Shoes for platforms- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Shoes for platforms

I am looking at the Shimano SH-MP56L and could not find any reviews, has anyone riden them. I have been using some old vans with good luck but it seems like i am slipping more and can see some visible damage to the soles so I thought I would try a pair of these babies.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

semantic blockage
    Yeah cools - one consensus here (which I subscribe to and use) is the five ten impact shoe.
    Very sticky on and off the pedals, and comfortable. Available in lo or hi tops. These stick almost too well - I find myself having to reposition the shoe on the pedal a lot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcools
    I am looking at the Shimano SH-MP56L and could not find any reviews, has anyone riden them. I have been using some old vans with good luck but it seems like i am slipping more and can see some visible damage to the soles so I thought I would try a pair of these babies.

5-10 Impacts are THE shoe for platform pedals...

R.
    It is inevitable ...

got the dhr...
    Nike SB. or maybe some e's shoes. Skate shos work best for me.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    another vote for 5.10

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Dang it!

I have seen the 5.10 and have a buddy that loves them they just seemed so bulky. I wanted to try and nice low profile shoe but I guess I will have to give the shimanos a shot or just go with the 5.10s.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcools
    Dang it!

I have seen the 5.10 and have a buddy that loves them they just seemed so bulky. I wanted to try and nice low profile shoe but I guess I will have to give the shimanos a shot or just go with the 5.10s.
    go with 5.10s... you wont regret it... and this is coming from someone who rides clipless and cant ride flats for ****... With 5.10s and some real pedals like Eastons or something, i can...

semantic blockage
    Cools - yes the 5.10's are somewhat bulky, but you'd get used to that quickly. They are also sturdier than a skate type shoe - I can't see myself hike a biking in the woods, climbing over boulders with a skate shoe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks guys

mtbr member
    5-10's. I just did my first ride on them yesterday. They're much better than runners or skate shoes.

mtbr member
    Vans off-the-wall's have the best ****ing grip ever... i don't use them cause they give me zero ankle support, but they're perfect. other than that, skate shoes

mtbr member
    Stop wondering why everyone raves about the Five-Tens and just get a pair. You will NOT regret it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Maybe my question was unclear, I wanted to know if anyone has ridden the shimanos?

I know about the 5.10s and am not doubting their capability, I just think they are bulky and would like to know if that is the only good bike shoe out there. I find it hard to believe that 5.10 are the only good bike shoe besides a pair of skate shoes.

I like the look of the shimanos and wanted to see if anyone else has not gone with the 5.10s and still lived to tell about it.

mtbr member
    Sorry in that case. 661 makes some bike-specific shoes with flat soles which you can use as cleats ( with clips) or clipless. They should be perfect, ankle support, grippy soles,made for riding, etc

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661...3-C543D5D8ED5A

There it is

I think the Filters are the only cool ones, but hey, that's just me

mtbr member
    May 2007
    How much does the sole of the 5.10 flex compared to Van's?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle2834
    How much does the sole of the 5.10 flex compared to Van's?
    My daily shoes are Vans and I ride in 5.10's. The 5.10's are definitely more stiff soled at the ball of the foot, but like everything, they will soften a bit with time. They aren't clipless shoe stiff, just stiffer than Vans. I could see times when I'd prefer the Vans for quick foot placement (dirt jumps), but overall I much prefer 5.10's while riding, especially on rough trails.

mtbr member
    I've been using the 661 Descend Taki for the past weeks instead of my Adidas skate shoes.
    The difference is huge.. the 661's grip so good I have trouble adjusting my foot on the pedal.
    (I've wanted to try the 5.10's - but we don't have them here...)

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I think the new Marzocchis look the best of any others. They should be available sometime in the next month.

mtbr member

The Sam Hill and Nathan Rennie 5.10's

Those are some nice looking shoes.
    Check out the snake skin on the Hill...

