Shoes for commuting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Shoes for commuting

Hey all,

I need to pick up some new shoes for riding to work.

I use straps on my pedals and already have big feet so I need something with a thin stiff sole and minimal padding.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    beware of a thin sole as it will cause foot pain, especially in the arch. I commute with clipless pedals and shoes but that is because I have been on clipless pedals for 15+ years now and it feels funny w/o.

weirdo
    Do you have a specific problem with the shoes you wear now, or just wanting to try someting different for the heck of it? I used to use quill pedals with Powergrips on my commuter, but when I turned over commuting duties to my touring bike I left it with the pedals I had on that bike already- BMX pedals with a big flat platform and pins. I went to those for touring because I would develope foot pain after a long day in the saddle when I had cleated shoes and Candies. Both setups (Powergrips and BMX) are comfortable for me but the BMX pedals are a little quicker to get oriented and plant my feet.

On my roadie, I use quills with toeclips and straps and wear my mtb shoes cleats and all, just don`t have anything to clip them in to. I tried skateboard shoes, as recomended in a few threads, but they still leave my feet sore after a few hours, so I went even stiffer. The biggest problem with that setup is that the straps don`t grab well due to the kind of tapered shape of the shoes. Maybe the perfect solution is a pair of carbon soled Sidis, but I don`t have that kind of money to throw around experimenting.

No-Brakes Cougar
    I use BMX pedals w/pins like rodar. For shoes, I find the best thing for me is a brand called Rugged Outback that you can get at Payless shoes. The soles are semi-rigid, making them great for cycling but flexible enough that they are comfortable to walk in. They also have a lot of mess in the upper, allowing your feet to breath. They are inexpensive but well made and last a long time.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

weirdo
    I guess I got to blabbering away about pedals when I really intended to blabber about shoes. Sorry. My day-to-day shoes are fairly stiff soled tennis shoes and they work for short rides, but not stiff enough for me when it comes to long days. Maybe Gary`s Rugged Outbacks and don`t forget that you can always leave the cleats off a pair of cheap mtb shoes, or if you already have a pair with the cleats mounted, try them with your clips and straps.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    "Do you have a specific problem with the shoes you wear now, or just wanting to try someting different for the heck of it?"

I've been rocking some knock off birkenstock clogs, and they work well but are open in the back and I can't wear them at work.

My tennis shoes are either running shoes or Chucks neither of witch translate well to the bike.

most of the skate shoes are too big to fit in my straps.

ride the moment
    seems like either runners or chucks would be better than birks. +1 for bmx/downhill platforms. I ride around in cowboy boots on them and its fine.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The birks are pretty good, they are light with a stiff sole and fit the straps well.

The chucks are too soft and make my feet hurt, and the runners are too big for the straps.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Clipless Lake Sandals
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

Bedwards Of The West
    Man I want some clipless sandals. Keen makes some cool ones now too.

I commute in clipless shoes/pedals. I also commute in chamois-equipped shorts, a mtb jersey, and full fingered gloves, so it's no stretch to wear clipless shoes. I'm dressed for the trails when I ride to work. Sometimes after work I hit the trails. Nice to have the option.

It would be a brutal ride home for me without the clipless shoes. I stash good work shoes at work along with clothes. Totally worth it.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

tao
    succinct
    birks FTW
    plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    Man I want some clipless sandals. Keen makes some cool ones now too.

I commute in clipless shoes/pedals. I also commute in chamois-equipped shorts, a mtb jersey, and full fingered gloves, so it's no stretch to wear clipless shoes. I'm dressed for the trails when I ride to work. Sometimes after work I hit the trails. Nice to have the option.

It would be a brutal ride home for me without the clipless shoes. I stash good work shoes at work along with clothes. Totally worth it.
    The Lake sandals are the shiiiat. I even wear them in the Michigan winter.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    Riding clipless (Time ATAC Alium) on the road, I wear Shimano MT31s. Very stiff, but comfy. Even riding for 2+ hours, I don't feel the cleats at all. Running platforms off-road, I just use normal sneakers.

Members who have read this thread: 0