Shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Shoes

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Shoes

I am trying to save some money by purchasing my MTB shoes on Ebay. The problem is most of the ones in my size range (mens 7-7.5) are either too expensive or made for women.

Are most of the cycling shoes unisex? I would hate to buy a female shoe if they are truely gender specific.

mtbr member
    Not sure but I would imagine that woman's shoe are going to either be more narrow then a man's shoe and/or it's going to look like a woman's shoe Maybe the narrow issue won't be a problem for you though. Have you looked on price point . com? They have some shoes on there at decent prices, not sure about the sizes though.

mtbr member
    Gender specific shoes (and bike geometry) is a fad. Pure marketing. Marketers reflect in their advertisement what women would like to look like. When it comes to product specifications they go by the statistics. And statistics show that male and female bodies aren't that different when it comes down to proportional length of extremeties. There are just as many long legged males as females, just as many slender feet males as females etc. But it is way easier to sell somebody a product that reinforces their dreams.

Your real problem is going to be fit. Going by the posted size is too simplistic. Every mannfacturer has a different interpretation of the exact shape of the standard foot at any given size. Check out a bike shop and try a few shoes. You'll see - a feel - what I am writing about. Some shoes will fit you at size 7, some at 7.5 and some will simply feel wrong.

Recommendation: Find a few shoes that fit by browsing bike shops. If you hit on a real bargain, buy at the shop. Otherwise take the list of shoes you would consider to ebay and the usual low price internet retailers.

Don't worry if it is a women shoe. Unless the design turns you off you are good.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah, I was thinking that too. I have a wide but small foot so I would wonder if a wide women's would be too small. I can fit into the Clark's Womens (premature baby feet)

I've seen some women shoes online that look generic.

I've looked at Pricepoint, but I am wanting to purchase used shoes for pretty cheap. I am just starting to think about going clipless and don't want to waste alot of money if it doesnt workout! :-)

Extra Crispy
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaRN
    I am just starting to think about going clipless and don't want to waste alot of money if it doesnt workout! :-)
    I thought the same when I bought my clipless stuff. I wish I would've gone with straight Eggbeaters instead of Candys, and wish I would've spent more on shoes to get a better closure system.

I guess what I'm saying is go clipless and don't look back if you ride XC or AM. I didn't and it's been gravy.

mtbr member
    Many shoes have replaceable cleat area covers. The covers are fastened by screws, the bolt holes for the cleats are under the cover. You can take off the cover, fix cleats and give it a try. In case the clipless thing doesn't work out you can take the cleats off and put the covers back on. You still have a cycling shoe with a stiff sole (reduces fatigue) and great grip on the pedal.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    how wide are your feet exactly? I had that same issue and was suggested lake mx165 wide shoes by another member here. I tried them out and bought them on monday along with some shimano m520s (based on literally everyone I talked to's recommendation) and I couldn't be happier with how my shoes fit or how the pedals work. granted, I've only had them for a few days but I had the shoes on for a couple hours straight the day after I got them and was expecting at least a little pain, even if it was only break in pain, and none came. completely impressed me. in normal shoes I wear a 4e width.

mtbr member
    Lake shoes are highly recommended in the clyde section since they tend to be roomier than other brands which goes to support some of what Klaus was saying, a size X in this brand may not fit the same as the same size in another brand.

mtbr member
    Price point has what looks like all there shoes on sale right now. You would be a size 40 Euro which is how they list sizes. I use these shoes http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/141...-MTB-Shoes.htm for 30 bucks, they are pretty good. They also have a combo deal if you dont already have pedals http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...8&hprice=54.98
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Members who have read this thread: 0