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    Super pinner!!!

don't thread on me
    I bought a pair of Shimano MT41G a couple of weeks ago, and really like them so far....Using them with M647 platforms

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/shoes/mtb/product.-code-SH-MT41G.-type-.html
    sign here ________________________

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by omegamandb
    Yeah cools - one consensus here (which I subscribe to and use) is the five ten impact shoe.
    Very sticky on and off the pedals, and comfortable. Available in lo or hi tops. These stick almost too well - I find myself having to reposition the shoe on the pedal a lot.

'nuff said...

check out great video coverage of anything mtb (well almost).

http://www.mtbcut.tv

Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    I think the new Marzocchis look the best of any others. They should be available sometime in the next month.]
    They are rebadged 5.10's. Or else, they are a shameless rip off. If you like all black get the older version of the 5.10. No need to wait for the "marzocchi" ones.

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by amrgb
    They are rebadged 5.10's. Or else, they are a shameless rip off. If you like all black get the older version of the 5.10. No need to wait for the "marzocchi" ones.
    Rebadged, but Marz made some suble changes to the shoe. Not a rip off as they are made by 5.10. Review and pic below. Personally, I like the white.

http://www.azfreeride.com/?q=node/371

OP: sorry I cannot help you with the Shimanos. But if you are looking for an inexpensive entry level pair of flats, hard to beat the older 661 Launch Taki:

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...Taki_Shoes.htm

Blue Sky has 'em for $30 right now. I got a pair, and would have to say they are a great entry-level shoe. Certainly stiffer than skate shoes.

But the 5.10s have to be the best. The Sam Hills will be my next pair (or maybe the white Marz)

Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    Rebadged, but Marz made some suble changes to the shoe. Not a rip off as they are made by 5.10.

OP: sorry I cannot help you with the Shimanos. But if you are looking for an inexpensive entry level pair of flats, hard to beat the older 661 Launch Taki:

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...Taki_Shoes.htm

Blue Sky has 'em for $30 right now.

But the 5.10s have to be the best.
    What changes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by luseboy
    Nike SB. or maybe some e's shoes. Skate shos work best for me.
    second that, but next time i get some extra money or my SBs get demolished, i plan to get a pair of 661 or 5.10 shoes
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

Mar 2008
    I just ordered a pair of sixsixone descend taki shoes. Go to sixsixone's website, they're on sale for $25 instead of their original $90 price. I'll let ya know how good they are once I get in a good ride with them. My Emerica skate shoes haven't been doing it for me. They slip all over the place if they get too dirty or wet.

Captain Underpants

do your own homework

Quote Originally Posted by amrgb
    What changes?
    Click on the linky, and read the review.

mtbr member

Super light platform shoe

Went to 5.10 a few years ago to buy shoes and was told retro model had same bottom and rubber as mt bike shoe. hard to find them now but nothing else even close.

mtbr member
    hey jjcools, i ride platforms and have a pair of those shimanos. i like them. the uppers are pretty durable and easy to clean, and they also seem to run a tiny bit large, which i think is a good thing as i've always heard that cycling shoes should be a bit looser in order to accomodate your feet swelling while riding. i have kind of wide feet but i've found these shoes to be pretty comfortable even after riding for a few hours. the soles are merely okay, they would be better if they were made of a harder, more durable material, as i'm noticing that my platform pins have already taken some small chunks out of them after about four months. i've tried to slow down some of this damage by putting some shoe goo on certain areas of the soles.

i like the overall looks of the shoes, too. they're kind of low-key and sleek and they don't remind me of NBA referee shoes like the 5.10's do. i know that's kind of a superficial thing but half of my riding is on NYC streets and i don't want to look like a dork out there... lol!
    so far reaching
    never lose that feeling

- swervedriver

mtbr member
    they're kind of low-key and sleek and they don't remind me of NBA referee shoes like the 5.10's do. i know that's kind of a superficial thing but half of my riding is on NYC streets and i don't want to look like a dork out there... lol!
    absolutely agree, 5.10's are fugly

Brackish
    Quote Originally Posted by omegamandb
    Second that, the search began and ended with 5.10s for me, and I'm still using the same pair two years later. Great grip, good quality.

mtbr member
    So do the 5.10's run true to other shoe sizes? I had a pair of 661's in US 11 and they were a little big. I wear an 11 in DC's because they are a little narrow in the front, but most skate shoes 10.5.

