shoes for platform pedals- Mtbr.com

Oct 2009

shoes for platform pedals

I have been using alloy platform pedals on my trance x 4 with running shoes and I do not want to use clipless pedals since I have been doing allot of down hilling and free riding and I have had allot of close calls lately . So I have heard rumors that were shoes made for platform pedals and I was wondering who makes and how much they are? and are they like running shoes or skate shoes ?

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    5.10's. They're not cheap ~$100 but I found some on Chainlove for about 1/2.

You can use any shoe really but typical skate shoes are popular.

Oct 2009
    yeah but I would like to have the benefits of using clipless pedals with out clipping in. you know what i mean .

There's no app for this.

What the other poster said...

5-10 shoes. Sticky rubber soles, as close to clipless as you can get. Remember - clipless assists with power for climbing (upstroke) and spinning, not exactly what you're doing. Hard soled runners = damaged shins, they slip. Just get some 5-10s and go ride.

And get some decent pedals with pins, alloy ones are not going to perform, see above note on slipping.

Jim

mtbr member
    You either want 5-10's for their gaffa tape like grip on the pedals.

Or flat soled bmx or skate shoes that allow more free movement on the pedal (my preference, Vans TNT II's, I've never had 5-10's but have had shoes resoled in stealth rubber, it was very good but I prefer a little more slip, force of habit).

Neither option gets you the benefits of being clipped in, you lose the upstroke pedalling and you can get bucked off or roll the pedals even with 5-10's on.
    The flipside is if needs be you can dive off/dab more easily and it's easier to get your foot down and slide.

Some good quality flats with decent pins will make a big difference too, Easton Flatboys and DMR V-12s are the ones I use but there's tons of good options.

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    anything 5.10 /endthread
    "It sucks because that's what Boxxers of that generation were good at." -- XSL_WiLL

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have some 5.10 Sam Hills and I find they stick to the pedals too much for my taste. They will give you a real locked in feel, but I prefer riding with some DC's that I recently picked up with a thin sole. Better pedal feel in my opinion.

meow meow
    i ride in nike sb dunks. i would like the sole to be a little stiffer but i grips well. not a bad choice if you wanna rock skate shoes.

mtbr member
    this is a pretty good recent thread titled "five ten alternatives", since everyone knows 5.10 makes a good platform shoe, its good to see what else is out there.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=553856

Meta and two veg
    Oct 2008
    Five ten make running and approach shoes with the grippy stealth sole, they may suit you better.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Another good thing about the 5.10 shoes is because they have such sticky soles I find for my riding I can get away with shorter less lethal set screw pins The (non standard) stainless pins I use hardly protude but still grip great. I do have 14 pins on each side of my pedals though (Straitline pedals = awesome IMO). I can't even imagine these shoes with 1/2" long pins.

http://www.straitlinecomponents.com/products/pedals.php
    Last edited by skidad; 10-13-2009 at 06:44 AM.
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b SOLD

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by riverunner666
    yeah but I would like to have the benefits of using clipless pedals with out clipping in. you know what i mean .
    ........5-10's......
    after trying 5-10's you won't go back to clipless.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/183...ac=16&zmap=285

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products

mtbr member

2 options you might try.

1. Go with the 5/10 shoes like everyone else has said. They are quite sticky and your foot will not slide off the pedal on downhills. You may yank the foot off on tricky, stair steppy climbs though.

2. Do what I did. Get Shimano 647 pedals, and try out both the standard cleats they come with, or the optional SH-56 multi-release cleat($20) I now use these pedals with the multi release cleat, and I no longer yank my foot off the pedal when lunging up steep/bumpy climbs, and my feet stay on the pedals just fine on the downhills, but I am able to dab just as easy as with my 5/10 and platform setup.

And also, in my opinion, you don't want to unclip in technical sections, because then your foot goes off the pedal too easy. Get a clipless pedal that lets you out even when things are dicey, and you will have the confidence to stay clipped in through the nasty stuff, knowing you can get out when needed. The 647 with the 56 cleat is by far the easiest pedal to get in and out of.

