shoes for flat pedals

Printable View

• 05-19-2004
    r1Gel
    shoes for flat pedals
    I've just recently gone back to flat pedals after having one too many crashes because of failing to unclip :(

I'm now pretty happy with my new platform pedals, even though I scrape my shins on them every so often :o [but I've learned how to bunnyhop! :D ] My Salomon Exit Lo's have blown apart and am looking for good replacements.

What non-SPD shoes would you suggest for platform pedals -- comfy enough for walking yet stiff enough for biking? I'm not particularly stoked on skate style shoes and lean more towards light hiking shoes/outdoor cross-trainers.

Suggestions are most welcome.
  • 05-19-2004
    Bikehigh
    You may not be particularly soked on them, but BMX/skate shoes are made to work with platform pedals. The uniform soles allow as many of those little pins on the pedals to be gripped as possible. You start flying down some hills, or doing low speed technical stuff, and they really help you out. They aren't bad for when you have to hike-a-bike either. I've been wearing Vans for the last two years.

That being said, one time I put on the wrong shoes before a ride. In the middle of the ride, I was thinking to myself, "Damn, my feet feel good." Turns out I'd put on my New Balance cross trainers.

Funny enough, I just switched back to clipless after two years on the platforms. I need to climb better, and platforms just weren't getting me there.
  • 05-19-2004
    Itripper
    Running shoes
    I use good running shoes, they have really soft gooey treads and never slip off my pedals, and they absorb a lot of the small shocks. You have to have good pins in your platforms and you wont slip, my good platforms have removable kinda rough edged studs, I never slip off of these, and my other pair of platforms have molded in kinda rounded studs, those suck!
  • 05-19-2004
    robotkiller
    The two best shoes I had were Reebok running shoes and a pair of Vans slip-ons.

Neither were even remotely waterproof, but they stuck like hell -- I never had a platform slip from me.
  • 05-20-2004
    Dave Moore
    NSS meaning Nice - Skates - Shoes
    I use a pair of NSS skate shoes and sometimes, though rarely, a pair of Vans. I don't recall the "model" but they have thick sides and grip to the pedals like crazy. I do use beartrap aluminum pedals that have left some nice scars on my calves but thats happening less and less. They also keep my feet pretty dry. Best shoe I've used so far.

Dave ><>
  • 05-20-2004
    cma
    I agree, almost any skate shoe should be good, they have a tackier rubber compound on the bottoms for traction. I just use good old Chuck Taylors myself (watch out for the long laces though).
  • 05-20-2004
    r1Gel
    I forgot to mention...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rigel
    I've just recently gone back to flat pedals after having one too many crashes because of failing to unclip :(

I'm now pretty happy with my new platform pedals, even though I scrape my shins on them every so often :o [but I've learned how to bunnyhop! :D ] My Salomon Exit Lo's have blown apart and am looking for good replacements.

What non-SPD shoes would you suggest for platform pedals -- comfy enough for walking yet stiff enough for biking? I'm not particularly stoked on skate style shoes and lean more towards light hiking shoes/outdoor cross-trainers.

Suggestions are most welcome.

I've had my eye on the Intense Grip shoes, but only one LBS has them and they're quite pricey. Any suggestions along the lines of the Grip are preferable.

Thanks so far to those who've given their suggestions :)
  • 05-21-2004
    kpicha
    I'm using New Balance country walkers now and they're pretty sticky and they also have a reinforced toe area. On sale at REI now for $56 or thereabouts. I haven't tried skate shoes but just by looking at the gum soles, I didn't get the feeling they would be that much of an improvement over the country walkers but I could be wrong :).
  • 05-21-2004
    nmcculloch
    TImberland light hikers
    Before I went clipless, I used my Timberland light hikers.
  • 05-22-2004
    bill
    1 Attachment(s)
    I've been using Six Six One Duallies.....
    with very good results. They have a ribbed sole that engages the pins of the pedal (see photo) and I rarely slip off. My shins used to get pretty beatup until I got these, now they never do. They are rugedly built and I like the ankle protection. I feel that I lose very little efficiency with them over clipless. They are a little pricey at $80, but I think AXO makes an identical set for about $40.

bill
  • 05-22-2004
    kpicha
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bill
    with very good results. They have a ribbed sole that engages the pins of the pedal (see photo) and I rarely slip off. My shins used to get pretty beatup until I got these, now they never do. They are rugedly built and I like the ankle protection. I feel that I lose very little efficiency with them over clipless. They are a little pricey at $80, but I think AXO makes an identical set for about $40.

bill

Are they at all hot to wear during the summer? They sure look like they would be. I wonder if that's the same sole as the 661 Launch shoes.
  • 05-22-2004
    bill
    I never noticed that they were hot to wear in the summer. I do wear hikers year round so I'm used to the high top size. Don't know anything about the Launch shoes.

bill
  • 05-24-2004
    MountainManChrisDurand
    I wear a Vans Old School shoe, and have been for quite some years now.....I feel that they have just enough cushion for comfort and not to much cushion so you can feel the bike as your going along....... :)
  • 05-24-2004
    r1Gel
    running shoes?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Itripper
    I use good running shoes, they have really soft gooey treads and never slip off my pedals, and they absorb a lot of the small shocks. You have to have good pins in your platforms and you wont slip, my good platforms have removable kinda rough edged studs, I never slip off of these, and my other pair of platforms have molded in kinda rounded studs, those suck!

Wouldn't running shoes feel kinda flexy? I would think the flex would be apparent on longer rides, eventually causing some foot pain. Shouldn't biking shoes [for clipless pedals or not] be stiff?

In any case, what running shoes do you use?