Shoes for Adventure/Endurance Racing- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Shoes for Adventure/Endurance Racing

I am looking for a MTB shoe that will hold up to adventure race hike-a-bike sections but also that has a stiff sole like a good performance MTB shoe. Anything like this out there that you use or know of? I have seen the Shimano M-058 at Jenson USA.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=SH706B02
    I see it has a rubber sole but I think it may be a little too flexy. I currently have Answer Accelerator shoes and I like them as a MTB shoe, but the 45 minute hike-a-bike section up Mt Snow VT in them last year got me thinking about new shoes.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DCepp
    I am looking for a MTB shoe that will hold up to adventure race hike-a-bike sections but also that has a stiff sole like a good performance MTB shoe. Anything like this out there that you use or know of? I have seen the Shimano M-058 at Jenson USA.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=SH706B02
    I see it has a rubber sole but I think it may be a little too flexy. I currently have Answer Accelerator shoes and I like them as a MTB shoe, but the 45 minute hike-a-bike section up Mt Snow VT in them last year got me thinking about new shoes.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    I just ordered the Sidi Dragon SRS shoes. I have a pair of their Genius 4 road shoes and love them.
    SIDI USA

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GonzoKY
    I just ordered the Sidi Dragon SRS shoes. I have a pair of their Genius 4 road shoes and love them.
    SIDI USA
    WHOA! Holy smokes, did you mortgage your house for those! Nice shoes, but they are out of my price range. They don't seem to be a MTB/hike friendly shoe, but I have only heard good things about Sidi. Ok, anybody know of a good sub $100 shoe?

Jan 2004

All Sidi MTB shoes are great.

I have a few pairs of Sidi Rampas that have been really good in Adventure Races. They are comfortable and I have walked many miles in them. Be sure to get them slightly larger if you are planning on long races where your feet might swell up a bit. Also the slightly larger sizing will allow you to wear thicker socks which make the long Hike-a-Bike sections much nicer...

Be aware that they only have two velcro straps (which makes for faster transitions in a sprint race) so you can't crank them down as tight as the higher performance models like the Dominator or Dragon.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DCepp
    WHOA! Holy smokes, did you mortgage your house for those! Nice shoes, but they are out of my price range. They don't seem to be a MTB/hike friendly shoe, but I have only heard good things about Sidi. Ok, anybody know of a good sub $100 shoe?

Look at new Lake shoes: MX155 ($90 MSRP) and at MX255($130 MSRP) with Vibram sole. MX160, MX220 and MX303 have the same sole.

Quite better for frequent hike-a-bike sections then SIDI or top Shimano. Sometimes can be found with good discount and do have half-sizes, unlike some other cheaper shoes.
    Of course not as slick and comfy and light.

On a few races I looked with pity at guys in Sidi's. Not what you want to wear when pushing your bike uphill for 2000ft elevation gain over crappy loose crap - almost no freaking trail.

I also had good experience with Adidas El Moro (~$80), though it is less technical. Bought mine for like $30.

Feb 2004

shoes

one thing you might want to consider if you aren't doing it already - shoe inserts. I use superfeet and they make a huge difference. standard off the shelf versions in my mtb shoes (~$30) and custom in the road shoes (~$65). There are several other brands that also look good, but superfeet are widely available.

I would go so far as to say that dollar for dollar, buying a cheaper shoe then putting in an insert will give you more comfort than a top of the line shoe without the insert, at a lower total price. just make sure you have the inserts when you try on new shoes.

good luck.
    Karl

Feb 2004

Good job! Shoes...

Shimano SH-M 221's work exceptionally well for me.