shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: shoes

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

shoes

just trying to get a feel of what people think are the best non clipless shoes for crandbrothers 50/50 platforms. i heard about the 5 10s. just trying to see what else is out there

mtbr member
    karimor walking shoes, yeh i know, its what i have been wearing all season
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

StraightOuttaCompton
    circa skate shoes are primo.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    any skate shoe with waffle pattern will do.

but 5.10's are buttaaaa

also, i found with the 50/50's if you get the pin placement and length right, they might just stick to anything
    Last edited by brillantesdv; 12-13-2008 at 11:38 AM.

Glad to Be Alive
    I just wear Nike high top basketball shoes without the plastic arch...gives great ankle support and good grip
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Another vote for the Five Tens.

How committed are you to the 50/50's though?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    im not commited at all. i just happen to like crankbrothers and i figured i would go with them next. i have mallets right now but i just got a santa cruz bullit and didn't want to go clipless on it. i open to combination suggestions. i haven't bought anything yet

mtbr member
    I really like the crankbrothers clipless pedals, but I do not think I have been on a worse platform pedal. Dont get me wrong - the 50/50 look fabulous, and offer ok grip with good shoes, but with mediocre shoes they are just sh!t.

for cheap pedals I like the welgo mags - can be picked up for under $50 - nice light magnesium platform.

If you wanna spend some $$$ then the straightlines are fricking amazing, and I love the look and feel of the dark cycles arachnids.

The Beaver
    5.10's
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

For The Win
    Sneaux Shoes, one of their tread patterns is just about perfectly flat with huge surface area, and they grip in really well.
    Slow is cool too, right?

Pivotal figure
    If you get the 5.10's you'll be spoiled forever. I can't see how I rode all those years on my other shoes (seriously, they're that good).
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

My leg feels funny
    I'd recommend the 5.10's but if you don't have the budget for 'special activity' shoes then I'd recommend any pair of Van's with the waffle pattern.

mtbr member
    5.10's are by far the best. 50/50 pedals suck, get something better like wellgo MG-1's.

EastBaySteez
    I did not believe in the 5.10 hype for the longest time. Now I will not wear anything else.
    (I came from rocking Time Z's and Crank Bro's Mallets)

In this instance, believe the hype. You'll love yourself for it.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Oh, So Interesting!
    5.10s w/ Kona Wah Wah pedals.

mtbr member
    I grew up on skate shoes and they have nothing on 5.10s. Definitely go for the 5.10s!

Petty and weak
    As above. I'm converted.
    ~ Downride and Freehill, nothing else ~

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    I just picked up a pair of 5-10 Rennies and holy cow I'm glad I did. They fit so well I think they might be the best fitting shoes I've ever had, and I don't mean just riding shoes. I took them out on their first ride today and man are they awesome. They stick like clipless pedals and they also work great in hike-a-bike mode. I highly recommend them over regular skate style shoes.

squish is good
    I think the 50/50's get a bad rap from a performance standpoint because some people don't take the time to get the pin setup right. Stock, they are crap, but I found when I went with 8mm pins on the front and rear and 5mm pins in the middle row they gripped just as tenaciously as any pedal I've ever ridden. They are overpriced, but they work right if you use the right pins. There are cheaper pedals out there that perform better out of the box though.

As for shoes, I'm using 661 Filters now but will probably give 5.10's a shot in the future based on reputation. The Filters are good but I have the cleat hole hacked out and I think the 50/50's can provide more grip if I have some sole there. I really prefer a shoe that has a supportive/stiff sole for riding platforms, especially pedals that have a void space in the center. I've ridden with Vans, running shoes, and some skate shoes in the past and I felt like my foot was rolling over the outside of the pedal (I think I tend to stand on the outer part of the platform most of the time anyways), or sinking into the middle without the stiff sole. I think the bike shoes are worth the extra $ because of that feature.
    Bike good, work bad.

wretch
    5.10's . . . I was clipless till I tore my knee up. . . went and got some spesh lo pro mag 2's and 5.10's. If they had a 12/5 they would be killer. Im happy with the size 13's and look forward to breaking em in. I can just barely get my leg over a bike now but I threw the shoes on and stepped on the pedals. . . pull up and they come up with my foot just like clipless, supppper sticky. So I have not even gotten to really ride on em but I think the feel and the stick factor alone have me sold. They look tight too. Look around the web, there are some new models coming out as well. . . one called the Karver I think.

