Shoes and pedals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... Shoes and pedals

Hi all,

Looking to go clipless soon...have a chicken or the egg problem...

Get the pedals first then try to find shoes or the other way round ..or does it matter at all.

Next Q, thinking of the egg beater mallets..or something or other, there clipless but look like a platform pedal, cant remember.

As for shoes any thoughts of what to get for this newbie. I was reading a thread in the general discussion saw a pic of Specialized Rockhopper comp..anyone know what kind of price Im looking at, and where to buy...

i ride mostly XC. sixe13 b-ball shoe..shoe sizes the same??

Thanks in advance

Smiley

mtbr member
    Well, as far as your "chicken or egg" - as you put it - question, I think you'd have to get them at the same time to try any out, right? Plus, it just makes sense, if you're going to buy it at your LBS, you may get a break if you buy pedals and shoes there at the same time. As far as pedals go, I'd recomend Time ATAC Alium, they're some of the easiest pedals to learn to ride clipless with. And shoes - if you don't want to spend too much on your 1st pair, you can get something economical like say Specialized Sport or Comp shoes. You can sometimes see them on sale from 02 or 03, really cheap. I think that once you'd get used to riding with your new set up you'd find that you want a stiffer sole than the Rockhoppers will provide.

Arek

Jan 2004

crank bros

I bought a pair of crank brothers mallet c's and think they are a great pedal. They are strong, and backed by crank bros for 2yr. If your going for a lighter pedal they have just normal egg beaters or something like the candy. They are a piece of cake to get in and out once you get used to it. I went in between a door at home and clicked and out and about 50 or so times and went out and had no problems. Only once on the trail did I forget to unclip once I finally worked up my climb to the top only to fall onto my side, no big deal. Didn't leave a mark. It is going to happen no matter what pedal you choose at some pt.

Also bought the shoes online too. Took a chance and they fit like a glove. Never got sore feet or had sore feet during the break in stage. Save a lot of money buying them online too. I went with Diadora Chili's and they seem like a great shoe. But college racked up enough of a bill and I am on a budget so I took my chance online. And in the end I got a nice setup and saved a lot on my shoes/pedals.

As was already said you might get a deal buying from one shop. It truly is a great upgrade and I am very happy I went clipless thou. So you won't loose out on this when its all said and done.
    Last edited by crank; 04-27-2004 at 06:24 AM.

Apr 2004

Mec.

you'll get a better deal on-line or at MEC. since your new to the whole clipless thing i'd suggest trying stuff on first and seeing what feels comfortable rather than just blindly ordering off the internet. MEC does carry crank bros stuff - not sure about mallets though. also call down before you go and make sure what your looking for is in stock. the toronto store doesn't seem to keep a ton of gear on hand. i've rode the same pair of cheap ritchey pedals with specialized sport shoes for the last 4 years and they've held up really well.

mtbr member
    used to use Time Aliums, great pedal for entry/exit & lateral play regardless of conditions. Now I run flats since I'm more into freeriding.

Get used to the idea of falling sideways from a stationary bike while desperately trying to unclip, it'll happen more than once before it becomes second nature.

Buy both at once (pedal & shoes) 'cause you can usualy swing a better $$ deal, anything comfortable, that breathes well, can get coated in mud and is easy to clean with a stiff sole and replacable metal pins at the front (for climbing traction when your legs/skills give out), then plastic ones don't last.

Clem

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Depending on the conditions that you ride in, mud-clearing ability may be a factor in the pedals you purchase. My first pair of pedals were the Shimano M515, which for standard xc-type stuff, were sufficient (trying to do more tech/hopping/etc, they do unclip easily if you aren't careful), but if I got into the muck, they were terrible...sometimes you can just kick the pedal a few times while you are riding, but that doesn't always work. Just something to think about...shouldn't really be riding public trails when it's muddy anyways :-P

For shoes, make sure that they are reasonable confortable and fit well, and get as stiff a sole as possible, so your energy is transferred to the pedal, not to flex in the sole.

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan
    Now I run flats since I'm more into freeriding.
    How did you find the switch from clips to flats??? I just put my first pair on this weekend. Haven't rode them around yet. I guess I'm gonna have to learn to do real bunny hops now.

Jan 2004

try

like i said in my prev. post. (I went from flats to clipless just this season) I took my bike and placed it between a door way in my apt. Then clip in and out and do it 50+ times. Helps break the cleats in also. Even clip in once by hand so you can see how it works. I did the 50-60 ins and outs on two different nights then went out.

I have only fell once from not being able to get out quick enough after a somewhat hard climb. After only a few rides I have no problem cliping in without looking at my pedals/feet, and its easy enough to unclip. I think my practice in home made going outside that much easier.

best of luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Last summer I just rode wearing a pair of running shoes. This year I'm looking to get a pair of proper shoes. I just need an idea of what to look for. Try to make the brands, ones that are available in Canada. When it gets closer to the season, I'll probably head up to MEC & try some on.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    You might find some good deals at the upcoming Spring Bike Show in March, if you were planning to go there anyway.

MEC has a decent offering of shoes, at fairly competitive prices. Sidi is a well known brand they carry, as well as Lake.

Looking at their web site, it seems their selection is a little narrower than usual....probably because of the season.

You definitely have to try them for fit before you buy them. Too loose and your foot will be all over the place when you're pulling and pushing on the pedals. Too tight, and you'll cut off your circulation.

Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pucker Factor
    You might find some good deals at the upcoming Spring Bike Show in March, if you were planning to go there anyway.

MEC has a decent offering of shoes, at fairly competitive prices. Sidi is a well known brand they carry, as well as Lake.

Looking at their web site, it seems their selection is a little narrower than usual....probably because of the season.
    Sometimes MEC has stuff instore that's not on the site. MEC does have good prices too.
    Spring bike show and Fall clearance is a good time to look for pedals and shoes. You can find some good deals and usually what you want if you can find your size that is of course.

I've had Specialized Ritchy clones that I believe were causing me some knee pain. I switched to Time ATACS and liked the the extra float and my knee pain was gone. I found the ATACs hard to get out of sometimes because of the extra float and the way clip mechanism works so I decided to try the 959s on the suggestion of a friend last year and I actually like them. I bought them at the Fall 2003 clearance sale so there you go there are some good deals there. I was worried about knee pain wih the reduced float but I haven't had any problems and I find them easier to get out of in the "oh my god! I have to unclip or I'm going to crash badly sections." I used to unclip with the Times before these sections now I stay with the 959s knowing I can get out in time... usually.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Shimano pedals and shoes

Last June I took the plunge and went clipless. After advise on these forums, I bought the Shimano M038 shoes (paid $89 at a store in inglewood) and the M520 pedals ($65 I think). I thought this was a good deal for both of these items.

Anyway, I set the pedals to the 2nd loosest setting, it's very easy to get out of. The shoes are nice because you can still walk in them, as I need to at times to walk up those hills (early in the season . I practiced by riding very slow in a field, almost like a track stand, then unclipping at the last moment. I had a few falls going up hills, but it wasn't that bad.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut
    Last June I took the plunge and went clipless. After advise on these forums, I bought the Shimano M038 shoes
    Looking around @ the websites of the LBSs in the GTA they stocked these shoes. They appear to be what I'm looking for. I'll check to see if I can can any more info on them.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by revrnd
    Looking around @ the websites of the LBSs in the GTA they stocked these shoes. They appear to be what I'm looking for. I'll check to see if I can can any more info on them.
    Here's the MTBR review: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Shoes/product_122833.shtml
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada