Shoes for prominent big toe?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Shoes for prominent big toe?

I lost a shoe, and finding a shoe that fits my right foot seems like a hopeless endeavor. Left four bike shops today empty handed.

The last pair I found that fit were an ancient pair of Shimanos that looked like a mtb version of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=154025534283

Only 43s I found all day were some bontragers which had the problem I always have with cycling shoes: left toe rubbing. No way to stretch a cycling shoe, either. I've been on and off looking for a pair for a year now and was sorely disappointed that five ten maltese falcon shoes had the same problem despite their climbing shoes fitting me like a glove.

Since I'm unlikely to find some really old shimanos (old size was US 10 EU 43 on the label), does anyone have any suggestions which brand or model might be worth ordering (and returning)?

Edit: I still use studs and avoid shoes with a top velcro strap (they never last), so I'm looking for ratchet or BOA.

mtbr member
    I have no suggestions for shoes, but I have had some success spot stretching cycling shoes. They're basically synthetic material that won't retain a stretch unless heated pretty hot. Gotta be careful not to melt them though, so best to use a heat gun with controllable temperature (a variac can be used to control the temp)...or start holding it far away and work closer as needed.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hm, not an unreasonable idea for the bontrager I tried. Wouldn't work for the more traditional shoe but a lot of them are plastic as you say. How did you push the inside of the shoe?

mtbr member
    Bontrager road shoes is one pair I've done. I use a shoe stretcher. Put the bump(s) where needed. Drill a hole if there isn't one in the correct location. Carve your own bump if the provided ones don't do it. The ones I have a similar to these:

https://www.amazon.com/KevenAnna-Pre...dp/B01A6VM190/
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have a metal shoe stretcher I use for climbing shoes, but not sure if this will work for the toe box especially since those mtb toe boxes are compressed vertically. Really the major problem is risking $150-$200 on melting a toe box which may or may not stretch.

The Bontregar Foray was the only shoe I saw which I think might work

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The Lakes I have are pretty large volume, which is opposite of what I need. I believe they are real leather too so might take to stretching. I know a friend who uses Sidi although they are not high volume, they are leather and take a stretch, according to him.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'll need the OPPOSITE of high volume

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    OK, I may have found a solution: Bont cycling shoes. The only problem (other than price) is the wacky sizing. Is a EU 43 really a US 9?! I did a quick survey of various shoes I have. Most are 43 except my climbing shoe which is a EU 42.5 or US 9.5. I could never cram my foot into a US 9. WTF?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by anarkhos View Post
    I'll need the OPPOSITE of high volume
    Uh ok, you said you had problems with big toe rub.
    Good luck then. I actually have similar problem, low volume feet, but width is not particularly narrow. I use Lake with thickest aftermarket insoles. Theyre still loose, i get big heel lift.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Taroroot View Post
    Uh ok, you said you had problems with big toe rub.
    Good luck then. I actually have similar problem, low volume feet, but width is not particularly narrow. I use Lake with thickest aftermarket insoles. Theyre still loose, i get big heel lift.
    Yes, flat feet cause the big toe to be prominent because the arch has collapsed. It doesn't have anything to do with width. I often wear women's hiking boots as they're lower volume.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Bont has really nice width to them around big toe but due tub-shaped sole the fit needs to be spot on.
    Meaning that Bont measures their size from about level second toe - not from from big toe so I'd really recommend trying before buying.... well, at least my kid got really good pair of shoes for trainer use

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Yeah, trying before buying. Chances of that being possible are roughly zero point zero zero zero zero.

According to their sizing app I'm a 44, which is odd considering I'd never consider a 44. I guess they run small.

mtbr member
    So, it sounds like your big toe is prominent in the upward/vertical direction, so it rubs on the top of the shoe? That's nothing I have experience with so I can only hypothesize. If you tried a shoe (maybe with more volume) that had two boas, one over the forward metatarsals and one over the instep, perhaps tightening the forward one over the metatarsals would hold your foot down while providing the vertical volume for your toe? Just and idea....
    What, me worry?