Shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Shoes

Single Speed Junkie

Shoes

After over a decade my cycling shoes (SIDI) are considering retirement. Even in this poor economy and with their 401K in the crapper, they decided due to health reasons (a broken sole) that it is time. I will miss them dearly. Even though they are not yet cold in the grave I must consider replacing them. Since I'm on a 29er SS the new pair will not be treated with caring love and attention, yet abused worse than a red headed stepchild. Trails here are a mix of sand or rock with a stream crossing every now and again.

Could some one please recommend a new pair of shoes for adoption.

(Oops some how double posted. Mod please delete if possible)
    Last edited by crux; 07-24-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Spud State Rider
    I have been mistreating these from exustar for well over a year now and they are holding up nicely...comfy as well.

http://www.exustar.com/sm312.php

Think I picked them up for about $80 at nashbar.

Bodhisattva
    how about another pair of Sidi's?

Category Winner
    These shoes are durable, cheap, and good for semi-sexy nights out on the town.

https://teamdicky.blogspot.com/2009/...g-reviews.html

A little heavy for racer types, but great for what you want them to do.

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I get about a year out of shoes. A decade? sheesh, you're lucky!

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    I get about a year out of shoes. A decade? sheesh, you're lucky!
    no kidding. If I get two seasons, I feel like I hit the jackpot

is buachail foighneach me
    i second shimanos. i like their all mountain versions, the am30, or if you're feeling rich, the am50

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    i second shimanos. i like their all mountain versions, the am30, or if you're feeling rich, the am50
    +1 For the Shimano AM50's..........................CF.

Space Ghost
    Although I am not a huge S fan. I have flogged the crap out of these:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=39460

I think I paid about $90 online, but that was a couple years ago. Good luck.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I moved from Sidi's to Specialized Mountain Comp.

MUCH stiffer than Sidi but they last about half as long in the velcro department.

To me, that is a worth sacrifice, since the Sidi's are downright flexy in the sole dept.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by crux
    After over a decade my cycling shoes (SIDI) are considering retirement. Even in this poor economy and with their 401K in the crapper, they decided due to health reasons (a broken sole) that it is time. I will miss them dearly. Even though they are not yet cold in the grave I must consider replacing them. Since I'm on a 29er SS the new pair will not be treated with caring love and attention, yet abused worse than a red headed stepchild. Trails here are a mix of sand or rock with a stream crossing every now and again.

Lake MX165. Durable, comfortable, walkable (Vibram sole), not expensive.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

loud hubs save lives
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    I moved from Sidi's to Specialized Mountain Comp.

MUCH stiffer than Sidi but they last about half as long in the velcro department.

To me, that is a worth sacrifice, since the Sidi's are downright flexy in the sole dept.
    +1 ... i almost bought sidis 2 seasons ago until i tried on the Specy BG shoes.

They were so much more comfortable to me (more boxy, not as pointy in the toe area), especially paired with the insole that matched my arch.

mtbr member
    I have been riding nothing but Shimano shoes for the last 8 years. They are durable and just fit my feet very well. I get about 2 seasons out of a pair. I just check the usual internet retailers for what's on sale. I have gotten some great deals from Nashbar and Performance, shoes on sale and then another 15 or 20 % off from one of their coupons. That said, you should get whatever fits your feet the best. Shoes are like saddles, you have to find the one that fits your anotomy and stick with that brand.

Mark

mtbr member

AM50's for $51.99

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    +1 For the Shimano AM50's..........................CF.
    Go here and then apply the 20% off coupon:

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...5_10000_201472

Unfortunately, only sized smaller than 45 (which is what I need).

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    Damn you Dicky!

I alternate between the Pearls
    https://www.pearlizumi.com/product.p...uct_id=1236123

and

the Keens
    https://www.keenfootwear.com/product...ad/springwater

Pearls are lighter and walk better. Keens are a bit more substantial.

Is dang happy!
    I glued the soles back on my Northwaves and then sewed fresh fuzzy velcro on just to get a few more years out of them but retirement is near. More recommendations please.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster
    +1 ... i almost bought sidis 2 seasons ago until i tried on the Specy BG shoes.

They were so much more comfortable to me (more boxy, not as pointy in the toe area), especially paired with the insole that matched my arch.
    +3...........but went with the Specy Taho ($75) and a set of their +++green insoles (kinda pricey @ $45 but very worthwhile for my feet!).

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=40338

BG performance footbeds:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=40659

Quote Originally Posted by bikeny
    .....That said, you should get whatever fits your feet the best. Shoes are like saddles, you have to find the one that fits your anotomy and stick with that brand.

Mark
    Yes, gotta go with fit and comfortable!
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

saddlemeat
    I have been using Pearl Izumi, just got a new pair after 4 years on the previous pair. Much prefer them to Sidi, but it could be the shape of my foot. The Sidis don't provide much protection to the outside of the foot, especially the little toe area. The Pearlys are stiffer so my foot doesn't roll to the outside. I've tried, and worn out, both the regular and mega Sidis, btw.
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Well truth of the matter is SIDIs feel like ou've had them for 10 years from the very first time you put them on, but after the soles on my Dom5s coming off not even a year after purchase and then twice again since and the velcro not lasting any real lnegth of time I won't be purchasing another pair. Got to a gree with the Shimanos, good value for money for the every day rider - I've flogged my even cheaper pair off and on for 5 years and a few sole resticks and they're now about to keel over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

( )
    Nov 2004
    +1 on the keens. I bought a pair for commuting, but they're all I wear now. i have sidi's, but they started to come apart at the seams, offer no protection at all and sticks get jammed under the buckle making removal a pain in the ass.

Keep on Rockin...

Sidis...

Quote Originally Posted by crux

For almost 15 years I rode Sidis and loved'm. Fit like a glove. On long rides however, they cause just a bit of foot numbness - it got much worse over the years. Also, after a season or two on a pair of Sidis I find the soles go soft under the cleat.

Last winter I tried a Specialized winter model. Liked them so much I bought a regular season pair for this year. The uppers don't quite have wrap around your foot-fit like a glove feel, but overall I like them much better. Especially the sole. No foot numbness, better for hike-a-biking. More wiggle room for the toes also on cool mornings. Cheaper too.

I must say that I do think Spec has put some real research into their stuff. Seem to work real well.

Old School
    Jul 2004
    I got some louis garneau's recently. They're fine till you have to put a foot down. THe plastic soles are super slippery and cause me to have bleeding by slipping on rocks. We have significant rocks here in Lake Tahoe.

is buachail foighneach me
    shoes...shoes....shoes....oh my god!

mebbe not safe for work(language and wierdness)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCF3ywukQYA

Keep on Rockin...

Shimi's...

Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    These shoes are durable, cheap, and good for semi-sexy nights out on the town.

https://teamdicky.blogspot.com/2009/...g-reviews.html

A little heavy for racer types, but great for what you want them to do.

Do they have mesh over the toes?

I hate mesh. One slosh through a small puddle and you have soggy toes for the rest of the day. Wet here in the NE.

Members who have read this thread: 0