Shoes to buy when riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Shoes to buy when riding

So right now I'm rocking some old school addidas shell toe shoes when riding. And we all know how the support is non existent in those shoes. I'm pretty new to riding and was wondering what the majority is out there on a good riding shoe? Do I need to go to Amazon or r.e.i. to buy some shoes? What's a good brand of shoe that has support for riders? Non clip in of course.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Mtbr.com Forums

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Really only two answers so far. Five 10 Freerider, Pro or Contact, and Adidas Outdoor Terrex Trail Cross SL.

Giro, Shimano, Bontrager/Trek, and Specialized make shoes also, but not as generally well liked.

All pretty spendy and rarely on sale.

Understand that these are for platform flat pedals with pins. They have flat soles with "Stealth" rubber (proprietary to Adidas 5.10) that seems to really grip pedals and pins better than anything else. They also have varying degrees of stiff soles for power transmission to the pedals, and stoutish toe boxes to protect your tootsies.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    For those 5.10's do they normal run around 120 or so for a pair

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Mtbr.com Forums

mtbr member
    Whatever feels comfortable...

I too have been running 5-10's for the last 12+ months.

Went out for a ride on Tuesday evening & I forgot to put my 5-10's back in the car.

Luckily, an old pair of Nike cross trainers - were lying in the back.

Funnily enough, they gripped better than my 5-10's & were more comfortable to ride in.

With the 5-10's, I've paid for durability & extra protection i.e. my soft, flexy Nike's would have offered minimal protection for my toes... if they had come into contact with hard, pokey up things (rocks/roots).

After my 5-10's give up the ghost I'll likely try a different brand of flat shoes (nb, have a friend whose 5-10's only lasted 8 months before the sole split... He rides flats exclusively, while I bounce between flats & clipless).

I may even just go for an - out doorsie style shoe ^^

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Things I look for in a flat pedal shoe:

Fit my feet well and comfortably.
    Flat, reasonably grippy sole.
    Sole stiff enough to be comfortable on the pedal but not so stiff I can't feel my location on the pedal.
    Solid, sturdy and good toe protection.

I've gone through a number of 5-10 and Shimano models. Currently I like the Shimano GR7.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Get a pair of Van's "Atwood" style skate shoe for a cheap backup shoe. Size is true to fit for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I ride in Adidas's Stealth rubber versions, but in the past, i've had good luck with multiple approach shoes. Just pick one that's reasonably stiff with a low profile tread pattern.

I don't love the fit of 5:10s, and I spend a decent amount of time off the bike on a lot of my rides doing light trail work, so an approach shoe really hits the sweetspot for me in terms of stickiness/support/offbike ability.