Shoes and Pedals- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

Shoes and Pedals

My current pedals are Shimano M515s, and shoes are Answer Products Speeder, on a 03 Giant XTC2 MTB. I think it is time to upgrade and modernize my feet for MTB racing in 2004. The LBS who has not steered me wrong yet is recommending the below shoes:

Specialized 04 Pro Mountain Shoe

I have read the online reviews on MTBR; only the 2003 were there but they were good. Anyways, do any of you folks race or ride with the above shoes? How do you like them? What do you dislike (if anything)?

For the current M515 pedals I am not sure about, they work fine; but I never known better. My new cyclocross bike has the new M520s on them, and they look great for mud, very open, the bike is so new it has not see mud yet , just wait. What do you folks think about new and/or better pedals? Should I just get a new set of the ~$50 M520s? Or go all out and drop ~$150 on the M595?

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by lexington476
    My current pedals are Shimano M515s, and shoes are Answer Products Speeder, on a 03 Giant XTC2 MTB. I think it is time to upgrade and modernize my feet for MTB racing in 2004. The LBS who has not steered me wrong yet is recommending the below shoes:

Specialized 04 Pro Mountain Shoe

I have read the online reviews on MTBR; only the 2003 were there but they were good. Anyways, do any of you folks race or ride with the above shoes? How do you like them? What do you dislike (if anything)?

For the current M515 pedals I am not sure about, they work fine; but I never known better. My new cyclocross bike has the new M520s on them, and they look great for mud, very open, the bike is so new it has not see mud yet , just wait. What do you folks think about new and/or better pedals? Should I just get a new set of the ~$50 M520s? Or go all out and drop ~$150 on the M595?

i have the shoe you mention and it is fine. i put them on and forget about them while riding. they fit my foot perfect(standard 11d - 44 is the size printed in shoe) and the sole is nice and stiff. Due to lots of vents your feet will get cold if the temp drops but neoprene booties solve that problem. Durability seems to be okay. they are still in fine condition after 1 season of abuse. i use them with crank brother eggbeater ss pedals. i like them about 10000 times better than any shimano pedal. there is really no comparison, in my opinion. lighter, easier to use, simpler maintenance. you can find em for cheap on ebay.

Nim

Jan 2004

Shoes

Yep, I have them also. So far so good. I have noticed that the thread lacing the toe guard to the front of the shoes has broken in a spot - probably got cut on something during a ride, but the toe gaurd appears to be glued on so no problem. I might have gone with the next model down with the three straps rather than the buckle. Would have saved $50. the buckle is nice perfect fit adjustment, just don't like the idea that if they break there goes anothe $10 or $15 (whatever they cost) for replacement buckles. But overall a great shoe - very comfy and stiff - no break in time, nice. I'd go with Time ATAC Composites if it were me . . .I have seen them onsale online recently for around $60 sweet deal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lexington476
    I switched to the ss eggbeaters last year and have no reservations in recommending them. The biggest problem is that I only bought one pair and I have several bikes and one pair of shoes. Now I have to buy peals for my other bikes. It was hilarious this winter when our group got up above the snow line and everyone was stopping to dig ice out of their shimano pedals so they could clip in. Not a trace of build-up n the Eggbeaters.

Feb 2004

Specialized + Crank Bros.

Same shoes but two seasons on them. Mine have three velcro straps. They're still great, confortable, stiff enough, durable... It's true they are cold when the temperature drops but they are fresh when it's hot.

With shimano pedals (747, a few years old) I had to cut the tread around the cleats, I was always stuck (it did made my friends laugh on a few occasion tough...) and had difficulty clipping in. Then again, I never liked Shimano pedals...

I bought Crank Bros. Candy SL pedals recently but haven't tried them yet because it's winter and they are going on my new bike very soon (I'll get it in march)! I have some old Shimano shoes to use with my SPD pedal equiped bike.