Shoes: Shimano M221 or Sidi Dominator 4?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Shoes: Shimano M221 or Sidi Dominator 4?

Posted this on another forum but really trying to get the most feedback...

What shoes are better?

After reading the reviews it seems like the Sidi's have a better fit, but the Shimano shoes may be more durable and stiff. I just wanted to get more feedback here. I recently purchased a pair of Shimano M221 shoes and have two rides on them. I purchased them to replace my M220s. They seem ok, but do cut the circulation off from my toes leading to numbing in some of my toes. Now I have a chance to puchase a pair of Sidi Dominator 4 for the same price $120. I'm also concerned about the heat on my feet. The Shimano shoes get pretty hot despite the mesh in the toe section.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If youre getting no circ and numbness, sounds like your fit it way too tight.

I just picked up the Dom4s and so far, Im so-so about them. They look nice and all, but truth be told, im not crazy about the fit. I needed to put Superfeet Orthoics in mine and the heel cup's still a little loose. But I tried the next size down and my feet are stuffed in them like five pounds of crap in a one pound bag. A little bigger is better than a little small when it comes to clothing and shoes, I always say.

Between the two, they are both real good. Whichever fits better...go with that. You should know right in the store which model you feel better in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

will fit better once broken in...

my sidi i bought the tighter size 45 instead of 45.5 and it broken in nicely after a few rides so now it fits great. while you don't want it cutting off circulation, a snug fit, i feel, gives better performance.

the "lorica" breaks in faster than most other shoes since it's thinner (but thus, also less durable).

my old shoes were specialized and decent, lasted quite a while... the uppers were beaten up by okay, it was the sole that started splitting. it was laces and velcro and much heavier than the sidis.

john

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedThrills
    If youre getting no circ and numbness, sounds like your fit it way too tight.

I just picked up the Dom4s and so far, Im so-so about them. They look nice and all, but truth be told, im not crazy about the fit. I needed to put Superfeet Orthoics in mine and the heel cup's still a little loose. But I tried the next size down and my feet are stuffed in them like five pounds of crap in a one pound bag. A little bigger is better than a little small when it comes to clothing and shoes, I always say.

Between the two, they are both real good. Whichever fits better...go with that. You should know right in the store which model you feel better in.

mtbr member
    It's cliched but it's all about the fit. I went through a bunch of brands before I tried Sidi, and the fit of their shoes just works for me. I used Shimano but they made my toes go numb, and they never broke in after two years of riding. They were size 45, then I went to Sidi in size 45 and had a much different experience. You'll probably have to buy a pair of Sidis to really test them out and see if they work for you. Putting them on at the bike shop doesn't give you a good idea of their flexibility or the movement of your foot inside the shoe, too bad they don't have demo days for shoes. If they don't work out they have a good resale value on eBay, probably the best of any brand. I find Sidis to be durable and cool on the foot, but it's the fit that keeps me coming back.

mtbr member

Same thing here with the Shimano shoes...

The fit was ok, the toes were cool, but some how ended up with numbness in the toes. And it's the same with the M221s. They fit good, stiff, but my toes get numb, but now more often I imagine because they are new and haven't been broken in.

I'm going to test ride the Sidi's tomorrow. I'm anticipating a better experience.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Er...um...Sidi is pretty specific in saying that their shoes dont "break in", so to speak and that the Lorica material doesnt stretch. But if you got away with it, jksu then that sounds fine. For me, going this route would not work. I was STUFFED into the size smaller than the 42s I wound up getting. It wasnt "just a little too tight". STUFFED. So I had no choice but to go bigger.

Making matters more complicated for me what the fact that OFF the bike my new Sidis are tighter all around than the shoes they are replacing. The heel cup feels tighter, and they are better fitting across the top. But on the bike, they just fell, well, different.

IMO, your riding shoes are by far and away the most difficult item to fit and get right, given the vast differences in styles, fits and of course...feet!
    Last edited by Rouleur321; 05-16-2004 at 07:12 PM.

mtbr member

sidi

i have been riding sidi's for almost 4 years (same pair) and bought a pair for my road bike last year. i will never ride anything else! a friend had been riding the shimano's for the last year, he kept hearing me rave about the sidi's (especially the fit and drying feature's) and he went out and bought a pair of dom 4's. this was two weeks ago and he has already dumped the shimano road shoes for sidi's.

all of my experience with sidi has been positive!
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan

Gittyup!
    I've had both, and I'd go w/ the Sidi's hands down. The fit and feel of the Sidi's far surpasses the 221's. They really feel like slippers. Like you, my toes went numb in the Shimano's. They just never felt quite right. When you try two on side by side, the superiority of fit of the Sidi's is readily evident. And w/ the Sidi's I haven't had any numbness issues.

My only gripe on the Sidi's is the latch mechanism. Mine are a pain in the arse to disengage, and they seem to be very prone to getting debris stuck in them, thus making disengagement all the worse. I liked the Shimano latch system much better. For what it's worth, I will say that my wife rides w/ Sidi's and doesn't have any trouble at all w/ the disengagement on hers. Perhaps I got a bum latch. Also, the interior end of the latch belt noticebly sticks out on the "crank side" of the shoe and clicks against the crank arm at times. It's more of an annoyance than anything, but I could see it fatiguing and breaking over time if left unchecked. I put a piece of duct tape over it to solve the problem. Lastly, the foot bed on the Sidi's is pretty cheezy... very thin and just feels cheap. Not what you'd expect out of a $200 MSRP shoe. Despite the apparent lack of quality, it's still pretty comfy I will say.

Even w/ these issues, I'd still go Sidi. My feet thank me every time I put them on!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbric
    Posted this on another forum but really trying to get the most feedback...

What shoes are better?

After reading the reviews it seems like the Sidi's have a better fit, but the Shimano shoes may be more durable and stiff. I just wanted to get more feedback here. I recently purchased a pair of Shimano M221 shoes and have two rides on them. I purchased them to replace my M220s. They seem ok, but do cut the circulation off from my toes leading to numbing in some of my toes. Now I have a chance to puchase a pair of Sidi Dominator 4 for the same price $120. I'm also concerned about the heat on my feet. The Shimano shoes get pretty hot despite the mesh in the toe section.

mtbr member

Comfort-Great Durability-ok lastly ...

ventilation. Socal summers, and it looks like this one, can be pretty hot. My old M220 shoes had pretty good ventilation. How does the Sidi fair? Being black and with no mesh I've thought about this.

Thanks for all the good feed back.

Mar 2004
    You can get the dom 4's in mesh or the lorica. I have the lorica and live in the humid as hell southeast and my feet have always been fine. I'm a very war natured person as well. I went with the lorica for the durability and have been very happy.

Now, with that being said, Just becaue myself and several others here love the fit of the sidi, it doesn't mean it will fit you as well. Try on everything and even ask to ride around the lot in them or jump on a trainer if they have one set up. Bottom Line, it's all about the fit...Good Luck!