shoes and knee/shin guards?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

shoes and knee/shin guards?

I need better shoes when its wet to work with platform pedals. I've been using running shoes and the rubber slips when wet. For some reason it wont stop raining here! I was told loteks are good. Feedback? Also heard about 5-10 midtop high impact shoes but I wear a 5.5 to 6 boys so my feet are too small for these.

Also was told that I should get knee/shin guards with plastic on top. I have the 4x4s knee/shins. OK but hot and the smalls are too wide on me. So I need a narrower build. Maybe even youth. Seems like most knee/shin guards are made for motocross and arent mobile enough. I was thinking of my s-one knees which are narrow and told by a moto cross rider to get these moldable soccer shin guards at this soccer shop that are compressed foam/hard plastic. Feedback on this? Soon I will have more time to pedal hard but plan on no injuries this summer.

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    all shoes slip when wet. what pedals are you using?

is no longer new
    May 2008
    i use running shoes too, and i've ridden with them enough that the metal spikes on the platforms have dug little holes in my shoes, making gripping a little better. Also, if you're on a budget, use soccer shin guards. even if they're half-shin or whatever, its protection. I'm also going to wally-world to get some cheap knee/elbow pads.
    CallMeTheNewGuy bikes across the US, summer 2010:

crazyguyonabike.com/doc/caravanofcrazies

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i'm a big guy, but the 661 4x4 leg/shin pads work great for me(especially on the unicycle where pedal bikes are more common) and i see all sizes of people, including smaller kids wearing them, whether they've got on youth sizes or what, i don't know, but i know they're nice pads.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Its been raining here non stop. I also ride uni too! I like the uni for when it rains since dirt/skate is out then and I want to commute to work on that soon, all weather. I have twisted PCs but might get the MG1's. I'm narrow and the youth 661 4x4s are too short on me. So I have the Smalls and they are an inch wide. Not sure if this will be a prob. with BMX. I want to uni on rainy days but my feet slip. I might just BMX if I cant fix this problem on wet daays as I'm getting a front brake on it this week so I wont slam cars lol. So considering different pedals/shoes. I'm also going to give the BMX track a try and they recommend shin/knee guards with plastic so not sure if the 661s I have are OK now. I dont think they will hold up to the crashes on dirt. If I go metal pins, dont want to dig my shins lol. I think my s-ones are better for falls so thats why considering separate good soccer shin guards for the BMX/DJing and the 661s for uni.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by callmetheNewGuy
    i use running shoes too, and i've ridden with them enough that the metal spikes on the platforms have dug little holes in my shoes, making gripping a little better. Also, if you're on a budget, use soccer shin guards. even if they're half-shin or whatever, its protection. I'm also going to wally-world to get some cheap knee/elbow pads.
    They work OK when its dry, just not wet. I put on skate shoes and they dont grip either. Just wondering if a BMX or MTB shoe would be better when wet or if a metal bmx pedal would do better. Went from the plastic twisted PCs to the Odysessy trailmix and wasnt any better. If its going to rain for a week, I need to still go out and have some fun but dont want to have to take it too easy.

mtbr member
    I use the Race Face shin/knee pads for years. Love them! As far as the shoes. I have used the Half Cabs from Vans. Thats all I wear. Great ankle support, gummy bottoms, and take big time abuse. You may consider pedals with more spikes too, I use the Crank Bros 50/50 with all the holes filled with spikes. I'm not too worried on the extreme spikes on the pedals because I use the knee/shin combo. Hope that helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just searched and they now have race face for women, smaller sized too so that could work. But at $60, its not cheap. I'm also considering the s-one knee pads I have already which are small but have 1/2" padding and then the soccer shin guards that are supposed to be amazing at this shop here or lizards soft shell either regular or mini. I'm not sure how long the reg. are. I read roaches are good but those are too big for me.

Def. will get better pedals! I'll search on those shoes. I have to see what I can order from work as I am getting credit to the store for stuff and dont have much money now.

How thick padding in the knees are race face? I think 4x4s are about 1/4" and no hard shell so a direct slam to the knee I can still really feel it. S-one knees not. On BMX I dont think I'll have issues of slamming the pedal behind the leg like the uni.