Pivotal figure
    I actually have those on order! Not available till Feb though

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Am I the only one here who has 5.10's but ISN"T totally sold on them? I find them too stiff (both in chassis and in the stiffness of the rubber to the pins, you cant mush your feet slightly for fine tuning adjustments in stance, you have to take your foot all the way off to move it a millimeter. The shoes are really heavy, and I can pedal way harder and faster with skate shoes that weigh half as much.

I'm not fighting my feet with other shoes, where I am with these.

edit: and I've had them for about 6 months.

Nov 2008
    Not to Hijack this thread, but Im in the market for some 5.10's (not the S.Hill gay flag version though). How's the sizing compared to skate shoes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cal63look
    Not to Hijack this thread, but Im in the market for some 5.10's (not the S.Hill gay flag version though). How's the sizing compared to skate shoes?
    true to sizing.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by brillantesdv
    true to sizing.
    ..but really wide. I went down 1/2 size, but most guys wear the same size as regular. My toes touch the front a tiny bit, but they fit better overall. My foot size is 11.5D, pretty average.

Nov 2008
    Cool thanks fellas, Im still shocked to see half sizes..you normally see those in smaller shoes but usually never in larger shoe sizes, size 13 here i come!

Oh and BTW those that are saying the 50/50xx are pricey then they need to shop, you can swoop them up for around 50-60 bucks new (and they come with extra colored plates and longer pins) I have the 5050xx silver and black and they came with (4) extra red plates too.

Pivotal figure

William42

I had some trouble getting used to mine but finally found a decent solution; shorter pins. The longer pins made it really hard to readjust without lifting my foot but the shorter ones are just enough to grip and still allow some movement. Running Premium Slims BTW. Was running Wellgo Mags. Length difference is 3mm on the Slims vs 4.5mm on the Mags.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    I had some trouble getting used to mine but finally found a decent solution; shorter pins. The longer pins made it really hard to readjust without lifting my foot but the shorter ones are just enough to grip and still allow some movement. Running Premium Slims BTW. Was running Wellgo Mags. Length difference is 3mm on the Slims vs 4.5mm on the Mags.
    Already running half pin/shorter pin setup. The combo is stickier then skate shoes, but without the benefits. I will probably go back to skate shoes at some point.

wretch
    I've heard that Vans are coming out with a dedicated MTB shoe, as well as Nike. . .

mtbr member
    One word, FIVETEN. Nothing compares.

Takes a few days to get used to, cause the grip is really massive so you got to get your foot positioned right on the pedal straight away "from the gate". But after that it feels stupid to ride with normal skate shoes.
    Retarded!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I used the JackShits for more than half the season at Diablo, with some old Converse basketball shoes (weapons, not chucks). I'd slip a pedal a couple of times a day most probably, no big deal. Then I picked up a bike with the NYCFreeride Glory Hole pedals on it. I don't think I lost a pedal except for the times when I crashed.

However, I still picked up some 510s when they came up on Chainlove, haha.

Card-carrying wotmeister
    I agree with the lack-of-budget-option, Vans. However, it's ideal to not do anything with them except for bike, or at least not wear them every single day, which is what I do. The tread is really worn down and the borders of the waffles have little rips in them now.

Time for a new pair..... but I don't feel like shellin' out another $20.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Mosimmo skate shoes from Target, really good for $20.00, well made, held up all season.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I ride the Mad Rock Fury on 50/50's. They have sticky dot soles similar to 5.10 and a low key look. They have yet to let me down. If you hunt you can find them for around $50.

Fury_L.jpg

Dec 2008
    Kona "jack ****" pedals. Wear any shoe you want.

THELAND photographer
    Quote Originally Posted by woody7795
    im not commited at all. i just happen to like crankbrothers and i figured i would go with them next. i have mallets right now but i just got a santa cruz bullit and didn't want to go clipless on it. i open to combination suggestions. i haven't bought anything yet

i was in the boat with you man...got the new SC Bullit...rode some sick FR trails for 2 weeks and once i started going bigger i felt sketched out on the clips...for now im rocking some Cannondale Grind pedals(need longer pins) and some skate shoes and im stickin pretty well

mtbr member
    Just stick to 5.10's!!! you wont regret it.

