Shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Shoes

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Shoes

Not too long ago I was one of those guys who believed that tight biking clothes were the root of all evil. As I got more serious about racing, i gave in and got the tight weenie clothes (love them ) but my shoes are crap. I have 661 Filter shoes (only got them because they looked like regular sneakers). They're heavy, and should I ever have to walk my bike, they have no grip, so I slip, sometimes fall, loose time, and exert extra energy. What shoes do you guys use, and what are some race friendly shoes for around $100?

mtbr member
    I've always liked Shimano, but have moved my preference towards Specialized shoes recently (I've had probably 4-5 pairs of Shimano and 2 pairs of Specialized over many years of riding). I also like Lake which can be OK for a reasonable budget. Best advice is to try some on - I've found all cycling shoes massively vary in fit. For example, Italian styled brands of shoes can be very small sized. Look for a nice stiff, light shoe with at least three straps. Some of the extras like the 'buckles' are nice to have but not always necessary. As the price increases, you tend to find 'better' materials, 'better' features - but I wouldn't always equate these 'better' aspects to improved riding. Hope my thoughts help.

mtbr member
    Check out the Sette shoes on PricePoint. I have heard a lot of positive responses and they are pretty cheap.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Sidi are my favorite, but not cheap. Specialized hold up really well, but don't really happen to fit my foot right (too wide).
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly hardtail
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel SI 4
    Cervelo R3
    Specialized Crux Elite

mtbr member
    May 2007
    No dissrespect for the on-line vendors here, but you are better off trying on shoes before you buy.
    My Specialized wear like iron, and my PearlIzumi's fit nice....but are wearing out quickly.
    Addicted to the dirt......with no hope for recovery.

mtbr member
    I had the same sixsixone shoes you do. They suck, big time. I ran platforms for years in those shoes before I clipped in, and now I only use platforms for DH.

If you want good shoes for riding platforms, FiveTen Impacts with the stealth rubber is about as good as it gets. A million times better than the Filters, stick to platforms like glue.

Most of the time though I wear Shimano MO76s, theyre kind of tight on me(I have wide feet), but are relatively cheap and very durable with good grip if you need to hike a bike. I use Time Atac Alium pedals too. Cheap, bombproof, and very easy to clip in and clip out.

Members who have read this thread: 0