Shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Shoes

Jan 2005

Shoes

I'm in the process of buying a (new to me) new bike. Its a 2000 Rocky Mountain Elelment T.O., but thats not important. I need some new shoes because I havent ridden an MTB with clip-ins for years and my feet have grown. The bike has some time pedals, and I'm just looking for reccomendations. I'm going to go places and try shoes on before I buy anything (obviously...fit is important), but if anybody has some input, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Jan 2005
    36 views and no love? Come on now....

Jan 2005
    My wife just bought me some of the '05 Specialized Comp MTB shoes for our anniversary, and I really like them. It looks like the only thing that might fail on them is the top strap...it's a buckle/ratchet system instead of just plain ol' velcro. But, Spec. sells the buckles in case it breaks.

Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrash
    My wife just bought me some of the '05 Specialized Comp MTB shoes for our anniversary, and I really like them. It looks like the only thing that might fail on them is the top strap...it's a buckle/ratchet system instead of just plain ol' velcro. But, Spec. sells the buckles in case it breaks.
    I remember hearing that Specialized makes good apparel. I got a pair of their sunglasses for christmas and have been pleased.

Thanks man.

Jan 2005
    Don't know if you're looking for this style, but I have the "skate style" shoes from 661, and they're great. Stiff enough, and comfortable, and you can walk in them reasonably well like normal shoes.

Nov 2004

Shoes

The most important thing to remember when buying shoes is; fit is everything. It does not matter what the sole is made out of, it does not matter what color they are, it does not matter the brand name the have on the side. If they do not fit YOU well and feel good on YOUR feet, you will not be happy.

You are on the right track, go try them on. Try Carnac, Diadora, Shimano, Sidi, Specialized and any others you can find. Then buy the ones that feel the best.

Personally, I am a Sidi man. I wore a few pair of Nike's back in the mid 90's. Then a pair of Specialized. Then I had Shimano, both road and MTB in the late 90's and early 00's. I needed new shoes, for both road and MTB, so I searched and tried on all of the above, and probably then some. I discoverd Sidi. For me, the fit was spot on, like putting my foot into a slipper. I doubt I will ever ride another brand.

Ian

Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FLrider
    The most important thing to remember when buying shoes is; fit is everything. It does not matter what the sole is made out of, it does not matter what color they are, it does not matter the brand name the have on the side. If they do not fit YOU well and feel good on YOUR feet, you will not be happy.

You are on the right track, go try them on. Try Carnac, Diadora, Shimano, Sidi, Specialized and any others you can find. Then buy the ones that feel the best.

Personally, I am a Sidi man. I wore a few pair of Nike's back in the mid 90's. Then a pair of Specialized. Then I had Shimano, both road and MTB in the late 90's and early 00's. I needed new shoes, for both road and MTB, so I searched and tried on all of the above, and probably then some. I discoverd Sidi. For me, the fit was spot on, like putting my foot into a slipper. I doubt I will ever ride another brand.

Ian
    My shimano road shoes were like that...I'm going to go out tomorrow and try a few on. Thanks.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus

Lake

Quote Originally Posted by ValveFloat
    I'm in the process of buying a (new to me) new bike. Its a 2000 Rocky Mountain Elelment T.O., but thats not important. I need some new shoes because I havent ridden an MTB with clip-ins for years and my feet have grown. The bike has some time pedals, and I'm just looking for reccomendations. I'm going to go places and try shoes on before I buy anything (obviously...fit is important), but if anybody has some input, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
    I went through 5 pairs of shoes my first year of biking since I have a REAL tough time finding shoes, biking or otherwise, that work....I had extensive reconstructive surgery on both feet which explains that. Regardless, once I found Lake I never turned back. Not only are they perfect for me, but they can almost always be found on sale at nasbhar or performancebike. I use the Lake MX-220 Extreme.

And by the way, I use them on an Element too

Cheers

Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    I went through 5 pairs of shoes my first year of biking since I have a REAL tough time finding shoes, biking or otherwise, that work....I had extensive reconstructive surgery on both feet which explains that. Regardless, once I found Lake I never turned back. Not only are they perfect for me, but they can almost always be found on sale at nasbhar or performancebike. I use the Lake MX-220 Extreme.

And by the way, I use them on an Element too

Cheers

It would be nice if there was a place locally to try on a pair of Lake's....hmm.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    It would be nice if there was a place locally to try on a pair of Lake's....hmm.
    yeah...I can appreciate that for sure. I gambled but it worked out. In fact, I just ordered my first road bike yesterday and ordered the Lake CX-220 wide shoes which are the same shoe as what I use for mountain biking but in a road version so I am pretty happy about that....but I do understand the preference to try on shoes. For what it is worth, one of the 5 shoes I tried was the SIDI Dominator 4 Mega and I HATED IT. It did not feel robust at all and the buckles mechanism was a joke for me but I am sure it works for some people. I like the Lakes because they keep it simple.....in addition to the velcro straps, you have actual shoelaces underneath the leather tongue. This is great for me since it becomes very easy to put consistent pressure and spread it out across the whole foot. While some people would whine about this additional task to put on shoes, I welcome it.

and since you mentioned the Element, I couldn't resist adding a picture since I love the bike!

Cheers and good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Weight

Thanks
    My $0.02 is that you need to decide before you go shopping how important weight is to you. Lightweight racing shoes are expensive for the good ones. On the other hand, you can get some pretty durable, good fitting shoes for less money, but they tend to be heavy.

I don't race, and have a relatively high arch. The Shimano M037 have worked really well for me.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Shoes/product_86574.shtml

Walt

zeebot
    I like the specialized shoes. great traction, good protection, and if you stay away from their new high-end carbon soled versions you will get out spending 100 or less.

I've only used sidi's besides the few pairs of specalized. I strongly recommend not even bothering with sidi's. they are very comfortable but if you ever plan on walking on the trail(especially up) or on anything besides nice and tacky dirt you will risk breaking your ankles due to cheap, plastic tread that grips hardly any surface. they are also extremely over-priced.

many here will disagree with how I feel about Sidi's but I feel they either haven't tried another brand or they are trying to justify the 200 dollars they wasted on an average shoe. My two friends that also had a pair shelved them after less than a few months of use and picked up different brands. one went to specialized, like mine, and was very pleased with how much nicer they were.

Jun 2004

I like my 661s

I took a gamble on a pair of 661 Attacks. I was looking to get my first pair of clipless shoes and when I saw them on clearance at REI for $40, I figured why not.

I have pretty wide feet, so that was usally a problem, but the 661s have fit great. I tried on the Sidi Dominator 4 Mega, but I just couldn't justify spending $220 on a pair of biking shoes. And I looked at the Lakes online, but I couldn't find any place to try them on.

Jan 2005
    I went and tried some shoes on tonight, and the second one I put my foot in won me over. Super comfy. Hopefully I'll get to go ride on Saturday. I went with the Specialized Comps....the black and silver ones.