policy.

One of the reasons I want to get a new alpine stye shoe is I've always worn high end race shoes & seeing I know longer race or ride a xc bike it doesn't make sense sliding & skating on the rocky stuff. PLus I have a sore spot on my ankle from rubbing & banging the crank. I want plush shoes for a plush ride
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    After 5 (hike a bike) rides? Just curious, did you attempt to warranty those? You would think they'd design a mountain bike shoe to take a little bit of abuse. My Specializeds strarted to do just a little of that after one year and I had a new pair within the week.

F.

4 days of resort riding and one maybe 2 days of XC.... not much walking at all.

Im sending them to Oakley tomorrow. They told me they only have a 30day warrenty, but Im sending them anyway.

Don't worry, be happy!
    4 days of resort riding and one maybe 2 days of XC.... not much walking at all.

Im sending them to Oakley tomorrow. They told me they only have a 30day warrenty, but Im sending them anyway.

well that sucks enough to not support the company in the future, IMSHO. 30 days on shoes?** Like I mentioned earlier, Specialized warrantied mine after a year, that keeps me a repeat customer.

** that just about beats out Home Depots' 48 hour warranty on appliance installation....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    May be a little late to the discussion here, but I have a pair of some different Pearl Izumis - the MTN X-Alp Enduro. I've been riding in them almost daily for 2 or 3 months now. I'm completely happy with them and they're holding up quite well so far.

ZEN RIDER!
    Quote Originally Posted by architectx
    May be a little late to the discussion here, but I have a pair of some different Pearl Izumis - the MTN X-Alp Enduro. I've been riding in them almost daily for 2 or 3 months now. I'm completely happy with them and they're holding up quite well so far.
    Are the sizes normal?

It looks like I'm going to have to order a shoe when I decide which one to get. Not a single local dealer carries any of the models.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Are the sizes normal?

It looks like I'm going to have to order a shoe when I decide which one to get. Not a single local dealer carries any of the models.
    They seem to run pretty true to size to me. I had to order mine too. I usually wear 44 or 45 in most shoes. I went with the 45 for the Pearls. I think a 44.5 would have actually been perfect for me, but I couldn't find any half sizes when I bought mine. My feet tend just slightly towards the wide end of the spectrum and I'm quite happy with the fit.

You might want to check Zappos.com to see if they have the ones you're after. My wife and I buy our "street" shoes there - free shipping (both ways) and an excellent return policy. Sometimes I'll even order two or three sizes, keep one, and then ship the others back.

ZEN RIDER!
    Just spoke with Pearlizumi and the MTN X Alp Mid Gt is considered a 3 season shoe. Fully waterproof & thicker than a normal summer shoe, but not insulated like a true winter boot. It being waterproof makes it a good contender for me as far as winter riding. I have socks for below zero weather & my concern mainly is for wet feet.
    Looks like I am going to give it a whirl an order a pair. I've never disliked any of my pearlizumi clothes,so hopefully the shoe will do me right.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Diadoras are hit or miss. I've had a couple that wore really well, one pair fell apart in a month. I've never been disappointed with with anything I've gotten from Pearl.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Just spoke with Pearlizumi and the MTN X Alp Mid Gt is considered a 3 season shoe. Fully waterproof & thicker than a normal summer shoe, but not insulated like a true winter boot. It being waterproof makes it a good contender for me as far as winter riding. I have socks for below zero weather & my concern mainly is for wet feet.
    Looks like I am going to give it a whirl an order a pair. I've never disliked any of my pearlizumi clothes,so hopefully the shoe will do me right.

I cant find em in my size. Where are you ordering them from?

I sent the Oakleys in for warranty today.

ZEN RIDER!
    I cant find em in my size. Where are you ordering them from?

I sent the Oakleys in for warranty today.
    I think I am going to order directly from Pearlizumi. Teamcyclist has a 5 to 7 day waiting period for this shoe & the price is the same. Shipping differes a little bit if you go beyond the ground shipping & the 2 day thru Pearlizumi is ridiculiously expensive. II'll probably call Teamcyclist & verify the waiting period.
    Pearlizumi's web page has all the sizes
    Life in every breath

ZEN RIDER!
    I recieved the Pearlizumi's today.
    It is a really fricken nice shoe, like all Pearlizumi products.
    It well built & very stiff but lite weight. The gators are nice & easy to use.
    The tread is excellent & shouldn't be slippery like my xc shoes.
    The only bummer is I have to send them back for a larger pair.
    The size 11 is really a 10.5 & my toes hit the end of the shoe.
    The shoe has a really small toebox, but i am guessing that has more to do with not having the correct size.
    I brought them to my dad's house & had him try them on as he is a 10.5 and they fit him fine. He did say the toebox for him was snug but not uncomfortable. If he hadn't just purchased a pair of Specialized he would have grabed mine.
    I'm going to try a size 12 this time around seeing I want to wear winter socks in them. Hoefully it will be spot on.
    E
    Life in every breath

mtbr member

Well Oakley sent me my shoes back and said they wouldnt warranty the shoes. I will never buy an Oakly product again. They said I had them too long. I told them I wore them only a handful of times and to look at the rest of the shoe. The shoes look BRAND new from the top but the sole just fell apart. Oh well, I tried. No more Oakley for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Man, that sucks. I like Oakley's glasses and MTB gear, but I'll never buy the shoes again--my pair lasted maybe four or five months.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've never been impressed with their stuff -- too expensive for the quality.

It's the Patron Tequila of gear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reposado Man
    I've never been impressed with their stuff -- too expensive for the quality.

It's the Patron Tequila of gear.
    I agree. Nice stuff to look at but the reliability sucks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Kinda off topic but how do you get the piece of sole off that covers the cleat bolt holes?
    I've tried using a sharp knife but these soles are Tough. Specialized Taho.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Cool-blue Rhythm Shoe Question

Where does one get a spd shoe interface? I stripped threads when installing atac cleats.

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Don't know about the interface but I found a really sharp utility knife is the answer to removing the chunk of sole that covers the cleat bolt holes.

Crunchatize me Capn'
    Quote Originally Posted by deematic
    Where does one get a spd shoe interface? I stripped threads when installing atac cleats.

Thanks for any help.
    http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=PD9051

mtbr member
    Update.
    I AM LOVING THESE NEW SHOES.

Members who have read this thread: 0