shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: shoes

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

shoes

Looking to get some shoes to help keep my feet on the pedals. I'm used to toeclips/straps on my road bike but I'm thinking of going w/cleats for my mtb. If I do that I'll probably just buy a second pair of pedals for my road bike and do away w/the toeclips. Can you use the same shoe for mtb and road? I don't really want a mtb shoe when I'm on my road bike but is it feasible to ride mtb w/road shoes? Does anyone make a shoe for both? Any recommendations for a decent shoe that won't break the bank? Thanks again.

Steve

mtbr member
    As long as you buy mountain bike pedals for both bikes, you can use an mtb shoe no problem on both.

I would not try to ride road pedals on a mountain bike. They don't work very well with mud and dirt in them or on the cleat of the shoe, and the shoes themselves don't have the traction/grip you need for walking in dirt, which you do a lot as an mtb'er. I can barely walk on the road in my road shoes.

I have a pair of Pearl Izumi shoes that I bought when I first started riding, and was in your situation. I paid about $50 for them, they have three velcro straps, look like a road shoe, but have traction and cleat interface of a mountain shoe. It was a great compromise at the time.
    :wq

mtbr member
    I use the same Shimano SPD pedals and shoes on my MTB and Road bike, I just switch the pedals between them. No real need to have 2 sets of pedals and a pair of shoes.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That idea didn't cross my mind. Something to consider. It's nothing to taking pedals off/on. What shoes do you wear? Thanks.

Steve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tkerr
    That idea didn't cross my mind. Something to consider. It's nothing to taking pedals off/on. What shoes do you wear? Thanks.

Steve
    I have 2 pairs of shoes actually. I have a pair of Sette Excel Shoes which are just clipless shoes. I also have a pair of Sette Enduro Shoes which are for platforms and clipless.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Switching pedals between bikes all the time would be a pain in the ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    Actually it takes me less than a minute with a pedal wrench.

Just make sure you aren't going so fast your cross thread them and use grease every few changes.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Most of the guys I know that only ride road use spd anyway so no problems. The type of shoe is personal preference. The prices are much cheaper online, but I highly recommend trying them on. If they aren't comfortable in the store they won't be on the trail or road. Personally I don't like specialized because they make the outside of my foot fall asleep. I do like shimano, and sidi. I have not tried the new bontrager shoes, but they are supposed to be really nice. If you decide to get them online, make sure you can send them back with free shipping if they don't fit well.

And in case you were wondering I use Time atac pedals right now.

meow meow
    it only takes like a minute, but speaking of shoes, does anyone have any recomendations for a first time clipless shoe for me. im 150 pounds and have egg beater c's.

mtbr member
    I know how long it takes to switch a pedal. Still a PITA. When I want to ride I'm ready to roll. It's worth it to me to have a dedicated set of pedals on my road bike. Actually I have a dedicated set of pedals on all three of my bikes

mtbr member
    I know how long it takes to switch a pedal. Still a PITA. When I want to ride I'm ready to roll. It's worth it to me to have a dedicated set of pedals on my road bike. Actually I have a dedicated set of pedals on all three of my bikes
    I could see doing it only if I had dedicated pedals. Like if I had Road Pedals and Road Shoes. But I just have MTB Pedals and MTB Shoes so I just switch them around. Now I ride platforms on my MTB so clipless is all for the road.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

responsible zombie owner
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    it only takes like a minute, but speaking of shoes, does anyone have any recomendations for a first time clipless shoe for me. im 150 pounds and have egg beater c's.
    I went with Sette Elements, at $50 they're a bargain. I use them with Eggbeaters, Smartys and Mallets and not had to trim the tread either (just used one of the CB plastic shims, but since changing the cleats don't even have to do that).

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've seen a fair number of serious rider / commuters running clipless pedals and wearing mtn bike shoes. Makes a lot of sense to me. Bike shoes are expensive, and road bike specific shoes can be a nuisance - slick bottoms, can't walk well in 'em. In an urban situation where you have traffic, stop signs, traffic lights, being able to unclip and put your foot down without worrying about slipping is a good idea.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Why are you leaning towards road shoes as the only choice? If you ride with the lycra brigade I would imagine your kudos will dip, but other than that?

As has been said road shoes on a mtb will be worse than useless the first time you have to walk up a muddy hill. MTB shoes on the road will work fine, and some of the more race oriented mtb shoes won't look much different except the sole.

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatarbhoy
    I went with Sette Elements, at $50 they're a bargain. I use them with Eggbeaters, Smartys and Mallets and not had to trim the tread either (just used one of the CB plastic shims, but since changing the cleats don't even have to do that).
    what size are you in a running shoe and what size did you order? i hear they run a little crazy when you size them.

mtbr member
    vtolds,

I'm looking to buy the sette element shoes. I wear size 10 us for sneakers. which size would you recommend for the sette shoes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    vtolds,

I'm looking to buy the sette element shoes. I wear size 10 us for sneakers. which size would you recommend for the sette shoes?
    I wear a 9.5 in the US it comes out to 43 Euro on there chart and the shoes fit me the same as my normal shoes.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    so is size 10 us a 43 or44 eur?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Size 10US = Size 9 UK = 43 Euro

Different manufacturers seem to size differently. I wear shimano and they seem the same size as my running shoes. I hear Italian shoes come up a bit small (and quite narrow).

Whatever you get you will feel thay are a little tight when you get them. Remember they aren't the same as 'normal' shoes. You don't put your full weight on them as you would while running so your feet won't 'spread' as much. Also the whole point is to minimize movement between your heel (the bottom of your leg where the power goes) and the pedal. The more comfort (movement) you have the less efficient they are . (Obviously there is a cut off, and numb feet aren't nice - being able to move your toes will also help prevent cold feet by keeping the blood moving)

The stiff soles mean that power transfer between your heel and the ball of your foot (where your press down on the pedal) is maximized. If you use soft shoes you are using purely muscular power to keep your foot at 90 degrees which is fatiguing. The stiffer the shoe the less effort you put in keeping your foot flat. In road shoes they do this as much as possible and they are all almost entirely rigid with no flex. This will also mean you walk like a penguin on ice while off the bike - not an issue on the road. MTB shoes will have some flex (as well as grip) allowing you to walk. The amount varies from almost road like carbon racing shoes to basically hiking boots with spd cleats; you decide what you need.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Good job! Carnac UCS Shoe Inserts Tahoe

There is quite a bit of good information on these posts. In particular I need to find out if anyone knows where to get UCS No. 23 or No. 24 shoe inserts for my Carnac Tahoe mountain bike shoes? They are necessary to mount my SPD cleats. I hear they also work with Time cleats. My shoes are useless without them. They are in new condition but can only be ridden with flats without the inserts.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Suggestions of a source for these older pre-2000 Carnac parts? The parts I'm looking for are the old UCS insert system. Post any links that might help. I have a pdf with a picture of my shoes.
    Thanks in advance!!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by winsail; 11-19-2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: add title

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    what size are you in a running shoe and what size did you order? i hear they run a little crazy when you size them.
    I also have the Sette Elements. I usually wear a 12 in "normal" shoes (sometimes 11.5) and the 46 fits me perfect.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Carnac Distributor USA inserts

I found a connection to get the inserts for my new, old Carnac Tahoe MTB shoes. Sinclair Imports is the new Distributor for Carnac in the USA based out of Reno, NV Their number is 800-654-8052. Ask for Mark de Fabry. Good luck

Members who have read this thread: 0