I started mountain biking in the 80's, and used toe clips and straps for many years. All the clipless pedals I tried never made me confident in really nasty situations, and I always went back to the straps. Then I used platforms, but I could not keep my feet on when lunging up techy climbs. Now with the 647, I have found the perfect pedal for my riding. The power up the steps, with the bailability of platforms. Mountain Bike Action also rated them 5 of 5 stars as well, and this time I actually agree with them.

nnn
    mtbr member
    Vans black widow for me, they have a really flat sole with honeycomb like pits which lock into the pins. They also cost me 1/4 the price of 5.10s and have a better feel as a walkaround shoe.
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

mtbr member
    Etnies have always served me well. Outlasted any other skate style shoe I've ever had. You get some great clearance deals on them too.

There's also a company that can put the 5.10 rubber sole on any shoe but for the life of me I can't remember what they're called.

Meta and two veg
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenlee
    Etnies have always served me well. Outlasted any other skate style shoe I've ever had. You get some great clearance deals on them too.

There's also a company that can put the 5.10 rubber sole on any shoe but for the life of me I can't remember what they're called.
    Feet first resoles, it costs 35.

http://www.feetfirst.resoles.co.uk/c...hoe_repair.php

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marki3boy
    Aha, that's the one! Now to see if anyone has any clearance Etnies!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenlee

Etnies used to make a bike specific shoe. I asked the rep. why they stopped making it he told me "It's too stiff for skateboarding". To which I replied "I don't skate, I ride".

Are 5.10 shoes less flexible than skate shoes? Or is the grippy sole the only diffrence. My feet get worn out after a long ride on platforms and soft shoes.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by runawaymachine
    Etnies used to make a bike specific shoe. I asked the rep. why they stopped making it he told me "It's too stiff for skateboarding". To which I replied "I don't skate, I ride".

Are 5.10 shoes less flexible than skate shoes? Or is the grippy sole the only diffrence. My feet get worn out after a long ride on platforms and soft shoes.
    I cant answer for the Etnies but the skate shoes I wear for daily use have more flex then my 510's.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Airwalk Skate shoes with flat bottoms. Not overpriced and perform great with flats.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Oh well, i'm also looking to go with flats and 5'10. But as I ride in the Alps and I need sometimes to walk, drag and carry the bike, I need shoes that are grippy to walk on hard country.

LDH
    mtbr member
    the 5.10 basics are pretty flexible and seem to grip everything very well, I bet they would hang onto $5 plastic pedals. I need to get my son some 5.10's and plastic pedals as his last case of pedal bite was too much. This one is going to leave a nice mark as it was 6" long ,2 1/2" of which needed some serious stiching. I think i could see his bone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by LDH
    the 5.10 basics are pretty flexible and seem to grip everything very well, I bet they would hang onto $5 plastic pedals. I need to get my son some 5.10's and plastic pedals as his last case of pedal bite was too much. This one is going to leave a nice mark as it was 6" long ,2 1/2" of which needed some serious stiching. I think i could see his bone.
    My son
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formotion Products

LDH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    My son
    Is that Bucky?

Did I catch a niner+?
    I use a pair of Adidas Samba's that I've had since 10th grade I think (I'm 26). They have the longer tongue which I keep up so if there is a small slip it bangs into the tongue and not my ankle.

pink

mtbr member
    i absolutely love the new balance 790, they are very lightweight (~225 grams), breathable, and also work great as everyday shoes. it almost feels like wearing slippers. while riding they squish on the pedal ridges and feel solidly planted. they were designed as ultralite running/racing shoes but i use them for everything. best athletic shoe i have ever owned no contest.

i bought 5 pairs so i'm stocked up for a while for when they are discontinued. sadly i heard they may have already axed them, which reminds me i need to look for more...

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by LDH
    Is that Bucky?
    No that's my oldest one Daniel.
    Formotion Products

Members who have read this thread: 0