Shoes needed for my dream 29er SS!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Shoes needed for my dream 29er SS!!

Hello,

I am looking for a good custom made wheel set for my dream ride (a 29er SS Niner, The One 9). I am looking for durability and light weight. I am also looking for cool looking white rims to accentuate the atomic blue color of the Niner frame

I am 6 feet, 170 lbs, and ride XC trails in Houston, TX (i.e. Memorial Park, Huntsville State Park, and Ant Hills).

With the research I have been doing, I believe a could get a nice wheelset for $600 or so (weight: 1,650-1,700 grams)

I would like your help on two things: 1) best combination of Rims & hub taking into account my budget? 2) references/contact info of places where I could get good quality and cost competitive wheelsets.

Here are the rims and hubs I am considering:

Rim: ZTR 355, ZTR Arch, or DT Swiss XR4.2d. Are the ZTR 355 too weak??
    Hub: Hope Pro II or DT Swiss 240

Note: speedgoat offers American Classics 2009 29er wheelset for $650. What do you all think about these wheels?

Lastly, as per back wheel for a SS…..is it better to have quick release or bolt?

Thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Arch / DT 240. Light and durable. Simple to perform maintenance on.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Since your SS has an EBB you do not need a bolt on hub. Contact mikesee, he'll build up just what you need.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Go to prowheelbuilder.com and design custom wheels. They built me a pair and the wheels are great. They take a while to arrive after ordering but are well worth the wait.

here are mine
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BackwardsTires; 04-19-2009 at 09:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Hm. How about DT 240 with Bontrager Mustang TLR rims. Spokes and nips of the builders choice. Bomber and light. Arches would be sweet also, but I think the Bontrager tubeless system is the easiest to use of any out there.

Members who have read this thread: 0