Shoes for rocky hike a bikes.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Shoes for rocky hike a bikes.

My Cannondale roam shoes are almost dead and they were perfect for comfort and traction off the bike.The model has been discontinued so I'm looking at shoes like the Lake mx101 and Pearl izumi x alp enduro.Any thoughts on these shoes or other suggestions?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by frikka
    My Cannondale roam shoes are almost dead and they were perfect for comfort and traction off the bike.The model has been discontinued so I'm looking at shoes like the Lake mx101 and Pearl izumi x alp enduro.Any thoughts on these shoes or other suggestions?
    Lake MX165. love mine on the rocks and on the bike.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Check out Shimano's Mountain Touring shoes. Mine are still going strong after 3 years. http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...shoes/mtb.html

Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm looking for a flexable sole.But not so flexable you feel the cleat.Stumbling around in the dark when you're tired with stiff soles isn't fun.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I rode the Lake MX 165s for 2 years and was happy with them.

I decided to take a chance on the Pearl Izumi X Alps...really like them so far. They breathe better and are just as sure-footed on hikeabikes. They are actually more comfortable than the lakes were on me, but it could be that it is due to the lack of the full leather upper on the model I chose.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    I rode the Lake MX 165s for 2 years and was happy with them.

I decided to take a chance on the Pearl Izumi X Alps...really like them so far. They breathe better and are just as sure-footed on hikeabikes. They are actually more comfortable than the lakes were on me, but it could be that it is due to the lack of the full leather upper on the model I chose.
    Do you get heel lift while walking? I'm guessing you got the ones with mesh panels.Does sand get in the shoe?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Do you get heel lift while walking? I'm guessing you got the ones with mesh panels.Does sand get in the shoe?
    Yeah, you are right - mostly mesh Pearl Izumi X-Alp Drift. I got a good price on them from Chad at Red Barn Bicycles

The first thing I noticed...fit. They fit very similarly to my lake 44.5s and these were the 45s. They have just a bit more room in the toe box. The offset velcro (seems to run diagonal vs. horizontal) actually does cinch down and feels more ergonomic than the lakes in the way it conforms to the top of the foot.

Second thing...flow. I could actually feel the air on my feet just walking them around my house (with socks on). They have drained great (shock) after some creek crossings and I occasionally notice the airflow on rides. Definitely a great summer shoe, perhaps not as great under 40*!

Heel lift? Nope. I had that problem with the Adidas shoes I have tried. These actually fit better than the lakes on my foot. The heel cup is more than sufficient for good articulation without any slippage.

I don't think I have noticed sand getting in there...certainly haven't had any problems with pebbles or anything.

Honestly, the only reason I didn't get the full upper leather was the buckle...just not a fan of buckling systems. I didn't consider the mesh as a benefit until now, although that means I will have to do something come December...

Caca pasa
    There was a thread like this a while back.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ght=lake+shoes
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    +1 on the X Alps

Some of the places I ride have hills that I can barely walk up, much less ride. Got the X Alps when I went clipless a couple seasons ago. They're as comfortable as my hiking shoes, cooler, and dry quick after creek crossings. I want even look at another shoe if I ever wear them out.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    +2 on the Lakes. Good fit, good traction, priced right and pretty good durability. A little super glue is your friend for the "knobbies" on the soles.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

aka greyranger
    another on the lakes

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hey thanks for the input.

trail addict
    Sette Enduro shoes from pricepoint actually look nice and are very comfortable and durable and have just the right soles for riding and walking... and they are so cheap I'll never buy anything else until they stop making them.

I can't comment on the other shoes you are looking at, but the Enduros are much better quality than the specialized shoes owned by my bud and I. The spec shoes were like 3-4 times more expensive and showed wear and damage like 3-4 times faster!
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I replaced my Diadoras with Mavics.
    They have the same sort of rubber overmold on the soles that grips well on hike a bikes.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Frikka, you pu$$y, just ride the trail and you'll be fine! I'm scrambling over the same stuff in my carbon Sidi's.

Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

Give it a crank
    I've been using the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro II shoes for 2 months and like them quite a bit. The soles grip well on all kinds of terrain, and they dry fast after water crossings. The buckles need a quick wash every few rides to remove dirt. I just squirt some leftover h2o after each ride and it seems to keep the buckles free of dirt.

Members who have read this thread: 0