Shoes - Which are the best- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Shoes - Which are the best

Yeah I know thatís subjective question but what is a good mid level shoe.

I'm going clipless and as I ride more aggressively I want a shoe that will be good for me in 6-8 months. This way I don't have to upgrade later.

Any Ideas.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    No 'best' as such.
    But Sidi are pretty muych as good as they get. But thats out of your and my price range.
    I am currently using The shimano 180's, they are good, but quite racey.
    I would reccomend you go into a store and just try on all the shoes, get what fits best. All brands fit differently.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Ditto. Try several brands on for at least 10 min per pair late in the day. That's when your feet are largest. I spent some time at Perfomance and REI doing this.
    Different brands also vary quite a bit in comfort. I used to be able to wear Shimano 48s but now they don't come close to fitting. I tried the 180s. Wish they fit. Used the Lake's for a couple years now just got a pair of Sidi's. (on sale at Jenson now).
    Also consider what your riding style is going to be. Will you be hike a biking? Then more flex in the sole will be a consideration vs a non-flexing sole.

Werner
    Don't harsh my mello

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Shimano

Agree with the prev posts that Shimano makes a good shoe for the money. I'd spend around $100-150, even if you're an occassional rider but enjoy the benefits of clipless spd pedals. You'll be glad you have the stiffer soles of these expert level shoes- better power transfer therefore more efficient.

With that said, make sure whatever brand you end up with is comfortable with a snug fit. The other thing i like is convenience in lacing up the shoe. My Shimano 152's have 3 velcro straps- perfect. Prev Diadora Gecko (suck) had laces and velcro- overkill and a pain, plus the cleat nut snapped and could not replace it.

For my next shoe I'd like to try Sidi's.
    Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004

Sidi all the way...

Sidi Dominators are the ultimate, but spendy @ $210. The Rockets will get you 80-90% of that Sidi goodness for a paltry $140. I've been using Dominators since their very first incarnation, been using Sidi's on the road since the Hawaii (predecessor to the Genuis) was at the top of the heap. Won't even think of riding anything else. Tough yet comfortable shoes. Lorica is an amazing material, looks and feels just like leather but it never stretches. One caveat though; avoid the SRS (sole replacement system) versions like the plague! Those things suck. You pay more for a sole that wears out WAY too fast, then you have to pony up $45 to replace them. Major suckage! The standard soles have great traction as is, thank you very much.

-Eric
    Last edited by supercorsa; 08-09-2004 at 06:20 PM.
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by supercorsa
    Sidi Dominators are the ultimate, but spendy @ $210. The Rockets will get you 80-90% of that Sidi goodness for a paltry $140. I've been using Dominators since their very first incarnation, been using Sidi's on the road since the Hawaii (predecessor to the Genuis) was at the top of the heap. Won't even think of riding anything else. Tough yet comfortable shoes. Lorica is an amazing material, looks and feels just like leather but it never stretches. One caveat though; avoid the SRS (sole replacement series) versions like the plague! Those things suck. You pay more for a sole that wears out WAY too fast, then you have to pony up $45 to replace them. Major suckage! The standard soles hold up just fine, thank you very much.

-Eric

Do you know if Sidi runs narrow? or small for the size?

Obvisouly, I can get the shoes for much less on-line and I don't want to play the local shop into thinking I'm going to buy them after I try on multiple shoes.

Jun 2004

ebay

Quote Originally Posted by dag560

Obvisouly, I can get the shoes for much less on-line and I don't want to play the local shop into thinking I'm going to buy them after I try on multiple shoes.
    On ebay, every week there are new police mtn biking shoes by SIDI. I bought a pair. They seem a trifle longer than my other 46 shoes. There are no vents, but have velcro covering the laces. They work well for hike/bikes. Oh, yeah, they ran me about 40 bucks shipping included. Would definitely order another pair.

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dag560

For normal footwear I wear a standard width 8 1/2, standard last Sidi's in a euro size 42 fit me like a glove. Check Excelsports online sizing chart, works great for both me and my wife.

http://www.excelsports.com/info.asp?page=8

-Eric
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

Jul 2004
    Love my Specialized Comps. They are very comfortable and picked them off for 100 bucks.
    I like their Body Geometry that they have worked on. The insole is wonderful.
    Recommended!

born to chill
    This is completely against the status quo, but I'd recommend these: https://www.danscomp.com/cgi-bin/haz...IL&item=727047 if you still want to keep some dignity. IMHO

I am not a fan of the cleat looking/lycra clad rider style shoes (no offense meant to anyone of couse) that's just me.
    -flow
    FATRAC - Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Coalition - Member
    My personal site - Living single, seeing double, jumping triples

Trail rider and racer
    I've had 3 pairs of shoes, and have two currently.

Top of the line shimanos - Hated them, heavy, made my toes go numb, too big for a 45.
    Bottom of the line lace up shimanos - Good comfortable shoe, not too super stiff but great for casual riding, or when its super cold (I find them nice and warm)

My favorite however are Sidis. Fit is spot on, comfort is great, not too heavy, not too big in size, and not too wide. Very subjective I know but I love mine. Very durable, and clean up as new unlike my shimanos which didn't make it all the way through winter when I started riding.

I liked my Sidi Eagle 4s so much that I picked up a pair of Ergo 1s for my road bike and totally love them to such an extent I wish you could get em for the MTB.

Check ebay for SIDI Dominators, Dragons etc price will be great otherwise check totalcycling.com for good prices too.

If you have small feet or really big (size 52) check the womens board as there were Dominators for sale for $69 which is a give away.

Be sure to try the shoes on if you can, some really vary in size.
    Trev!

Apr 2004
    i agree with what alot of people have to say here about shoe is basically prefrence. But the only thing that i think is a must have is if your getting laced shoes (i like them that is what i wear) make sure they have a velcro to tie the laces down w/.

just my .02

sho