Shoes: Shimano M221 or Sidi Dominator 4?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Shoes: Shimano M221 or Sidi Dominator 4?

What shoes are better?

After reading the reviews it seems like the Sidi's have a better fit, but the Shimano shoes may be more durable and stiff. I just wanted to get more feedback here. I recently purchased a pair of Shimano M221 shoes and have two rides on them. I purchased them to replace my M220s. They seem ok, but do cut the circulation off from my toes leading to numbing in some of my toes. Now I have a chance to puchase a pair of Sidi Dominator 4 for the same price $120. I'm also concerned about the heat on my feet. The Shimano shoes get pretty hot despite the mesh in the toe section.

"Mr. Britannica"
    for MY feet, the D4s

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Is the $120 price available to others? If so, share?
    My current shoes are dying and I'm looking at the Sidi's too.

Werner
    Don't harsh my mello

the original
    Jan 2004

Sidi less durable?!?

From my own experience I have found sidi to be remarkably durable, as I have a pair of D2's on their 7th season(and currently paired up with my long travel bike so they get very abused still) and a pair of D4's on their second. As far as fit goes, no question sidi is fantastic. At $120 I wouldnt think twice!
    Help control the pet population, have you pets spayed and neutered

TJ.
    MRI Magnet Quencher Fixer

Something about Italian footwear...

Cmon.....Made in Italy, Or made in Indonesia or where ever.

Order of comfort.

1. Northwave...had em 2 years before they fell apart.
    2 Sidi While living in Italy I purchased them in 1999. Still going strong
    3. Vittoria...Don't know if they sell them here or not.
    4. Diadora...Good shoe. Great price
    10,291. Shimano....Bottom of my list.

The only ones I have not owned are the Diadoras. But hey if it is Italian it must be comfortable. Like a sofa. I

TJ.
    www.gvii.net/hundtoft

mtbr member

A bike shop was being bought out by Performance...

and all the inventory had to go. I picked up the Shimano M221s for 30%, $120 off, at which time I chose them over the Sidi's. Went back later in the week and all the inventory, other than bikes was 50% off so I bought the Sidi's for $90. I was going to buy more today to resell, but they were all out. I posted the question because I have the choice of keeping either shoe and selling the other pair.

The durability issue was brought up in the reviews where people complained of the ratcheting strap loosening and the velcro losing effectiveness over time. Both issues seem to have some validity because the rachet fell off the Sidi shoe when I was first looking at it, but I plan to put some loctite on it. Also the velcro does not seem to grab as well as Shimano's, but it should be ok. I think I'm keeping the Sidi's.

Oh yeah, the taking over of LBSs by corporate bike shops is growing so watch out!! It has it's advantages like lower prices, but also its disadvantages as well such as limited selection of parts and less knowledgeable personnel.

Trail rider and racer
    Pick the shoe that fits you best and feels right - not what people say is the best.

In general S.I.D.I. = Really durable, smaller fit and totally comfortable.

I wear the S.I.D.I Eagle 4 (thats the name in Australia) on the MTB bike and the Ergo 1s on the road. From where I stand both shoes offer great comfort and the perfect fit for my foot. I always found the S.h.i.m.a.n.o shoes really good value but a little too wide for my foots and also I found my feet went a little numb after riding in them.

Be sure to try both shoes.
    Trev!

Jan 2004
    It's all about fit. The fit to your feet. Everyone's feet are different, sometimes even from each other. Witha cycling shoe we are trying to transform these springy levers that our species developed to run away from Mastodons and whatnot into a rigid element of the bicycle's drivetrain. So your particular foot needs to be supported and confined. It's tough love, really.

Sidis come in a variety of widths, but tend to not have as much arch support, and tend to be narrower in the toe box.

Shimanos have a bit more arch support and a bit more width from the tip of the metatarsals forward.

Everyone can benefit from footbeds, too. The footbeds that come with most shoes are junk. A good footbed will stabilize the heel, support the arch and do a bit of varus wedging.

I've been riding and racing in shimano 221s for several years and they have held up quite well.

TJ.
    MRI Magnet Quencher Fixer

Good point.

I know a guy that wears a size 9 on one foot, and a 9 1/2 -10 on the other. He spends a lot of dough on shoes. But most importantly...He does get a good fit.

TJ

www.gvii.net/hundtoft

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Footbeds

are the key to really great fit.
    Just today I bought a pair of Sidi Genius 4's for the road bike. Perfect fit except a tiny bit of heel lift. Like my hiking boots I go for a tad larger sizing to compensate for the sweat/swell factor. From prior experience they just need a set of Superfeet to replace the garbage footbeds in themT
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is definitely not for you.

Dec 2003

Superfeet a must

I have the Shimano 220's and have been quite happy with them. I did replace the stock insoles with Superfeet footbeds as soon as I got them.