Shoes that fit like Sidi Dominators, but hike-a-bikeable?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Shoes that fit like Sidi Dominators, but hike-a-bikeable?

I have a pair of Sidi Dominators that fit like a glove and are great while pedaling, but they're very tricky to walk in when you have to hike-a-bike.

I tried a pair of Shimano MT-51's, they're much more stable and have much better traction on the ground, but I get numb spots on my feet while pedaling. Can't dial in the fit like you can with the Sidi's either.

Any shoes have ratchet buckle closure like Sidi but not as sketchy when it's time to walk?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hi!

- I've never used SIDI's before (too expensive for me) but I'm using Pearl Izumi X-alps now and I'm very happy with them. Stiff enough for pedalling but pretty good at hike a bikes. The soles are very versatile IMO. If you want a ratchet system then you could check out the X-Alp PRO or the X-Alp Enduro models. I use the plain X-Alp. Very happy with them.

I normally use 46 size but I bought the 47 and it fits me well. I have wide feet by the way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I destroyed a new set of northwaves in a rocky hike a bike so I feel your pain.

nothing Ive tried truly fits like a sidi. DMT comes pretty close but I dont think they have anything with an all terrain sole. Try Lake, they are owned by the same company that owns SIDI. The sizing is a touch wider with a bigger toe box and taller arch support.

mtbr member
    i went through trying all the brands and damn those sidi's were soooo comfy. until i hiked a bike and returned them the same day!

I tried on the specy bg carbons and although the heel took a month or two to break in, liked them alot.

Gear Whore
    I am looking at the Lake MX190 or MX165...vibram outsoles great for hiking and I hear they are comfy too.

mtbr member

Time MXC

I used to ride with Sidi shoes and now have Time MXCshoes. They are a little tougher, easier to walk in, and way cheaper. Check them out http://www.mtbiking.ca/timeshoe.html

good ol dog dreams
    Apr 2004
    The Lake MX190 and 165 do have awesome Vibram soles but they don't have a very big toe box and are somewhat "pointy toed". I ordered some wides and they were too wide, traded them for some regulars and they were too narrow. Typically I wear the mega in SIDIs, regular in Specialized or Pearl Izumi. I wanted the Lakes to fit but just couldn't with the narrow toe box. Try before you buy!
    May try the Specialized Trails or Pearl Izumi X-alps but not sure if a LBS stocks either one.

Members who have read this thread: 0