Thanks

Brackish
    In my experience they are true to size, I take need 13s and they fit fine for me.

The new version I don't know, but the older version (all black) fits a bit small. I wear 8.5, ordered an 8.5, it fits but tight. On the bike it doesn't make much of a difference, but walking on the street they are uncomfortable. It should've been the 9.

mtbr member
    amrgb-do you wear 8.5 in skate shoes, or clipless or crosstrainers etc?

Thanks for the feedback.

BTW, my second post here, very cool forums.

8.5 in all kinds of footwear

mtbr member
    I went for the 5-10 impact2 low just recently. 1 ride and so far so good. It's nice being able to pedal over some of the rougher terrain since my feet don't slip around as much. They are very grippy like everyone says and the soles are stiffer than Skate shoes.

mtbr member
    visions street wear black high tops, take is 80 bmx style

mtbr member
    ordered some 5 10 impact low yesterday. should arrive for next weekend

El Pollo Diablo
    This thread makes me sad...
    but only because I can't rock 5.10s, due to nike being buttheads and only making them up to a size 13.
    So, every year, I buy and shred a new pair of vans.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    i wear the newer 510s in a us11 and i'm a straight us11 for everything else, so they are quite true to size for me, was lookin at the marz ones, but wanted mid cuts, so had to go 510s...
    check out great video coverage of anything mtb (well almost).

http://www.mtbcut.tv

mtbr member
    I wear size 10 and got my 5.10's in 10's. I find them marginally smaller than my other shoes but still wearable in the same size.

parts leftover
    I ordered the Marzocchis for me and the Impact 2s for my wife yesterday!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    of course the marz shoes are good...5.10 makes 'em

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowMongoose
    This thread makes me sad...
    but only because I can't rock 5.10s, due to nike being buttheads and only making them up to a size 13.
    So, every year, I buy and shred a new pair of vans.

Nike makes 5.10?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I like those zokes. I haven't seen them yet but they look smaller than the 5.10's.

I dared to be different and went with the Shimano SH-MP56L anyway. I just got back from Moab and the shoes are perfect. The sole is firm but I still had great pedal feel and no slipping.

thanks for all the feedback, this site is helpful.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If you want something different to 5-10s, check out the Adidas Berm
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Anyone know of a shoe manufacturer that makes size 49-50 (15)????

I have been looking around with no luck. sucks...

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    High top or Low top? Hmm...
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

mtbr member
    I just did a wet, bumpy, downhill ride on 5.10's and am even more impressed with them. Never lost traction once. Forgot all about the shoes & pedals because they just work well, except when I needed to reposition my foot because you can't just slide your foot across the pedal easily.

Dirt Deviant
    Now if they only made 5-`0's in 14 and 15. You know how many pairs they would sell?
    I'd buy at least 2 pairs for myself.
    If they made a small run of 500 or so in each of those sizes I bet they would sell every single one of them.
    Lots of clydes need good riding shoes, and nobody makes em.....besides SIDI, but I ain't shelling out $250 for a pair of XC shoes when I want flats.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    can anyone comment on the width of the 5.10 shoes? I generally am an E width and end up going a 1/2 size larger most of the time to compensate. Narrow lasted shoes like nike, converse all-stars, and vans I never fit into comfortably.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by batorok
    can anyone comment on the width of the 5.10 shoes? I generally am an E width and end up going a 1/2 size larger most of the time to compensate. Narrow lasted shoes like nike, converse all-stars, and vans I never fit into comfortably.
    I have a wide foot, and my experience with 5.10s is to buy the shoe size for the length and they'll fit. I am wearing these right now, 5.10 Insight, bought for $80.00 on sale. I've had other 5.10s too. Good company, great climbing shoes.

Brackish
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    5-10 Impacts are THE shoe for platform pedals...

R.
    I agree, and they last.

Members who have read this thread: 0