Shoes for clipless pedals?- Mtbr.com

Apr 2007

Shoes for clipless pedals?

My new bike came down with SPD clipless pedals. LBS offered to swap them for platforms, but I decided to go ahead and keep'em. I went out and bought a set of Pearl Izumi SPD shoes. PI Shoes come in Metric sizes. I wear a 12 B in US sizes. I used PI's conversion chart and bought a 46, which equates to a 12.5 medium width US.

I find that the shoes fit length-wise, but are fairly snug around the arch/mid-section. Being narrow, I was afraid that these shoes would be too big. They are actually comfortable, yet pretty snug around the middle.

My question is: Is this normal? Do you want a MTB shoe to fit pretty tight?

Jan 2004
    Snug yes, tight not necessarily.

Apr 2007
    I wore them around the house for about an hour last night and decided that they will work just fine. I think that if they were any looser, they would be harder to release from the pedals.

Thanks for your input

BayouBQ

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Sounds like the shoes fit....

perfectly. I have narrow feet as well, 12 B. Over the years I've found that Pearl and Specialized make shoes that work well for narrow feet. Anyway, sounds like your shoes fit as they should. You want the snug around the arch, instep and heel, and with a bit of wiggle room in the toe box. The arch and instep area stabilize the whole foot inside the shoe so it should be snug. The heel of the foot shouldn't slip. And the toes should have a bit of room to wiggle to keep circulation going. Sounds like your in business.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Dec 2006
    I have a pair of Specialized shoes now for my SPD clips...but just ordered a cool pair of Adidas (I have always been an Adidas shoe wearer for regular shoes) so can't wait to style um' on the trail!

...the wave won't brek
    Be Prepared the rigors of Mountain Biking will cause the shoes to stretch some
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

Members who have read this thread: 0