Shoes: 661 Filter, anyone running cleats?- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew

Shoes: 661 Filter, anyone running cleats?

Just got 'em while out on BCT and not certain how to put cleats into them without destroying the shoe.

The footbed is glued to the bottom of the shoe. I see a couple slits in the leather bottom under the footbed but no hole(s). The sole shows a shape of where the cutout should be but it's not cutout.

Any step by step out there?

Thanks,

Alive and Lurkin'
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    Just got 'em while out on BCT and not certain how to put cleats into them without destroying the shoe.

The footbed is glued to the bottom of the shoe. I see a couple slits in the leather bottom under the footbed but no hole(s). The sole shows a shape of where the cutout should be but it's not cutout.

Any step by step out there?

Thanks,
    I have had a few pairs of these. You have cut out the spd cleat area. This shouldn't be too difficult, the spd cut out area is only solidly attached at a few points around the perimeter of the ovalish shape.

Didn't they come with directions? Had to ask...
    Pumpin & Pimpin

No Clue Crew
    No, surprisingly they didn't come with directions. My only other experience is with "normal" shoes where you have to attach a bracket from the inside and screw the cleat through. Does not appear as though the bracket it accessible from inside the shoe. I'll pull that section off after I wear 'em around the house for a few to ensure they are moderately comfortable.

mtbr member
    Send them back. They are defective...

suvlako
    Shimano MP66. These are the ticket if you want a sneaker with rigid sole and SPD compatibility.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by suvlako
    Shimano MP66. These are the ticket if you want a sneaker with rigid sole and SPD compatibility.
    I really don't like the rigid sole but I guess I always assumed if you want a cleat you gotta have plywood-soled shoes to have 'em.

I bought a pair of MP32s first. They were less than half the price of the Filters but they were too narrow and I didn't feel like ordering another pair from the same manufacturer only to have them be too narrow as well. That's when I decided on the Filters.

I like 'em. Wore them around the house to make sure they were remotely comfortable. Got that section of rubber off the sole without much trouble and screwed the cleats in.

I like the fact that the cleat is below the level of the rubber so you can walk without hitting cleat with every step. I believe that and the tightness of the cutout in relation to the cleat makes it a little more difficult to unclip. I sense some pain coming as I adjust to getting out of the new shoes.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    I really don't like the rigid sole(
    My Diadora's have an extremely rigid sole, while it stinks for hike'a'bike it rocks for pedaling.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    My Diadora's have an extremely rigid sole, while it stinks for hike'a'bike it rocks for pedaling.
    I've never really wondered if it actually helps pedaling. I just assumed it needed to be rigid for holding the cleat in place.

No Clue Crew
    Definitely recommend these shoes. Comfy and solid.

The cleat is level with or beneath the surface of the rubber sole so they are a little more difficult to get clipped into and out of but definitely a good shoe. By no means is it PitA difficult, just harder than your standard SPD shoe where the cleat is typically above the surface of the sole.

Members who have read this thread: 0