Shoes and Pedals- Mtbr.com
    donkey

Shoes and Pedals

I'm looking for a new shoe/pedal combo. I have Pearl Izumi Vagabond 3s and yellow crank brothers candyCs. I'm not thrilled with either product. My pedals like to let my foot go seemingly at random, and my shoes are trashed. The sole is coming off a bit (kicked a tree stump pedaling through a corner) and they seem to be really stretched out. I have kind of wide feet, so width is also a concern i have. It seems like shoes are one thing a lot of people overlook... your feet are arguably the most important point of contact with the bike.

So, my question is this; What are your thoughts? What shoes do you like? Why? I think I've decided on time pedals, but they've introduced a few different models. What is everyone riding? Thanks- Hopefully this can be the thread where all knowledge shoe/pedal related is consolidated.

Jan 2007

just switched

went back to clipless after two years (give or take) on platforms. lovin' it. went from 661 hammer "skate style" shoes with odyssey cielincki bmx pedals - to - adidas hammer spd shoes with chrome eggbeaters. shoes seem to run a bit larger than other brands with the same size. uses a cord with a lock type tensioner instead of straps or ratchets, etc. seems to stay tight for now. sole is stiff, especially coming from "flats." pedals are great. they fit in with my personal simplespeed philosophy of the less adjustments, the less to screw up. now it's time to replace my rear tire. i'm spinning it up being clipped in. rarely happened with the flat pedals. i know this isn't the clipless vs. platforms thread, so i'll stop now. hope my review helps a bit.

Keep on Rockin...

Sidis are tops...

...Eggs have been my choice for years. However I've developed some problems with the pedal wearing into the sole and causing too-easy release issues. A problem not fixed with new cleats or those little metal plates that go under the cleats. Years back I ran Times but made the switch to Eggs to save some weight. For the most part the eggs were OK. As of yesterday I got a new set of Times. Wow, what a difference. The cleat retension is incredible (at least on the adjustable version with the tesion maxed). The feel of the platform is far better and the in-or-out feel is much more noticeable. I tried Shimanos in the past and felt the retention was not strong enough.

So, bottom line. Sidis plus Times.

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J
    So, bottom line. Sidis plus Times.
    That happens to be my combination too.

Not that I've tried any other clipless than the one I bought used from a buddy who couldn't use Time Atac because of weak knees. He sad that they required more twisting to clip out.

My only problem is, clipping-in is still challenging after 5 years of use, and may take 3-4 pedal strokes in technical or very steep situations. Maybe my left foot is just too clumsy.

Ali

meh... whatever
    specialized bg carbon mtn shoes + spd.

egg cleats are brass, which wear too quick and get sloppy quick. also, as mikerj said the peds dig into the shoes.

running spd's with the tension set at max i dont have any issues with unintentional clipouts, yet the float is great for technical stuffs. theyve been bombproof and hold up to anything thrown at them including crappy riding conditions and mud.

the bg shoes align the feet and knees correctly to help prevent injuries, and its not just hype. it really works. specialized also makes bg shoe inserts so you can get the benefit and still ride your favorite shoe

however, if you have wide feet then sidi's are the way to go.

speaking of shoes - i just happen to have a brand new pair of pearl izumi ti beam (carbon/ti) shoes (46) for stupid cheap if anyone is interested...
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mbabaracus
    I love my Carbon ATACs. They are bullet proof. I ride specialized shoes and like them but the buckles are borderline defective on the model I have. Ergonomically they rock though. My wife runs a similar setup with ATAC XLs and the speedgoat shaved cleats for super easy exit from the pedal. She also loves her setup.

bm

mtbr member
    May 2006

sidi/eggbeater best

previously mentioned- the only issue is with the eggbeaters eating into the sole and that perfect new cleat feel lasting no more than a month. currently, i have the srs dragon version and i hope sidi remedies this issue with a flush, replaceable slug (in the near future). otherwise, i'll be purchasing only the dominators when on sale. campagnolo, ferrari, vasque boots, sidi cycling shoes: the italians deserve the props. as far as the times, too much float for me. shimano products are engineered obsolescence at its finest so i won't go there either. until something better comes along...

