which shoes do you use with CB Mallets?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

which shoes do you use with CB Mallets?

I have been switching pedals back and forth on the RFX. Trying to spend time on flats, but when I am going for longer trail rides I move the Shimano 959 from the Flux.

I have a pair of Mallets that had been designated for the RFX and I picked up a pair of 661 Dually SPD shoes but I can't seem to get them to work well together. I am using one plate under the cleats and I have removed the aluminum sides from the pedals. The shoes still drag a ton on the pedals and make it very hard to unclip quickly.

Has anyone tried this combo? Is it just a matter of working the cleats a bit? Any other shoe that works well with the Mallets?

Thanks!

parts leftover
    The Diadora Chili has no problems. I even changed the aluminum pedal plates to the slighter taller one in the rear in order to even touch the shoe. I have eggbeaters of various flavors on all of my bikes, and this shoe does really well with all of them.

trail fairy
    661 Launch best shoes Ive used on the RFX except for 510s

Am loving going big on Flats, flats are more fun, yes cliped still as advantages but Im getting better every ride on flats and minimising my weanknesses on hills and rough sections
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    sounds like yer lugs are too tall for the pedal. ive come accross some pedal/shoe combos that just dont play well together. sometimes ya just gotta take the new sneaks to the bench grinder or bust out the dremmel. use a sharpie to mark the area that needs the mod then go slow. remove a little at a time and keep testin it till it works. its not hard but its messy.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    sounds like yer lugs are too tall for the pedal. ive come accross some pedal/shoe combos that just dont play well together. sometimes ya just gotta take the new sneaks to the bench grinder or bust out the dremmel. use a sharpie to mark the area that needs the mod then go slow. remove a little at a time and keep testin it till it works. its not hard but its messy.
    But that's the thing that's weird. The Dually don't have any lugs, they are skate style shoes with a hole in the middle to put your cleats in. I just can't tell if the spacers under the cleats are not thick enough to push the shoes off the platform (but then why would you run Mallets over Eggbeaters or Candys?) or if it's just the cleats/spring that need to be broken in more. I wish the tension of the springs was adjustable like on Shimano pedals.

TA: I agree with you that flats are great for technical terrain/stunts I am trying to use them more and more and gaining confidence. On the other for trail duty, when I might pedal the RFX up and down for up to 5 hours, clipping in is just so much more efficient.

I'll take a look at the Diadora shoes, see if they work any better. I like the 661 because of all the padding in the right places. Maybe I can just try to make a thicker spacer.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    if its a ultra sticky sole, could it be draggin on the pedal? maybe its a stiffness thing where the shoe is bendin and the cleat doesnt have a chance to enguage. no way to tell without seein it really. hope ya get it figured out.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    CC has it spot on again the dually sole has a deep pocket for the cleats and even though it has no lugs it snags on the pedal platform. Have you tried the spacer plates that fit under the cleats yet? They help some but are not the full answer. I used to use this combo before I went back to flats for the Pack and the only answer is to dremel the sole until it releases clean. Grab a dually and clip it in by hand then take a look at where it snags as you try to release it and dremel away
    "We're here for a good time not a long time"
    Colin McRae 1968-2007

Members who have read this thread: 0