Shoes.... Need better shoes.....irritated.- Mtbr.com
    Semper Fi
    Jul 2007

Shoes.... Need better shoes.....irritated.

I have Shimano M075 shoes right now, which are pretty much bottom line shoes with SPD clips. They were about $80 or so at Trek SD in Vista, Ca.

Problem I am having is that although the shoe fits well, when I go to clip-out, I feel like the shoe "lags" behind my foot. In other words, when I rotate outboard to unclip, it does not feel like the shoe is going with my foot, and I have to rotate farther outboard to unclip. I have met dirt several times because of this.

Am I just being a baby or do I have a real issue? I was thinking about buying a high dollar shoe with a stiffer sole and sturdier construction, but don't know what's really a good shoe to go with.

Any thoughts you may have is appreciated.

mtbr member

Sidis

I haven't worn Shimano shoes, but I can tell you that my new $220 Sidi Dominator 5's fit SO much better than my Specialized Sport ($85), it ain't even funny. I used to think my friends who had Sidis were fools for paying that much. Not any more. I'm convinced. I bought the mesh version for the extra ventilation.

"If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelninja
    I haven't worn Shimano shoes, but I can tell you that my new $220 Sidi Dominator 5's fit SO much better than my Specialized Sport ($85), it ain't even funny. I used to think my friends who had Sidis were fools for paying that much. Not any more. I'm convinced. I bought the mesh version for the extra ventilation.
    Agree. Sidi rocks; not exactly cheap, but well worth it.

Cheers, Chris

Semper Fi
    Jul 2007
    Will they give a more positive unclipping?

Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by unit74
    Will they give a more positive unclipping?
    They fit like a glove - no heel slippage or slop at all. You get that nice fit without having to crush your foot with the straps. Very comfy. Like any clothing, go somewhere and try out different sizes to ensure you are getting the best & proper fit. I've also heard good things about the high-end Specialized shoes.

Cheers, Chris

txn
    mtbr member
    If you like the way your Shimanos fit, then check out their M225s. They have a very stiff sole, ratcheting strap, and they're like $140.

Semper Fi
    Jul 2007
    I'll take a look at both those shoes....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I absolutely love the way Sidis fit, though Im not a fan of the newer Dominator models, particularly the part of the ratchet strap (hard plastic) that goes over the top of the foot. After longer rides, I get a distinctly uncomfortable pressure spot.

The older ones, with a nice, soft piece of faux leather, were much more comfortable, even though they were Eurotrashy blue.

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    I've had several brands of shoes (last few pairs were Lake, Shimano, and Specialized), and never had the problem you describe. Are you sure your cleats are firmly attached and don't rotate at all? Does playing with the release tension setting on your pedals help? Does the shoe fit your foot, or is it actually moving relative to your foot when you go to unclip? Make sure all that stuff is squared away before spending more $$ on shoes.

Also, just a reminder that shoe fit is incredibly personal. I've tried on Sidis and they are torture devices for my feet. Not saying they're bad shoes, but they are horrible for me. Wouldn't wear them if you paid me. Make sure whatever you get fits right.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

Semper Fi
    Jul 2007
    Everything is tight......But the whole shoe is flimsy. It feels like when I rotate out, the side of the shoe is stretching or folding a little and not giving the clip my full rotation.

I loosened up the peddles to the softest position as well.

Toby Wong?
    Sidi's are great shoes. I ride Specialized shoes b/c the model I have seems to have a better ratchet system than the Sidi's (after 4 years it is starting to fail, but you can replace them).

The main difference was that the toe box of the shoe has rubber from the sole that wraps up and around.....just in case I smack it into a rock or have an ugly dab.

They are both good though.
    lets not make it a religion, it is recreation

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    my first thought was a loose/horribly adjusted cleat. if that is not the case and your shoes really do suck, try something a bit better. my carbon soled mountain shoes from specialized ($180 or so retail) fit really well and work great.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by unit74
    Everything is tight......But the whole shoe is flimsy. It feels like when I rotate out, the side of the shoe is stretching or folding a little and not giving the clip my full rotation.

I loosened up the peddles to the softest position as well.
    Well then, sounds like it's time for shoe shopping. I bet there are a lot of shoes out there that won't have the flexy problems you describe.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

mtbr member
    I have a pair of the ratchet fit Shimanos, not sure what #, that I have used for the past four years. Sidi, Specialized, Shimano and others make this type that last and fit your foot snug without being too tight.

mtbr member
    Unit74, your problem is exactly what you think it is, your shoe is twisting and delaying your release. This is not uncommon in an entry level shoe that generally has a less ridged sole. Upgrade to something stiffer and you will feel the difference not only in your release but also in your power transfer.
    I have been running Specialized for the last three years and absolutely love them, definitely worth looking at.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Unit, I hear the Path has a great selection of shoes down in Orange County. Great prices too.

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    I'm agreeing with most of the rest here.
    You get what you pay for.

At the start of this year I upgraded and bought some Specialized Pro Carbon Mtn Shoes for $250 (on sale from 320) and they are a HUGE noticeable difference better than my old $100 nikes.

I haven't personally ridden Sidi's, but some buddies have them, and they have no complaints.

Try on as many different types as you can until you find the perfect fit. Don't compromise on fit. Make sure you're shoe fits like a glove.
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i have a pair of sidi rampa's which are a low end model...but they are still fantastic shoes. they fit perfect rigth out of the box...thyy only cost around $70 so you may want to look for them...
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

Members who have read this thread: 0