shoes hurting my feet..too stiff or too flexy??- Mtbr.com
    jmw
    mtbr member

shoes hurting my feet..too stiff or too flexy??

Bought a new pair of shoes recently (mid level mtb Sidi) and after longer rides, especially on rocky downhills, my feet start aching. They start to hurt to where I have to stop to put my feet on the ground.

I've tried a couple different insoles with arch support.

Moved the cleats.

Could the shoes be too flexy or too stiff?

I'm thinking a shoe with a more flexy sole (for shock absorption) might be the way to go....
    ?????

My previous shoes were Specialized and those didn't have this same issue.

suggestions?
    future nature

AZ
    banned
    Need more info , feet ache where ? You moved the cleats , from what position to what position ? What kind of pedals do you use ?

jmw
    mtbr member
    pedals are eggbeater candies, but the only thing that has changed is the shoes....didn't have problems before the shoe change.

Used Specialized shoes previously, but they wore out.

I've moved the cleats forward and backward.

Pain is in the ball of the foot, over the pedal.
    future nature

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmw
    Bought a new pair of shoes recently (mid level mtb Sidi) and after longer rides, especially on rocky downhills, my feet start aching. They start to hurt to where I have to stop to put my feet on the ground.

I've tried a couple different insoles with arch support.

Moved the cleats.

Could the shoes be too flexy or too stiff?

I'm thinking a shoe with a more flexy sole (for shock absorption) might be the way to go....
    ?????

My previous shoes were Specialized and those didn't have this same issue.

suggestions?
    Could be either, or that the basic shape of the sole does not fit your feet well.

Also check that the cleat bolts are not too long and creating a lump in the inside of the shoe. (been there)
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

jmw
    mtbr member
    also, the pain is only temporary, but is quite distracting and painful during riding. After riding/next day, no issues.
    future nature

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Maybe you are over tightening them across your arch? Have you tried varying how snugly you have them fastened? How about your socks? Maybe a thinner sock?

As Shiggy said, maybe the shoe shape just doesn't agree with your feet. I tried on some Sidis a few years ago, and flat out didn't like them. The standard model was too narrow across the wide part of my foot, but sloppy across my instep. The "mega" wide version was just sloppy all over. I have "D" width feet, so not abnormally large.

My current road shoes are Northwave, and my current mtn shoes are Specialized. No complaints about either in terms of fit.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    Maybe you are over tightening them across your arch? Have you tried varying how snugly you have them fastened? How about your socks? Maybe a thinner sock?

As Shiggy said, maybe the shoe shape just doesn't agree with your feet. I tried on some Sidis a few years ago, and flat out didn't like them. The standard model was too narrow across the wide part of my foot, but sloppy across my instep. The "mega" wide version was just sloppy all over. I have "D" width feet, so not abnormally large.

My current road shoes are Northwave, and my current mtn shoes are Specialized. No complaints about either in terms of fit.
    Agree with other suggestions and...
    Same here,,,,Specialized Tahos are the only bike shoes that fit me due to this and a longer big toe that requires rounder toebox area of shoes,
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

mtbr member
    Any luck with sorting this out? got to ask, if it ain't broke, why try to fix it? i.e why didn't you buy back a pair of SpecialEDs if they worked for you before? SpecialED and Sidi have 2 very different shapes and feels to them - I loved my Sidis, bought a cheap pair of Ed as backup and never liked them, held my foot wrong, didn't fit like the Sidis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004

Saw it earlier in here

Shoes are probably too tight! I had the same issue with my road shoes and feet would get sore after 20 miles. I tried moving my clips around and that didn't work. Finally just started puting them on without cranking down on the rachet and WOW!!!! Ridden Centuries and spent a lot of continous hours in my shoes with no problem ever since.
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

Members who have read this thread: 0