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I have to dis-agree about brass cleats wearing quicker.
    I've been on Times for 12 years after switching from SPD's.
    One of my biggest grips with SPD's was the cleats wore out quickly and my feet would get stuck in the pedals. I actually ruined the sole of a shoe due to this.
    The brass cleats of Times are good for a couple of years for me, and never have given me any release problems.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Sidis + shimanos here

Mar 2007
    Sidi shoes are the way to go. The fit from Sidi is outstanding, construction is top quality, and they are quite durable. My current pair are Dominator 3s and they have several years on them with no seam/construction issues. I did replace the buckles this year for 25 dollars. They also make their shoes in standard and wide variations to accomodate different fit requirements. As for pedals I ride nothing but Shimano. They work flawlessly, and last forever. The 540s @ about 90 dollars are an outstanding value in my opinion, or go up to the 970s if you can get a deal, you shave a few grams and bearing quality goes from smooth to silky. I do run the tension at the maximum setting like monogod, and I have no problems with popping out.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by nbrennan
    My pedals like to let my foot go seemingly at random.....
    New cleats helped me out with this. So, I would not just reject the CB pedals. I have three sets and I like'em lots. I am going to check out the Specialized BG Sport shoes. They can be had for less than $80. Good luck!
    Tuff Schist

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    I have to dis-agree about brass cleats wearing quicker.
    well, there might be a parallel universe where brass is harder and wears slower than steel, but in the universe we inhabit its quite the opposite.

brass will always wear faster than steel under the same stress conditions and loads.

eggs are brass, spd's are steel.

and generally, when a cleat of any type wears out it will not fully engage a pedal much less get stuck in it. not saying yours didnt, just stating the norm. usually when an spd cleat wont release correctly its because they arent bolted down tightly and/or correctly. repeated attempts at releasing in this condition will eat the last and sole quickly.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    You're right brass is indeed softer than steel, but the design of Egg Beaters and ATAC pedals must allows for a greater degree of cleat wear before needing replacement.
    SPD's may have come a long way since 737's and 747's (early to mid 90's), but with those models when your cleats wore the wouldn't release.
    That's why I switched to Time.

donkey
    new cleats haven't helped me at all, and there are no gouges in the sole of my shoe. the pedals will let my foot out sporadically and inconsistently. Also, the tines appear to be wearing down. Any experience with the actual engagement tines wearing out?

meh... whatever
    but the design of Egg Beaters and ATAC pedals must allows for a greater degree of cleat wear before needing replacement.
    um... we will definitely have to agree to disagree on that since its impossible to design brass to wear slower than steel.
    SPD's may have come a long way since 737's and 747's (early to mid 90's), but with those models when your cleats wore the wouldn't release.
    wow... thats news to me. design/functionality hasnt really changed since then. not saying it didnt happen to you, but if in fact it was actually cleat wear that caused them to not release then i can definitely say that based on my knowledge/experience its certainly the exception.

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nbrennan
    new cleats haven't helped me at all, and there are no gouges in the sole of my shoe. the pedals will let my foot out sporadically and inconsistently. Also, the tines appear to be wearing down. Any experience with the actual engagement tines wearing out?
    ATACs and Sidis, *****.

mtbr member
    spesh pro carbon's and eggbeaters have worked well for me. No problems with mud, etc. Shims under the cleats will keep your shoes from getting messed up by the pedal, and replace the cleats when they start getting worn.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I'm not saying that they are wearing slower, but that they can wear more and still perform properly. I get up to 2 years with Time cleats, and I know people who get even longer.
    As far as release, I know a dozen riders who have had the same experience.

meh... whatever
    they can wear more and still perform properly.
    like i said... we'll have to agree to disagree

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    for years i've been using specialized shoes and spds on my 26" SS, and cdale sneakers and frogs on my truth.

but i just got a new-to--me rig with time ATACs and sidis

i *love* the combo so much that i just went out and bought some of the fancy carbon-titanium ATACs for the truth.

Sidis+ATACs=life is good

mtbr member
    Had Spd's until about 1998... Then Time ATAC's and Sidi's, and have never looked back.
    luck favors the prepared.

Members who have read this thread: 0