Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

shoes

4K views 50 replies 36 participants last post by  NorKal 
#1 ·
just trying to get a feel of what people think are the best non clipless shoes for crandbrothers 50/50 platforms. i heard about the 5 10s. just trying to see what else is out there

#7 ·
im not commited at all. i just happen to like crankbrothers and i figured i would go with them next. i have mallets right now but i just got a santa cruz bullit and didn't want to go clipless on it. i open to combination suggestions. i haven't bought anything yet

#8 ·
I really like the crankbrothers clipless pedals, but I do not think I have been on a worse platform pedal. Dont get me wrong - the 50/50 look fabulous, and offer ok grip with good shoes, but with mediocre shoes they are just sh!t.

for cheap pedals I like the welgo mags - can be picked up for under $50 - nice light magnesium platform.

If you wanna spend some $$$ then the straightlines are fricking amazing, and I love the look and feel of the dark cycles arachnids.

#18 ·
I just picked up a pair of 5-10 Rennies and holy cow I'm glad I did. They fit so well I think they might be the best fitting shoes I've ever had, and I don't mean just riding shoes. I took them out on their first ride today and man are they awesome. They stick like clipless pedals and they also work great in hike-a-bike mode. I highly recommend them over regular skate style shoes.

#19 ·
I think the 50/50's get a bad rap from a performance standpoint because some people don't take the time to get the pin setup right. Stock, they are crap, but I found when I went with 8mm pins on the front and rear and 5mm pins in the middle row they gripped just as tenaciously as any pedal I've ever ridden. They are overpriced, but they work right if you use the right pins. There are cheaper pedals out there that perform better out of the box though.

As for shoes, I'm using 661 Filters now but will probably give 5.10's a shot in the future based on reputation. The Filters are good but I have the cleat hole hacked out and I think the 50/50's can provide more grip if I have some sole there. I really prefer a shoe that has a supportive/stiff sole for riding platforms, especially pedals that have a void space in the center. I've ridden with Vans, running shoes, and some skate shoes in the past and I felt like my foot was rolling over the outside of the pedal (I think I tend to stand on the outer part of the platform most of the time anyways), or sinking into the middle without the stiff sole. I think the bike shoes are worth the extra $ because of that feature.

#20 ·
5.10's . . . I was clipless till I tore my knee up. . . went and got some spesh lo pro mag 2's and 5.10's. If they had a 12/5 they would be killer. Im happy with the size 13's and look forward to breaking em in. I can just barely get my leg over a bike now but I threw the shoes on and stepped on the pedals. . . pull up and they come up with my foot just like clipless, supppper sticky. So I have not even gotten to really ride on em but I think the feel and the stick factor alone have me sold. They look tight too. Look around the web, there are some new models coming out as well. . . one called the Karver I think.

#22 ·
Am I the only one here who has 5.10's but ISN"T totally sold on them? I find them too stiff (both in chassis and in the stiffness of the rubber to the pins, you cant mush your feet slightly for fine tuning adjustments in stance, you have to take your foot all the way off to move it a millimeter. The shoes are really heavy, and I can pedal way harder and faster with skate shoes that weigh half as much.

I'm not fighting my feet with other shoes, where I am with these.

edit: and I've had them for about 6 months.

#26 ·
Cool thanks fellas, Im still shocked to see half sizes..you normally see those in smaller shoes but usually never in larger shoe sizes, size 13 here i come!

Oh and BTW those that are saying the 50/50xx are pricey then they need to shop, you can swoop them up for around 50-60 bucks new (and they come with extra colored plates and longer pins) I have the 5050xx silver and black and they came with (4) extra red plates too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.