Quote Originally Posted by spicoli-ss
    I use the Race Face shin/knee pads for years. Love them! As far as the shoes. I have used the Half Cabs from Vans. Thats all I wear. Great ankle support, gummy bottoms, and take big time abuse. You may consider pedals with more spikes too, I use the Crank Bros 50/50 with all the holes filled with spikes. I'm not too worried on the extreme spikes on the pedals because I use the knee/shin combo. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    The Race Face is based on the Roach design. Jenson has it a preety good price.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Armor+08.aspx

I love them, I use them for park, street and trail riding.

El Pollo Diablo
    Vans and Roach/RF Rally FR.

661 soft elbow/forearm pads when I decide to rock upper body armor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I am trying to find out sizes since rarely does something fit me. So far I cannot find any sizes listed for womens Race face knee/shin. I was told they are 1/2" thick so thats just as good as the s-one knees. I was considering s-one with lizard skin minis. Now I was told the race face is 4mm thick which is less then what I'm wanting.
    Last edited by cstone; 05-04-2009 at 01:16 PM.

El Pollo Diablo
    I'm gonna put it out there that being so specific about the thickness of your pads might not be too terribly important...
    (bonus points since the 1/2" thickness has got to include both the padding and the outer shell, so comparing it to the 4mm isn't accurate... 4mm sounds like the thickness of the outer plastic shell to me)

actually, I'd be hard pressed to come up with any reason to really care about the thickness of the pad, so long as it's durable enough to keep your pedals from eating your shins.

I say go with whatever fits, and don't worry about the thickness, just as long as the pads have a hard shell.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowMongoose
    I'm gonna put it out there that being so specific about the thickness of your pads might not be too terribly important...
    (bonus points since the 1/2" thickness has got to include both the padding and the outer shell, so comparing it to the 4mm isn't accurate... 4mm sounds like the thickness of the outer plastic shell to me)

actually, I'd be hard pressed to come up with any reason to really care about the thickness of the pad, so long as it's durable enough to keep your pedals from eating your shins.

I say go with whatever fits, and don't worry about the thickness, just as long as the pads have a hard shell.
    Well, plaastic is great for abrasions but not necessarily impact of hard hits. I have fallen directly onto my knee, esp. on the uni onto the road and I can really feel it with the 4x4s, not so with the s-one knee pads. Petal bite is probably good enough with just plastic. So far I can find no source on sizing for those pads. So now thinking of just doing the s-ones and lizard skins shin guards.

El Pollo Diablo
    I'm not even aware of anyone who makes shin pads that are just plastic...
    I was referring to the difference between soft pads and soft pads with an outer, hard, shell.

by all means, go for the S-ones and lizard shins...
    I just think there's a case to be made for a one piece knee/shin unit.
    (and as such, I rock one piece knee and shin pads.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowMongoose
    I'm not even aware of anyone who makes shin pads that are just plastic...
    I was referring to the difference between soft pads and soft pads with an outer, hard, shell.

by all means, go for the S-ones and lizard shins...
    I just think there's a case to be made for a one piece knee/shin unit.
    (and as such, I rock one piece knee and shin pads.)
    I really havent decided yet. I have not crashed enough on my bike to know what is optimal. Most my falls have been on my uni where I can fall directly on my knee. So thats why I was thinking thicker padding might be better. So far all my bike crashes have been onto my side/hip/elbow area. If so then the one piece would be better and might need to think about hip padding more lol. I might wait and go to the track and see what others have and speak to them. My 4x4s are still in one piece. Also I need to find out if those pads will fit. If not my decision is made based on my size. I might do some BMX racing. If so I need to think about more serious gear as getting slammed by another bike also sounds more dangerous then when I know I'm bailing and can control my fall somewhat.

mtbr member
    I just use my Merrel mid height hiking boots. Lots of tread for grip and ankle support. My favorite pedals with good traction are the Primo Tenderizers. Cheap and can last awhile.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I saw some gear. The knee/shin combo will work best as I think skate gear is better for lower speed impacts. The foam seems more dense. Problem will be sizing. I will have to see if I can find a pair small enough or might have to get elbows for my knees. I tried on a pair of rockgarden elbows med. and they were perfect for my legs. I am not sure how this compares though. Just elbows tend not to get around the knee as well.

I'm thinking about these as I found a chart and they would fit. Race face youth L

http://www.backcountry.com/store/siz...t_id=100000010

Just wondering, my calf is 11.75". Should I try womens small? I can get a discount from work but no returns.
    Last edited by cstone; 05-05-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0