shoes for freakish feet- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

shoes for freakish feet

I saw someone mentioned they had wide feet. So, now I'm going to ask a question that I'm hoping somebody out there can help me with.

I'm stuck with brand (make,model,style) loyalty because I hate to shop and the mountain bike shoe selection in the stores seems limited IMO. I am so hard-to-fit when it comes to shoes that there's no way I feel comfortable buying online because I MUST try the shoes on first... or maybe have a recommendation from someone in similar shoes?? (hint)

I am positive Cinderella and I would never get our slippers mixed up. I don't have tiny feet. I have short FAT feet! I'm currently wearing a size 36 Specialized Sport shoe. They look similar to Spike's avatar, but I'd bet money that her shoes are NOT size 36!

And since I'm feeling freakish thinking about my feet, I'll confess something else. Do you remember that thread a while back where the guy was asking about a S or XS bike for his wife/gfriend? And I said, "What if she had short limbs and...?" And then Dirtcrab started talking about possibly qualifying her post for non-freakishly built women? Well... I wasn't talking hypothetical woman there. I was talking about ME! I've heard mtb chicks are a different breed of woman, so I don't expect any of you to relate to these BII (body image issues) that I'm touching on here. I'm really just looking for shoe advice... or bad jokes about my feet

Mar 2004

I Feel Your Pain

Hey when I was growing up my mom would get so frustrated she said, "why don't we just get you the boxes!" When I got married my shoe size was 5 1/2 extra wide. SInce having kids they have gotten longer which helps. I always buy mens in sports shoes, and I'm not much help in the MTB shoes since I've only tried Lakes and they're OK.

Hope you can find something that works for you.
    Donna

Glue Sniffer
    When you said "freakish feet", I was kind of expecting 6 webbed toes and a mouth kind of "freakish". I admit, I'm a little dissappointed.

I'm a Vans/flats kind of a gal, so I don't have any actual advice.
    Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDoIt
    ... I've heard mtb chicks are a different breed of woman, so I don't expect any of you to relate to these BII (body image issues) that I'm touching on here. I'm really just looking for shoe advice... or bad jokes about my feet
    Sister and I had flat skinny loooooong feet from childhood, mother even called them 'deformed'. Totally genetic... dad's 9 brothers and sisters have the same and passed it along to their children and grandchildren, and one can spot those trademark flippers from birth- my sister phoned right after my neice was born saying she had THE FEET and we all groaned. Buying shoes for us was a torment for mom, especially since we grew up in a rural area. I now run about size 10, sister's feet are even longer- and trust me, NO ONE makes fashionable footwear that big!!! Thank goodness we're hiking boot/ running shoe kinda gals.

Even so, companies are just starting to go up to 11 or even 12 occasionally in women's, but most often they go striaght from 9 to 10 and stop there. Heaven help you if you happen to fit 9.5 in that model, and forget narrow/med/wide choices. Most stores will only stock a very few that large so we have to get them while we can on sale or not.

Anyway... all that to say I feel your pain.

Apr 2004

I feel your pain...

My feet are short and fat (I tend to use the term "wide"), but fat is really what they are. My brother used to call them Flintstone feet, because they're almost as wide as they are long...and they reminded him of Fred's as he'd stop the Brontosaurus mobile with his footies.

I've found that with all shoes, I have to let increased length make up an awful lot for width. So though my foot length is a five, I have to wear a 6, 6.5 or 7 to get the width I need. I also have a high instep and a very high arch, adding to the problem. If you have these too, I know you're in a bind.

I went with the Specialized Sport Mountain Shoe. It didn't hit any of my needs perfectly, but overall it had a good fit and the shoe isn't so extra long that I feel uncomfortable with it.And it's not as expensive as many other options I worried I'd have to try.

Maybe this doesn't solve your problem or answer your question, but know there's probably more of us dealing with this same problem than you think. You're not alone, sister!

There's no app for this.

suggestion

these work for me. Not your roadie look, but I ride on the Norshore/BC and need the flatter sole for support in rough terrrain.

While I AM the wrong sex to post here, my foot is 8.5 EEE (also known as "G" I'm told) and this shoe has been a Godsend after years of ones too narrow.

http://bike.shimano.com/Footwear_Ped...number=SH-MO58

Hope this helps, Jim

Jan 2004

Specialized, Shimano, and Diadoras

I have a fat toe box, but my heals are generally narrow as shoe fit goes. I'm occationally a 37. Just assume that Sidi's and Carnacs are out of the picture and probably Nike's. Save yourself that energy, those are for people who either have narrow feet or like wearing toe shoes on a bicycle (IMO, if I have to say that). My best experience (and I just discovered the Specialized shoes) Shimanos have been fitful for the wider foot. I've never had a problem with my toes. But like I said, my heals are on the skinny side compared to my toes. Also try Diadoras. All of the models are made on the same foot last, the features are what changes the price. I really liked the way the Chilis fit and have toe cleats and have a mix of velcro and laces. Seems like the combination would help them last longer in constant muddy terrain

internet axe murderer

Hey!

Quote Originally Posted by JustDoIt
    They look similar to Spike's avatar, but I'd bet money that her shoes are NOT size 36!
    Hey, are you calling my feet freakishly long?!?

I never remember my European size, but I wear an 8.

Spike

Feb 2004
    Thanks everyone for all the sympathy and helpful suggestions!! Oh, and sorry to disappoint you, catzilla. Now go back to your glue sniffing, ok?

MallieD, I would never call your feet Flintstone feet.

Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr
    Sister and I had flat skinny loooooong feet from childhood... Totally genetic
    I'd hate to think if it wasn't genetic!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spike
    Hey, are you calling my feet freakishly long?!?
    No, Spike. I'd call verslowrdr's feet freakishly long! Just kidding, verslow! I really luv ya. Remind me to tell you a true and funny story about my very long neck sometime. I'd tell you here, but, it's a little wordy and there's no biking content in it.

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr
    Sister and I had flat skinny loooooong feet from childhood, mother even called them 'deformed'. Totally genetic... dad's 9 brothers and sisters have the same and passed it along to their children and grandchildren, and one can spot those trademark flippers from birth- my sister phoned right after my neice was born saying she had THE FEET and we all groaned.
    Are we related? I'm equipped with 9 AA's. A childhood friend used to make fun of my long, skinny toes. When I was wearing pumps to work, if I could find AA's with a AAA heel, I bought two pairs (I think Naturalizer made them). Diadora women's Chilis are the best thing I've found that fits decent. Gotta' have laces - three velcro straps don't cinch things tight enough, and they're usually too long.

For the original poster, yeah, I don't like to buy shoes mailorder, either since 99.9% of the time, the shoes won't fit. A friend of mine wears Northwaves (forgot the model) on her short, wide feet. You could try to find some of those to try. Or, try the men's Sidi Mega's, if they come in a 36. Btw, I can sometimes wear Specialized shoes, so I doubt they're the widest things out there. Good luck!

Kathy :^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

mtbr member
    I was going to suggest Sidi's but when I looked at their web site no go. The Mega's start at size 40 and none of the womens come in the wider size.

I will pass along one tidbit. The Lorica material Sidi's are made from seem to mold to the shape of your feet like no other bike shoe I've seen. I've heard form a few cyclists that the first thing they do with their Sidi's is put them on then soak them wet and then wear until dry. This speeds up the process of costum fitting to their feet. Now if your foot will fit in the small Sidi's without too much discomfort, maybe the water trick would make them just right. An expensive experiment though.

Carnac's and Diadora's seem to run wide, the Carnac's do not come smaller than 39 anymore.