TRUST ME

Back at it and LOVIN' it!
    5.10's are amazing - Sam Hill's can be found about $50 off MSRP - Who cares about the "flag" when its all about the snake skin! - I just rode them with a pair of Azonic Pookys this weekend and I don't know if I'll go back to clipless they were that good
    Ride Hard - Ride Safe - Have Fun

Go s#!t...I'm not a fish

RTG

Feb 2008
    How is the sizing of the 5.10's? Can you go with your regular shoesize or should you go one lower?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Filter's from 661?

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by RTG
    How is the sizing of the 5.10's? Can you go with your regular shoesize or should you go one lower?

I have both

I wear a 9.5 in almost all shoes. Size 9.5 5.10's fit like gloves

Fliters run big. I have a size 9 and they fit like 10's or 10.5's The soles of the shoes are not grippy at all. Its hard plastic. I only rock them with my clips.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

RTG

Feb 2008
    Awesome, thanks for feedback.
    Filters i can go try in shop, but the 5.10's I'd have to order online... I'd prefer the latter though, so I should be safe with ordering my regular shoesize.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by RTG

Did you read the thread? I talked about Filters earlier on. I don't think they are hard plastic soled but they definitely aren't crazy gummy. I'd say they are equivalent to most skate shoe soles. They run true to size for me, maybe a little wide. I wear the same size as I do for running/casual shoes.
    Bike good, work bad.

Jersey Hucker
    I have the Nike 6.0 Air Morgans and they grip pretty good, but 5.10s seem to be the best.

RTG

Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    Did you read the thread? I talked about Filters earlier on. I don't think they are hard plastic soled but they definitely aren't crazy gummy. I'd say they are equivalent to most skate shoe soles. They run true to size for me, maybe a little wide. I wear the same size as I do for running/casual shoes.
    It's human to perhaps miss something at a first glance isn't it? Anyway, cheers for the feedback, think i'll go with the 5.10's.

mtbr member
    the marzocchi shoes have the same soles as the 5-10's and I love mine with my atom lab pedals

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I liked the Intense shoes better than 5 10s

mtbr member
    Another one for 5.10's. Just got a pair in the mail yesterday and WOW what a difference. I have 50/50's and the difference is AMAZING/UNBELIEVABLE over my old Vans. I got mine off ebay from rideSFO and the showed up 2 days after a "buy it now", crazy fast free shipping!
    Beer, a Pork Chop in every can!

Aug 2008

5-10 Rennies

Get em at backcountry.com right now for $82. I did . Smokin deal!!!

Perpetual Hack
    5.10's and Dark Cycle Arachnid pedals =

I find they run true to size, I wear an 11 in most, and an 11 in 5.10's.

They are stiff and feel a bit "over-stuffed" at first.
    Try to wear them around the house/casual for a few days before on the trails. They take quite a bit of time to break-in if you only use them on the bike. Before they are broken in they can feel a bit wooden, can tire your feet quite a bit, and are harder to reposition ( due to the wooden lack of feel ) After they break-in they have good feel, no numb arches or tingly toes and you can adjust your stance without taking your foot completely off the pedal - does take a bit of technique tho....

Give em a try, I doubt very much you will disappointed. Just remember to give them some break-in time before passing judgment.

michael

Back at it and LOVIN' it!
    5.10 Sam Hills and Nathan Rennies at backcountry.com outlet

True to size and feel great on - I agree with mykel...stiff and over-stuffed at first...I've never worn puffy tongue skate shoes before so that took a minute to get use to but felt snug and comfortable - I wore mine around the house for a couple days before I had the chance to get out on the trail - I figured I'd be pedaling more with mine so I went with the Sam Hill low top at $77 but think I may pick up a pair of Rennies for that smoking price
    Ride Hard - Ride Safe - Have Fun

Go s#!t...I'm not a fish

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasy_66
    Get em at backcountry.com right now for $82. I did . Smokin deal!!!
    I've had a couple of rides on the Rennies so far and I'm totally sold on them. They are awesome, I couldn't be happier.

Members who have read this thread: 0